Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
1994 Ducati Super Sport 900 CR
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok guys, i know this seems obvious, but my swingarm and the one pictured in the manual are different. I assume I remove the adjustment indicators and the axle nuts are underneath. Im installing a new chain and sproket, the one on there is definitely toast. This is my first Ducati and you've helped SO MUCH!

·
Registered
2,529 Posts
No, yours is not like the picture, you won't find those two nuts inside. Once you get it figured out it is actually easier to adjust than this one in the manual. Is there another page that covers the type you have? Basically loosen the axle and use the one on the end to adjust.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Hey Rock, thanks again for the assist! So my shop manual only shows the type in the manuals pic. Of course i went to good ol' YOU Tube and there's a lot of videos but none with this swings arm. I wonder if this swing arm came off of another cycle? That's pretty much only one option to get the tire off, there aren't any other fasteners?
As soon as my track stand gets here I'm going to remove that tire. Ill keep you guys updated and beg for help later :)

sidenote: I was assuming this was an aluminum swing arm, but, when I was under the bike inspecting stuff I saw red rusty streaks on it.....hmmm...weird..

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
Hey Rock, thanks again for the assist! So my shop manual only shows the type in the manuals pic. Of course i went to good ol' YOU Tube and there's a lot of videos but none with this swings arm. I wonder if this swing arm came off of another cycle? That's pretty much only one option to get the tire off, there aren't any other fasteners?
As soon as my track stand gets here I'm going to remove that tire. Ill keep you guys update and beg for help later :)

sidenote: I was assuming this was an aluminum swing arm, but, when I was under the bike inspecting stuff I saw red rusty streaks on it.....hmmm...weird..
No your bike is a 900 CR, not a 900SS, the one in the pic is a 900SS Aluminum swingarm, The CR model had a steel swingarm that is one of the things that is different betweenj the 2 models

Reactions: mzrhayes

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
No your bike is a 900 CR, not a 900SS, the one in the pic is a 900SS Aluminum swingarm, The CR model had a steel swingarm that is one of the things that is different betweenj the 2 models
oh geez, your right, how'd i miss that? Bonus, I have a steel swing arm! It can't be that hard to figure out. I'm just going to remove those fasteners and see whats up! Thanks Renn :)

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
some people refer to all of the 91-98 Ducati's as 900SS models but this is not true--this is for the U.S models
91-93-- 900SS.
92-93---900SL
93-98---900CR (cant remember CR may have been available in 92)
94-97---900SP
98--------900FE

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
I know thats nit picking but it's the easiest way to clasify each bike by specific model --The CR had more things that were different and model specfic then the others

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I know thats nit picking but it's the easiest way to clasify each bike by specific model --The CR had more things that were different and model specfic then the others
Thank you, as you guys know I'm Ducati illiterate and not ashamed to admit it! I really do appreciate all the help :)

·
Registered
2,529 Posts
The first time I saw that steel swingarm setup on my buddies CR it confused me too, it's actually easier to use that style of adjustment.

Just remove the axle to get the wheel out, you will see how to adjust it then.

·
Registered
6,874 Posts
Make sure while you have the axle loose you lube those adjuster bolts, including the internal block the axle goes through. They are prone to seizing. I used anti seize on the adjustment bolts and ran them in and out a few times to spread it around.

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
I have the same swingarm on my ‘94 900 SS/CR.
All & I mean All 900 CR models in the U.S. at least came with steel swingarms

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
If you have an unmolested bike-& it has these items---Steel Swingarm, Non Adjustable forks, 4.5 in rear wheel, 1/2 fairings, fixed, non floating rear brake---You Have a CR-----Not an SS---unfortunatly the vin number tells you fuck all--The vin # does not differentiate between the different models--Ducati just used sequential numbers and built what ever the hell they needed--Damn lazy Itailians could not be bothered with giving each model it's own vin # sequence to seperate the models

·
Registered
2,529 Posts
Those bikes were labeled SS CR here in the states. You of course were thinking SS SP or just SS before the SS CR models came to the US. All of the Supersports all just had an "L" as the 5th character in the VIN for the model.

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
My comment basically meant that the vin # on the --900---CR, SS, SL, SP, etc by itself did not tell you which bike it was--You in theory could now could a purchase a used CR which is the low end model--look and spend time finding the parts that are different on an SL for example purchase those parts install them on your lets say 1993 CR and by vin # alone there is no way to know it's a fake SL ---BMW for example again lets use a R100 in 1977--They had models R100/7, R100RS, R100S, R100T. Now the differences between the models was only cosmetic ie different or no body work / fairings, carbs, --but each model carries a vin number specific to that model--you may take a standard R100 and put all of the goodies on it that makes it an R100RS---But the Vin number will always say It's Not An RS so faking a different model is very hard to do.--

·
Registered
7 Posts
My ‘94 900 is a CR. I bought it from the original owner who kept meticulous records. I think part of the confusion for myself and the OP is that the owners manual and the workshop manuals show a swingarm different from what we have. I understand that there are differences between the CR and the SS but I did not know the swingarm was one of the changes. The minimal research I did before my purchase didn’t indicate the swingarm difference so I was likewise confused.

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
I do not own a CR nor do I have an original owners manual for one so I cant say what should be in that owners manual. -It would be really nice if someone here has the original manual that came with their CRand look in it to see if that manual shows the steel swingarm, but for some reason seeing what I have with Ducati info from the factory they decided it was more important to go to lunch 10 min early then to give the correct info to the customer---I have every day less & less faith in anything that Vinny, Guido,& Giuseppe hand their hands on

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
If you have an unmolested bike-& it has these items---Steel Swingarm, Non Adjustable forks, 4.5 in rear wheel, 1/2 fairings, fixed, non floating rear brake---You Have a CR-----Not an SS---unfortunatly the vin number tells you fuck all--The vin # does not differentiate between the different models--Ducati just used sequential numbers and built what ever the hell they needed--Damn lazy Itailians could not be bothered with giving each model it's own vin # sequence to seperate the models
Yeah dang it what where they thinking!!

·
Registered
2,529 Posts
Hey, Vino was waiting. ;)
The owners manual was in English - the boys probably could not read it anyway,...

OP - get yourself a repair manual, ebay a used one, hit the local used bookstore or order this one -

Sure there are better ones, but this covers more projects than you are prepared to do right now anyway. And this price might not even be the lowest out there for this book.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts