Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
7198 miles.......

been sitting awhile.

going to order up some cooling system parts, new hoses, O-rings, union/nipples, thermostat....
take off the pump cover and check it out......

thoughts? LOL

Attachments

·
Premium Member
876 Posts
I presume the coolant was removed for track usage but did you use any other anti-corrosion additive, or just water?

·
Mayor of Simpleton
4,882 Posts
You might try to save some parts with an ultrasonic and vinegar or something. I'd definitely flush that system very well too (probably briefly with vinegar as well).

Reactions: Namor

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
no idea what was done. bike was just sitting for anywhere from a decade to 3 years. LOL

got the system apart. the killer is the metal "nipples" that come off the engine case. they are done. ........ i will pressure wash the engine (heads etc) and flush out all the junk. then replace parts. and run and flush.

·
Registered
3,951 Posts
I've seen worse, but only in an automobile.

Check the freeze plugs. Any sign of rust means that they need to be replaced.

·
Premium Member
5,737 Posts
Wow... that looks terrible. Agree with the general consensus here... Flush and replace any corroded parts.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
message sent

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
who does everyone use for Online OEM parts? i dont want to drive to the dealer if i dont have too

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
does the Left side alternator case have a gasket? or just sealant?

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
The left side case water pump nipples were completely rusted to hell. SOOOO it was easier to get a new (to me) case off eBay. i also ordered all the parts i need to get the cooling system back up. radiator looks ok, the top right vent/fill port from the bottle is a little corroded, but shall work.

going to get some Castrol 20w50 4T bike oil, non-syntetic.

soon.... soon... LOL

·
Mayor of Simpleton
4,882 Posts
Not looking for an oil debate, but why non synthetic, especially with a dry clutch?

·
Registered
1,288 Posts
Probably using some cheap[ish] oil to use as a flush. Likely any oil would do to see if the rest of the engine is sound. Were it mine I'd take the heads off check the sealing surfaces, and replace the gaskets.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Not looking for an oil debate, but why non synthetic, especially with a dry clutch?
i have heard both ways. prob run it for a bit with non synth, then change it out for ultra or comparable 20w50

·
Registered
291 Posts
I have a '94SP & it has no gasket. The parts manual manual lists Prt No 94247.0004 which is a tube of sealant

1 - 20 of 21 Posts