Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2,434 Posts
My track bike has the same pistons and carbs with a cut airbox lid and it doesn't sound like that. No whine. Coils and flywheel wouldn't affect the sound. On the other hand, it's hard to tell listening on a computer. Could the cam belts be too tight? Easy to check.

·
Registered
293 Posts
The engine in the video has a whine that is changing pitch with rpm but not throttle position. The flatslides have a certain whine that you can hear when opening the throttle but not at idle. That whine on the video is something else, possibly from the belts? I think the 900ss is not supposed to sound like that. I wouldn't buy the bike unless the cause of the whine is found.

·
Registered
111 Posts
The engine in the video has a whine that is changing pitch with rpm but not throttle position. The flatslides have a certain whine that you can hear when opening the throttle but not at idle. That whine on the video is something else, possibly from the belts? I think the 900ss is not supposed to sound like that. I wouldn't buy the bike unless the cause of the whine is found.
I suspect it's the belts, and probably a frozen tensioner bearing, if I just were to take a guess. But that definitely isn't carb noise. That almost sounds like a gear whine, but being so high pitched, I'm going to guess the timing belts.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.