Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all,

I have a bit of an SOS call that I need to get out to all of you. Over the winter I bought a great 900SS/SP project bike. The job has been going swimmingly. I replaced some head studs, cleaned everything up, and she's ready to run.... almost.

I've been having alot of trouble with the Mikuni carbs. One of the floats is either sticking, or not seating properly, but that's not the big problem. There is a small screw that is holding the main jet with a spacer (M5-.8 x 5). This screw also has a blind hole on it all the way up to the head. This screw sheared off at the head, and I despiratly need a replacement. I ordered an $80 assembly from my local Ducati shop, and the screw was not included. :mad:

I'm supposed to be leaving from Massachusetts to head down to VIR on the 5th of April.

Is there any Ducatisti out there that could help me out?? :think:

·
Registered
36 Posts
If you can fix these Mikunis with an inexpensive part, then do so. Otherwise, based on everything I've heard (here and at ducatimonster.org), I'd be saving my pennies for some flatslides.

·
Registered
29 Posts
God is MOST CERTAINLY speaking to you...

"Get the new carbs! Mikunis are the Devil! The Devil tempts you with his wickedness. Follow the more difficult (expensive), more righteous path and buy the damn FRC's, for MY SAKE!"....or somthing

Do it.

·
Registered
818 Posts
Well, just to get the bike running, he needs a $2 part, and y'all are telling him to spend $1,000? come on...
Look at the title of the thread...he obviously wants to buy them already...and we want to encourage such conspicuous consumption.

Spend the grand. Match them with a LW flywheel and power wheelie into the sunset, Desmotull!

·
Registered
1,802 Posts
Look at the title of the thread...he obviously wants to buy them already...and we want to encourage such conspicuous consumption.

Spend the grand. Match them with a LW flywheel and power wheelie into the sunset, Desmotull!
+1. Its easy and fun for us to spend other people's money when it will make them happy:)

Seriously, if the Mikuni's are tired, it's not just the two dollar part, it's all the rest of the time and attention they will need. Plus it's not a given the $2 part will fix it. And they still won't work nearly as well.

·
Registered
346 Posts
Of course you know God is talking to you and telling you to get the FCRs. Been there, done that, and now my SS is happy and fun to ride. Love it. That being said, if you want my stock carbs you're welcome to them for the price of UPS to your door. I've kept all the stock parts thinking they somehow make the bike more desirable/collectible, but who cares about a bunch of carbs in a box? Let me know if you want 'em and I'll get 'em shipped first thing Monday.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks for the overwhelming response.

I was able to get another set of whole bodies. I would love to buy FCRs, It just isn't in the cards right now. My biggest concern is getting the bike *running* so I can enjoy my little VIR vacation.

Anyway, onto the good news.

Bike is running. I just need to figure out the carb tuning now. I know very little about carbs. I'm going to fiddle with it for one more day, then I'll take it to a shop and let them mess with it.

Thanks again all.

Tull

1 - 15 of 15 Posts