Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
370 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I found a well appointed 955 but with bikes that are almost 20 years old (and 28k on the clock), I have some reservations. I am waiting on some more info, and I am in opposite coast so I cannot 'see' the bike. Its not an SPS, but here is what it has:

Fast By Ferracci Motor, Dyno, Ohlins Rear Shock, Ohlins Steering Stabilizer. AP Racing Front Brake Caliper, AP Racing Front MasterCylinder, Carbon Fiber Seat Tray, Suede Saddle, Carbon Fiber Rear Fender, Air Ducts, Airbox, and Headlamp Support. Too Much Carbon Fiber to List. Magnesium Wheels, Gold Chain, Bar Risers, Extended Side Stand. New Belts and Valve Check in 2009. Only Ridden 1000 miles Since Service. New Clutch in 2010, New Starter in 2011. Receipts and Records total over $40,000

Other than who did the BB kit (and how many miles on it since) and the usual has the rear wheel spindle been inspected, alternator wiring been inspected and replaced, fuel lines & filter been replaced, connection to the starter motor been inspected, replacement of in-line fuse leads, starter relay, coolant tank, flywheel retaining & cush drive nuts, oil gallery plug & pressure sending unit, fuel sending unit and leaky clutch slave.

Are there other things that I should be asking? Also, considering price & value are two very different things, anyone want to take a swag at what its worth? Anyone familiar w/this bike?

TIA.

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
2009 belts will need to be changed.

Owners who spend thousands on aftermarket might expect to get a decent amount of that back when they sell. In truth they get pennies on the dollar the vast majority of the time. $40k spent is fairly meaningless.

A stock bike would be $5-6k. With everything listed it might be worth $10k to the right buyer.

The bike might be worth more parting out the goodies and returning it back to close to stock (with hot motor).

·
Registered
370 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
2009 belts will need to be changed.

Owners who spend thousands on aftermarket might expect to get a decent amount of that back when they sell. In truth they get pennies on the dollar the vast majority of the time. $40k spent is fairly meaningless.

A stock bike would be $5-6k. With everything listed it might be worth $10k to the right buyer.

The bike might be worth more parting out the goodies and returning it back to close to stock (with hot motor).
Would you be concerned about original mileage? I am still waiting on return of answers to my questions, but is this motor near end of life (if there is such a thing for the desmo?

·
Registered
370 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
After further investigation, this bike is from (the late) Brad Haynes collection.

Current owner does not appear to know much about it (other than he does not want it any longer).

As bad as I want it, my small sliver of sanity is telling me to get a Hypermotard (and back off the superbikes until the kids a re a bit older).

Someone should jump on it!

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
Would you be concerned about original mileage? I am still waiting on return of answers to my questions, but is this motor near end of life (if there is such a thing for the desmo?
It is impossible to say how much life the engine has left or could be expected to have left unless you knew how that mileage was accumulated. Something as simple as a compression check (but preferably the more time-consuming leakdown test) would give you a decent idea. I would probably actually be more concerned with the magnesium wheels. If I bought it I would probably have them checked for cracks immediately just in case.

If it started easy, didn't smoke when cold or hot, and had good power it might be worth a chance even without the compression check.

As for hypermotard versus superbike, how does getting rear-ended or having someone turn left in front of you make it more palatable on the Hyper?

·
Registered
940 Posts
I saw this bike last week. Needed a front tire while on a 7 day southern Appalachian ride and got it at the dealer that has the bike.

They have a 4-5" thick binder of all the records for the bike. The dealer said the bike had not been tracked and was only used as a streetbike. It looked clean, particularly for such a heavily modified bike. I did notice the tank paint is not original and the repaint wasn't the quality I would have expected.

Had a quick conversation with the dealer about the bike and got the sense they are motivated to sell. My guess is $7K might do it. He mentioned that he had a bunch of interest, but that people were put off by the lack of originality. If you want a highly modified bike, it is worth considering. It has some very nice parts and probably worth more in parts than it is as a complete bike.

·
Registered
370 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
As for hypermotard versus superbike, how does getting rear-ended or having someone turn left in front of you make it more palatable on the Hyper?
It doesn't. Its time I'd spend out on the super (vs. w/young kids). Also, the Super is probably not the best 'urban' bike (neither is the Hypermotard) but it offers a lot more flexibility for what I want.

I saw this bike last week. Needed a front tire while on a 7 day southern Appalachian ride and got it at the dealer that has the bike.

They have a 4-5" thick binder of all the records for the bike. The dealer said the bike had not been tracked and was only used as a streetbike. It looked clean, particularly for such a heavily modified bike. I did notice the tank paint is not original and the repaint wasn't the quality I would have expected.

Had a quick conversation with the dealer about the bike and got the sense they are motivated to sell. My guess is $7K might do it. He mentioned that he had a bunch of interest, but that people were put off by the lack of originality. If you want a highly modified bike, it is worth considering. It has some very nice parts and probably worth more in parts than it is as a complete bike.
He already gave me a counter offer before I said a word about price. He's motivated.

·
Registered
213 Posts
It looks like a nice bike and you are looking at to different bikes it really comes down to what you want. As far as the price it's not bad, wright down
some of the big ticket items and ad them up.
If you had to part the bike out would you get your money back.
Make him an offer can't hurt.

·
Registered
370 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I saw this bike last week.

I did notice the tank paint is not original and the repaint wasn't the quality I would have expected.
So was it the color match that was off (from the oem red), or just somewhat of a cheap spray? Did the tank match the body?

·
Registered
940 Posts
So was it the color match that was off (from the oem red), or just somewhat of a cheap spray? Did the tank match the body?
Color match was okay. Finish was poor. Uneven looking, particularly at the rear of the tank where a tank pad would mount. The problem would probably be visible in a close up photo of this portion of the tank taken from the right angle.

I didn't look closely at all the paint, but for example the CF tail section paint quality was okay buy not great. Possibly simply the result of being an older repaint. Repaints never hold up as well as factory paint in my experience.

Color match seemed good across all the panels. As I recollect there was some effort made to let some of the CF show where panels were CF so the paint doesn't look stock in all cases. I would categorize the overall paint style as a subtle custom paint job. Details are not the same as the original paint. The color itself seemed a bit on the light side from the original factory color in my opinion, but this could have looked this way due to age/sun fade or the showroom lighting.

If you haven't asked, this is a Bologna bike not a Varese bike, if that matters to you.

If I were you, I would negotiate the deal and send a deposit with the understanding that you are going to have someone locally look at it and test ride it for you. Getting this done while you have a deposit on the bike prevents someone from buying it out from under you. There are some very knowledgeable members close enough to the bike who I'm sure ride through the area frequently, so I wouldn't expect it to be too hard to get a knowledgeable thorough look at it by someone local off the forum.

Forgot to mention, my '95 has over 55K on it and seems as sharp as it ever was. If this bike hasn't been tracked, then I'd expect the engine to be good for many more miles.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts