Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys/gals
Im strongly considering a multi, this will be my first duc, I cant decide between a new 950 and a used 2017 1200(10k kms)

Currently im on a superduke but really want something with some touring capability that doesnt suck on the highway and in the colder months of the year(I imagine big fairing, windshield, heated grips, panniers etc will likely help with this)

I've heard people say the 950 is supposedly more fun as you get to use more of the bike more of the time etc,
I've also heard some duc owners say the vast majority who get the 950 have regrets, so I wanted your thoughts on the matter.

Thanks

·
Premium Member
4,293 Posts
Hi guys/gals
Im strongly considering a multi, this will be my first duc, I cant decide between a new 950 and a used 2017 1200(10k kms)

Currently im on a superduke but really want something with some touring capability that doesnt suck on the highway and in the colder months of the year(I imagine big fairing, windshield, heated grips, panniers etc will likely help with this)

I've heard people say the 950 is supposedly more fun as you get to use more of the bike more of the time etc,
I've also heard some duc owners say the vast majority who get the 950 have regrets, so I wanted your thoughts on the matter.

Thanks
I use all the power of the 1200 and would not want less on the bike (I'd actually like 15-20 more)... but it really depends on how you like to ride. How do you feel about the power on the SD? Do you use it all or do you find yourself short shifting and going easy on the "consume fuel and go" button? I think if you wouldn't be happy with a 50hp less SD you may not like a 50hp less Multi... but if you never use the power then you'll likely be perfectly happy with the 950 (which is a great bike).

There's not really a wrong answer here...

Reactions: bigpops

·
Registered
5 Posts
I've just sold a 939 Supersport and changed to a 1200 DVT multi, the Supersport uses more or less the same engine as the 950 Multi.
I was actually looking for a 950 Multi as the performance is absolutely fine for me for the road. If you want more torque and HP, then obviously the 1200/1260 will tick that box, but if you just want a motor that will do the job quite happy then so will the 950.
The only answer will be to ride both and see what works for you, but I'm glad to see you're not sucked into the biggest is best debate 👍

·
Premium Member
12,395 Posts
I usually go big, having more than you need you may get the "feeling" of crap I over did it. Having the "feeling" of crap I could use more, should have went bigger, Stings and eats away at you in a different way.
When you go Wide Open Throttle you get the Thrill that makes you feel.
DIRTY.
HOLY MOLY
WOW I HOPE NO LEO'S AROUND
Somehow it makes you think about your maturity level.
Great fun, you decide.!!!

·
Registered
2017 Ducati Multistrada 950, 2018 Desert Sled
154 Posts
Just completed a tour to big bend Texas. I love the 19” wheel for some off road. The motor is very reliable and does not produce as much heat at the 1260. The main difference is the torque available over 100 mph. I don’t regularly ride over 100 mph so it’s not an issue for me at 170 lbs (plus gear and panniers).

·
Premium Member
5,274 Posts
which superduke?

As mentioned it is based a bit on how you like to ride, I used to use the power everywhere but now I get my kicks on the race track so am more than happy to not have big Hp on the road as I do not enjoy speeding on the roads as much anymore.

I also would consider the new vs used angle as you are about half way to a expensive service and likely have no warranty with that one where the new bike has a warranty if you need it.

·
Premium Member
12,395 Posts
Then you gets into the New Models sometimes not as good or they cheaped out on new models to make more profit.
Now many of us don't need the glossy version Ohlins or whatever, Fancy wheels, Carbon fiber over plastic bits.
Expensive paint schemes, lighting. The list goes on.
I do what I call full circle research. My gut feelings for bigger/best as opposed to what will do.
Make a list on paper with a line down the middle, left side wants , right side needs. Pluses and minuses. Then think about it.
If you are paying for it get what you want. AND NEVER LOOK AT THE BILL.
What fun! Enjoy the process.

·
Registered
330 Posts
Coming from a 2014 1200S to a 2019 950S I can say I do not regret.

The 950S has all the same electronic gizmos and nannies of the 1260S (except the bluetooth module, that apparently doesn't work anyway) and the engine is quite nice, I ride regularly with other Multis 1200/1260 and never fall behind. I might have to work a bit more than them, but on city/highway riding it rides along without a sweat. I've done 138mph on mine and it got there on a steady-fast pace and wasn't able to pass that, on the 1200 I stopped at 150mph (but the bike could have continued). On a track it would probably stay behind, after all you're about 45hp short, but you wouldn't be disappointed in real life.

The only reasons I would say you have to go for this 2017 you were offered (and miss the advantage of a new bike's warranty and distance from the Desmo services) are:
  • You like and use all that extra power, as @DaveK mentioned above
  • You regularly travel longer distances with full luggage + pillion. With a pillion and luggage I believe the extra power will be missed

I suggest you test drive both and make up your mind. The 950S is a bit taller than the 1200.

