Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Mexican Ducatista
1,064 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I am truly in love with my 1100 1st gen hyper.
It never lets me down to bring out a smile from my face when I go out for a spirited ride in the canyons.

But I am seriously considering adding another bike to the stable for long trips and to ride with my lady (keeping her more comfortable).
If you ask the Multistrada guys, most of them will tell you to get a 1200 Multi and discard the 950. Because the price of a used 1200 can be very close to a new 950.

Yes! I know that bigger is better. More engine from the 1200, better looks with the single sided swing arm, better handling on the road due to the smaller front wheel (17 in on the 1200 and 19in on the 950) and better quality componentes. The 1200 "is" better. And some even call the 950 the poor man's Multi.
But in my eyes, the power of the 1200 engine comes at a great cost: A more complex DVT engine from which some horror stories have been written.
I am also the kind of guy that likes to work on my own bike, and the 1200 engine would require me to rely on expensive (and sometimes doubtful) service made by someone else.

On the other hand, the 950 has an hypermotard engine that has received very good reviews with 113hp. It is lighter than the 1200 (but a lot heavier than the hyper). The 950 engine is more complex than the 1100 engine I have done valves to, but not as complex as the 1200. I am assuming that I can learn to work on it myself (something I might not even try with the 1200 DVT).

In all reviews I've seen the 950 comes out fine. Everyone seems to like it, but I have not seen many out there. My perception is that sales are low. Maybe most people go straight to the 1200.

Has any Hypermotard owner in the forum got any experience riding a 950 Multi?
How was it?
Would you consider buying it as an alternative (not replacement) to your hyper?

·
Registered
101 Posts
Have you thought about a Hyperstrada for two up touring and bags?

I personally would avoid the 950 Multi. The 1200S is such a great bike that I would be hard pressed to tell anyone to avoid buying it in lieu of something else.

·
Mexican Ducatista
1,064 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Have you thought about a Hyperstrada for two up touring and bags?

I personally would avoid the 950 Multi. The 1200S is such a great bike that I would be hard pressed to tell anyone to avoid buying it in lieu of something else.
Besides the single sided swing arm and the 17 inch front wheel, the only advantage of the 1200s over the 950s Multi is the Higher power and torque engine, according to reviewers (a significant advantage though).

Personally, power and torque are not the main features I am looking for right now in a touring bike, as I plan to maintain the 1100s hyper in the stable to provide the adrenalin rush during my canyon carving rides. I just need enough power to ride not too slow with two up.

The hyperstrada is out of the question. The wind protection it provides is similar to the hypermotard. Not very comfortable when riding a few hours at highway speeds. I think that is the reason why Ducati replaced it with the 950 Multi.

·
Registered
1 Posts
hi everyone, could you give me some information about multistrada 950 it is different 2020 model and to olders? thank you.

·
Registered
124 Posts
hi guys,

First hand opinion from someone (me) who traded a 2014 Multi 1200S for a 2019 Multi 950S with Spoked Wheels.

The 950S has all the electronic gizmos from the 1200S (electronic suspension, cornering abs, quickshifter, cruise control, tft color panel, etc). The difference to the 1200S is only what was mentioned before, the double swing arm, 19" front wheel and obviously the engine.

My perceptions are the following:
  • built quality, technology available and riding position: the same
  • weight and nimbleness: a lot better. although the bike is not necessarily smaller and the weight difference on the scale is smaller than one would imagine, the bike feels a lot lighter and nimbler for city use. It also feels a little narrower between the legs
  • engine power: significant difference. Don't get me wrong, the 950 has a good engine and will not let you down by any means, but it doesn't have the "scare factor" of the 1200. On the 1200 every time you really twist the throttle you basically dirt your pants if you're not 100% ready for the reaction
  • the 19" front wheel: if you eventually go on a small off-road or gravel, it makes a huge difference. In my opinion (not expert, far from it), it doesn't take away anything on road/city unless you're really pushing it. For a track it would make a difference, but than the Multi (whichever Multi) is not the right equipment to use there....
I went for the 950 vs another 1200 because I don't need all that power, it's way above my intentions and my riding skills. On the 950 I've gone to 130mph and I admit I didn't feel there was a lot of bike left to go, whereas on the 1200 that speed felt like you were only half way thru, but I don't go there often. Also, the 950 got there easily and leaving behind several other bikes I was riding with (mainly cruisers).

If the intention is to drag with other bikes, the 1200 would be your choice. If you want to comfortably cruise, 1 or 2 up, the 950S will give you all you need, the same level of comfort and electronic assistance at a smaller price tag. The "poor mans Multi" doesn't apply in my opinion, we are talking about $17K (in the USA) toys here.... yes for $2.5-3K more you can go for the 1200, but I don't think that level of difference makes anyone richer or poorest.

Cheers,

·
Registered
124 Posts
Fixed some typos above, but would like to clarify why I highlighted the “S” so much in the text above.

You only get the electronic assistance and other belles & whistles on the S model, and that to me is a lot of difference. Specially the electronic suspension, the cornering ABS and the cruise control.

·
Mexican Ducatista
1,064 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Fixed some typos above, but would like to clarify why I highlighted the “S” so much in the text above.

You only get the electronic assistance and other belles & whistles on the S model, and that to me is a lot of difference. Specially the electronic suspension, the cornering ABS and the cruise control.
Yes! I noticed the “S”.
Thanks!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts