Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
950 hypermotard forum
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got held up the other day and ended up riding home in the dark. Low beam is OK, but the high beam sucks. I live in the bush, so there are no shortage of kangaroos, wombats and feral deer, all of which become very expensive if you don't see them

Has anyone upgraded the globe? Anyone found any auxiliary lighting that fits up neatly?

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

·
Registered
14 Posts
I found one eBay for $750… way overpriced.

I’ve reached out to Cyclops in Kent WA to see if they have an option. I haven’t looked at the rear of the housing to see if there would be clearance for their heat exchanger/fan assembly.

·
Registered
81 Posts
I found one eBay for $750… way overpriced.

I’ve reached out to Cyclops in Kent WA to see if they have an option. I haven’t looked at the rear of the housing to see if there would be clearance for their heat exchanger/fan assembly.
Not too familiar with them, got a website?

The thought for me was to get a headlight, pull it open and throw in a TheRetrofitSource single projector. But as you said, the only headlight for sale is $750... Absolutely crazy.

·
Registered
14 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Bad news--no way to get the H4 connector between the rear housing (black plastic) and the reflector.

In order for this retrofit to work, I'll need to sacrafice the $7 plastic H4 cover (p/n 39040351A) and hack up a deeper cup to fit the driver and h4 connector:

Yellow Automotive design Gadget Camera lens Film camera

It's entirely possible the connetor and driver will fit in the void space between the refletor and black plastic, but i'd need to pull the tabs on the headlight housing to get into it. I'm not interested in that. I've had bad experience cracking those kind of tabs on clear plastic!

Here's what a deeper cup looks like on the F800GS with the same bulbs:
Circle Cuisine Baked goods Camera accessory Font

I'll need to cut a hole in the rear cap, pass the barrel connector through, silicone it up and reinstall.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Welp, I got the LED in by modifying the rear cap. Lit up just fine. Then I dropped the housing stupidly and a plastic clip retaining the reflector dislodged inside the housing. So now I do have to break the seal and get in there. Not excited about that, but this is more often than not, w
Automotive tire Material property Automotive lighting Rim Audio equipment

Automotive design Gadget Machine Reflex camera Auto part

Cameras & optics Automotive design Reflex camera Auto part Camera lens

hat happens to me in new projects..

·
Registered
14 Posts
OK got the housing open, wasn’t too hard
Brown Shipping box Textile Wood Luggage and bags

Heat gun and a cardboard box, 10min of heat up time and it came right out. What was broke was a small bit of plastic in the alignment mechanism. Repaired w/ Epoxy and reset the lens.

Here’s the results. Sorry there’s no before photo, but I can switch back if someone really cares. The color tone is dead on for the DRLs. The DRLs flicker from PWM when trying to take a picture, but the left half is illuminated.
Automotive lighting Window Hood Vehicle Automotive tail & brake light

New bulb is definitely brighter.
High Beam:
Automotive lighting Automotive tire Automotive design Motor vehicle Vehicle

Low beam:
Car Automotive lighting Automotive design Vehicle Automotive tire

DRL:
Automotive lighting Automotive design Wood Automotive exterior Gas

1 - 15 of 15 Posts