Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Nothing works; no crank, no lights, no clicking sounds. I put the steering in locked (not "park"; I would know because my headlight is insanely bright and it would light the entire neighborhood) and this morning I came to turn in on and nothing. It was working 8 hours prior to this morning's attempt.

I have a Shorai battery. I have heard these are very sensitive to movements and I do a f***-ton of wheelies with this bike; I did not do any wheelies last night, however. It was running fine last night and now it's completely dead, but I thought I mention that. Batter is about 2 months old. Anyways, I have checked:

Main 30A fuse

All fuses in the fuse box

Starter relay connection running from the positive terminal to the relay

The fuse in the wire coming from the battery and leading to the tender is also fine.

Based on some research on forum posts here, some people consider the ignition system to be the culprit. I have a Haynes manual but I can't seem to find how to diagnose the actual switch system (correct me if I'm wrong.)

Any ideas?

·
Excel Addict
2001 900SSie
5,345 Posts
Have you checked, with a multimeter, that there is voltage at the battery terminals?

If you do not have a multimeter, you can use a turn signal bulb to test. Grab a piece of wire and wrap it around the metal collar of the bulb.
Hold the base of the bulb on either battery plus or minus, then touch the wire to the other battery terminal. The bulb will illuminate if there is charge in that battery.
The attached is for a 900SS, but I expect the M900 will be the same or very similar.
It shows where and when you will measure battery voltage at various stages of key/switch positions.

Attachments

·
Excel Addict
2001 900SSie
5,345 Posts
Assuming your battery is OK, then you can do some other tests.

Find the relay shown as 19 in the diagram.
Put your finger on it and when you turn the key you should feel it click.

No click - pull out the relay and find terminals 85 and 86 on the relay.

Grab a multimeter and put it on the 20 V DC range.
Push the meter probes into the relay socket corresponding to 85 and 86.
At key off, zero volts.
At key on 12 or so Volts.
If no voltage, then the problem is somewhere between the battery, fuse box to key to relay.
If there is voltage, the the relay may be stuffed.

Key on or off, it does not matter.

Grab a pice of wire and stick it in the relay socket terminals corresponding to 30 and 87 to simulate a closed relay.
With the handlebar switch in the run position it should crank and run.
If it does, then the relay is stuffed.
Also the horn and lights should work.

You can use the diagram to check you have voltage at the various locations indicated by the coloured arrows to see where it stops, if it does stop.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you so much for your guidance on this matter. I'll be home in about an hour or two with a multimeter and I will get to testing. I will update with the results.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts