Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
684 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone hope to spark a little debate here... my 95 900 SS is smoking a little and with 50 k miles most likely needs a valve job and rings..... SO I'm just going to wait until I can do a big bore kit.... everyone knows the 944 kit is great but there is also a 966 kit...
Pros ???
Cons???
What do you think? :think::think:

DUCS RULE …Rice grinders drool..

09 Ducati GT1000 Black and Gold; 14/40 with Ohlins F&R, Termis & Rizoma bling
95 Ducati SS 900 CR Red; 15/41 my new project…
81 Yamaha SR 500 total cafe project bike

·
Registered
662 Posts
I ran with a 94mm kit for close to ten years with no issues. I've recently installed a 95mm kit and while it went it just fine and runs strong, I am somewhat concerned that you are only left with a 2.1mm thick cylinder wall sleeve to mate with the head. IOW, the mating surface is only half as thick as the stocker with is 4.1mm. I've heard of issues getting a good seal and I can see why.

I'd stick with the 94mm (944cc) kits. They've been around a good while and have shown pretty awesome reliability. You've got a pretty good choice of kits to choose from (FBF, Pistal, JE) whereas with the 95mm, AFAIK, you've got to go with Mahle. Of course either one gets you the 11:1 compression ratio you need.

·
Premium Member
684 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for that advice.... that is the only real consideration I had: too thin walls and all...
944 it is I guess just need to do m,y shopping now....

09 Ducati GT1000 Black and Gold; 14/40 with Ohlins F&R, Termis & Rizoma bling
95 Ducati SS 900 CR Red; 15/41 my new project…
81 Yamaha SR 500 total cafe project bike

·
Registered
1,604 Posts
I put in a 944 kit years ago on my 900 monster. I bought the kit from BCM and simply traded my cylinders for new pistons and cylinders. Also got the 41 mm Keihin Carbs. Bike really rocked after that. 2nd gear power wheelies with ease. Even 3rd gear ones when the weather is just right!

Mike

·
Registered
175 Posts
I put in a 944 kit years ago on my 900 monster. I bought the kit from BCM and simply traded my cylinders for new pistons and cylinders. Also got the 41 mm Keihin Carbs. Bike really rocked after that. 2nd gear power wheelies with ease. Even 3rd gear ones when the weather is just right!

Mike
I did the same (BCM/Pistal), but on a fuelie SS. Ported heads also from BCM (delivered mine then waited) turned 91RWHP and 68RW Ft LBs after a dyno tune with an dyno mapped ECU. The bike was a torque monster and very reliable. Good gas mileage too. The boost in compression is what made the biggest difference and improvements in head flow were a bonus on top and made for a great street bike.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts