Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

21 - 34 of 34 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,138 Posts
No need for aftermarket levers if you have the black brembo non-adjustable levers they are under $20 brand new Brembo I just installed a set on a bike in the shop.

If the shift pedal is loose make sure you cannot shim it tighter to remove play. I just had a 996 in the shop with aftermarket pedals and the oem 996 uses o-rings but the aftermarket did not so you had slop. Adding a shim to the pivot bolt tightened up the play as the pedal was no longer rocking on the shaft.

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
Just an FYI I have some of the Black Brembo levers & the pivot pins with the stupid stamped steel nut on the way to the shop. The Clutch & ft brake levers are the same lever. These are the non-adjustable levers. Levers are $17.95 each and the pins w/ nuts are $8.95 each -plus shipping to you. again just an FYI in case yours need replacement

·
Registered
6,718 Posts
The heim joints for the shift linkage can be bought aftermarket on eBay. Lh and Rh available. Sometimes it’s them causing excess play.

·
Registered
2,397 Posts
the #3 bush is white plastic originally. later smaller pivot levers all use a bronze bush and o-rings. easy enough to make if you have a lathe.

if you're replacing levers to remove slop make sure you replace the hollow pins as well. or at the very least turn it around if that hasn't been done previously. the pins are now all silver too - no more gold zinc ones.

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
I bought cheap adjustable folding levers from eBay. So much nicer than the oem.
Have you ever seen one of those break??? I have --A guys ft brake lever broke during hard breaking--plowed into the rear of a car--He bought those neat looking cheap levers from China, He wont be purchasing any more of those-then again he wont be purchasing anything again

·
Premium Member
4,138 Posts
I wont sell the cheap brake levers as I personally have seen far too many problems with them, have a Mv Agusta in the shop now with a set on that when you pull the brake lever in it does not return, can it be fixed? probably but why try to save a buck with a lever that is your interface with your front brakes. Makes no sense as the same owners often want the best brake pads,rotors, master cylinders and tires yet are willing to install a part in the system that is a poor copy of a good part.

Cheap clutch levers I sell because when they are bad or fail no ones life is a risk just a clutch pack.

·
Registered
6,718 Posts
Have you ever seen one of those break??? I have --A guys ft brake lever broke during hard breaking--plowed into the rear of a car--He bought those neat looking cheap levers from China, He wont be purchasing any more of those-then again he wont be purchasing anything again
How did it break ? I find this interesting. The one I have seem to be very good quality, and I actually took off name brand levers to use them. I examined the name brand levers side by side and could see no difference, other than the gold and red anodizing are better on the expensive levers, black or silver is fine.
Metallurgy, years ago, used to be the flaw with many Chinese products. They have improved quite a bit. The issue is that due to their fondness for making counterfeit products, you can’t trust anything you get from there living up to their claims.

·
Premium Member
4,138 Posts
I have seen them break due to metallurgy but that is admittedly very rare. The most common failure is in quality control, I find it very common that the installation gives incorrect bleed down for the hydraulics. Some times these can be adjusted and you are fine, others they are so far off you can not. The Mv lever (Nissin master) the spacing is wrong and the lever binds.

Get a good one and you are likely fine, get a bad one and it is on you to verify it will not cause a safety issue. I have had brake levers that hydraulically would not allow fluid to return when hot. The customer applied the brake and when he released the lever the lever returned but the bleed down did not allow the fluid to return and he went over the top.

I have had some go through the shop that needed modifying to make work and after paying shop rate could have bought a better made lever in the first place.

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
Well I find the talk about the metallurgy interesting, I had a customer in the shop yesterday, he & his ex wife have a business in China right now they have been there for 35 years & he lived there until a year ago when he moved back here for health reasons. But they still have the business. He was talking about metallurgy with me yesterday, he said that even now lets use steel as an example He said that he used to watch the guys at the foundry melting down the scrap steel for use in whatever ---He said they would throw everything in the hopper's nuts, bolts, whole automobiles engines etc, they didnt care it all went in to the hopper and was melted together--he said there would even be aluminum & oil mixed in they didnt separate anything. Then they would make nuts, bolts, car parts whatever out of this mixture of crap. --when they were doing aluminum it was the same story they didnt separate the pot metal and garbage out of the mix. -This is the major reason why I have and will continue to avoid Chinese made parts---have you ever looked at the quality of hardware from China?? If not look at it once and you will run away screaming--I would never trust my life to that garbage--I have seen it fail too often

·
Premium Member
4,138 Posts
And yet you would probably find 90% of hardware on motorcycles come from china regardless of brand. It is all in the manufacturers hands to dictate quality control standards and enforce it. That's the main problem when aftermarket companies source knock off parts they all too often look at one thing. Cost, because they understand there is a larger amount of consumers who buy based only on how cheap they can find something. I think it is baked into the DNA of some humans and yes men are worse where the best deal trumps the best part every time.

You see it on here all the time. Not what is the best part but "look how little this part is" or "you paid too much" or "that item is over priced" or "I only paid *** for mine you must not be as good a shopper as I am" this is something out of our control and yes I do it as much as anyone else. But pay attention and try and restrain from shopping based on cost alone with things that can kill you. I try not to buy tires,brakes, engine internals, firearms, condoms or any other life changing items where cost is the main reason. Flip side is there are plenty of reasons to consider non-life changing items based on cost though more often than not they often will cost you more in the long term.

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
If you are riding a quality motorcycle or driving a quality auto --you spent more then you would on a Honda or a Buick, one would expect to spend more on the parts --But those that are cheap and look at price alone should be looking at an old used Puch or a Yugo and stop looking at BMW's, Ducati's, MV's etc---Notice I didnt say anything about a Harley--thats because it fall's into the same category as a Yugo

21 - 34 of 34 Posts