Reactions: DaveNZ

·
Registered
481 Posts
On public roads, most of us will get from point A to point B in the same amount of time with 65 horsepower or 165 horsepower. It's not the track so we don't keep the hammer down all the time to hit a lap time. If you ride like I do with my friends (and assuming no significant difference in ability), we go quick through the twisty bits and slow down/relax when the road straightens up. Occasionally we'll give a nice blast out of a corner and keep the throttle open down a chunk of straight, but either way we eventually roll off the throttle, relax and let the speed fall before attacking the next section of curves. With two riders of equal ability riding like this through a section of twisties, the faster bike might make it through a couple of seconds quicker, then roll of the throttle. All the slower bike has to do is roll off the throttle a couple of seconds later and the group tightens right back up. It's pretty easy to make up 2 seconds on a straight without even feeling like you're trying.

When riding like above, if you just want to keep up with your riding buddies, then I agree, you don't "need" a lot of horsepower or torque. However, as others have mentioned, for me it is about the "feel" of the ride. The 1200 delivers big torque waves that the 950 cannot match and it has a high rpm horsepower hit that the 950 does not have. You may or may not value either of those, but if you value one or both, you'll want the 1200.

·
Premium Member
4,293 Posts
I would add that even in the twisty bits you don't need that extra power to have fun... and having that extra power IS a temptation that many of us make a conscious decision to avoid (which is perfectly valid). But I'm generally ;-) able to behave myself overall, and I'm fairly addicted to that little power wheelie that you get coming out of a hairpin in second... and I don't have a problem with the extra cost required to get that (admittedly fairly useless most of the time) power. So... I guess it's up to each of us to decide what their particular situation steers them to.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Here is a great YouTube on this subject.
I again had the same unfortunate dilemma as yourself, Which one? The guys at bike world have attempted to answer this, not very straight forward question.
I feel they've done a great job and made an entertaining video at the same time.
I have ridden many miles on both and am very happy with the choice I have made.
Very best of luck with yours!!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I have a 2020 superduke, I guess most of the time I try to keep myself under the speed limit(thank god for cruise control), occasionally I'll open it up for a quick smile or giggle, or when I need to overtake someone, I dont really wanna take an expensive new toy to the track tbh

I live in a pretty flat and straight part of the country, most of the good roads are at least a 2-3 hour freeway ride away(one way)

The other thing I have heard from people who have owned/own both the 1290 SA and the 1200/1260 multi is that while the 1290 is pretty insane everywhere in the rev range, the 1200 doesnt really come alive till 5k+ rpms

·
Registered
887 Posts
I have a 2021 950S, i traded my 1200 multi in on it. I also have a 2020 1290R SD. Love both the bikes. The 950S is an awesome MC, very nice smooth engine with good power, and amazing suspension. 1290R is brutal power, and great fun on the track, the 950 makes a good partner, its less intimidating, its very easy to ride, good 2up, nice quick shifter with a very good gearbox, and its quite good on the gravel. I don't miss having 30hp less on it over the 1200 multi, it gets along just as rapid, and is quite nimble. It really has a very very nice engine.

·
Registered
25 Posts
If you're at all interested in riding off pavement, the 950 is going to be a little better set up for that than a 1200 unless you're looking at an Enduro. Even then, I'd consider the 950 over the 1200 Enduro because of the lighter weight. The 950 has a 19" front with the option for spiked wheels and a double sided swingarm like the 1200 Enduro. The 950 has a standard size gas tank versus the Enduro's 7.9(?) gallon tank, adding weight up top.

If you're not going to be riding off road, if you're of the "more is better" bent, or if you absolutely have to have a single sided swingarm, go for the big bike.

I'm 220 lbs and the power of my 950 is "enough." I have plenty of fun in the Twisties and still reach triple digits on occasion on the slab. It helps that I found mine used for a good price and it already had all the Ducati Touratech Enduro bits added.

·
Registered
2021 Multistrada V4S Radar & Travel Pack
45 Posts
G'day Bigpops,

The 950 has the latest tech and may well be worth sacrificing some grunt from the wild child 1200. My friends have a 1200S touring 2011 with Ohlins, and the other is a 16 1200 DVT with the hard angled seat (a PITA). That will be a big thing to consider..... though I came from a KTM so a hard seat is kinda normal :LOL: for us.......:unsure:

I recommend you get some test rides on various models before buying - the MS has changed a lot over the years and some like the early ones (2010-2015) because they still have that lumpy engine, others like the DVT because it's almost like a 4cyl. Only you will know what is best for you...... I have sat on a 20 1260 and it was vastly more comfortable and much changed over the 1200DVT I rode for 150kms (and didn't like). I especially liked a 2013 Pikes Peak I had a ride on way back in 2013....... now that was a great model MS.

I now have a 21 V4SMS which is awesome yet also plush....... fancy that, Gold Wing comfort on a sports bike that can tour long distances... (y)

Test ride that 950 or even the much derided 1260, for your own knowledge........ you might be surprised..... many forum reports are so self focused they may not be of any use to you. The newer the bike, the better the tech and the lower the servicing costs...... Ducati has really lifted their game.

(y)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts