Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Just put bike together after having the heads off/serviced.

Started fine when I rode to work. Stopped for petrol after 5 mins, started again fine. Started after work, to ride home again.

Then went for 1 hr ride, stopped for 1/2 hr, and bike wouldn't start. Fuel pump working and electrics seemed fine but absolutely nothing when I hit the starter button. Bump started and rode home.

Left bike at home for 4 hours then tried again, and started no worries....any ideas on likely suspects??

(Its a fairly standard 95 super light, on battery tender, 36,000kms. Replaced reg/rect 1 yr ago)

·
Registered
662 Posts
If by "absolutely nothing" you mean it did not turn over at all save for perhaps a click then I'd suspect a sticky starter relay. If it tried to turn over and you put it back on the tender when you got back, I'd suspect the battery. Actually, I always suspect the battery on the SSs if they are over two years old.

It is of course worth while to remove all connections from battery to starter and ground and clean and tighten to eliminate that possibility.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks 944. There was no click, no turning over - just nothing when I hit the starter. Will check all the connections today.

·
Premium Member
2,496 Posts
Yeah - I'd check the starter solenoid and connectors - mine has done similar things from time to time.

·
Registered
954 Posts
The little two-wire white plug vibrates out of the starter solenoid... mine has done this a few times! There is no clip to hold it in??! A thin ziptie will hold it in place. ;)

·
Premium Member
2,496 Posts
The little two-wire white plug vibrates out of the starter solenoid... mine has done this a few times! There is no clip to hold it in??! A thin ziptie will hold it in place. ;)
YES! What he ^^^^ said! Was trying to remember exactly what was causing my problems - and THAT was it!

Old age setting in... :eek:

Yeah OK. Already set. :p

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Great guys. Have cleaned up and reattached the plug with tie and seems to be working....Thanks for the info!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts