Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All.....

I am the happy new owner of a '94 Elefant and am working to freshen it up a bit (sitting for ~4 years) and get it back road going.

I have gotten it to start on choke only and figured out that the carbs are plugged so pulled those and have had a local shop go through and fully rebuild them. They are fully set and ready to go back in the bike but I am really not certain what jet setting I should try to start with.

The bike has an unbranded aftermarket pipe (thanks goodness the boat anchor cat system is gone) but I have no idea what jets to use with this strait through pipe.

Any thoughts / comments appreciated. I have a new FactoryPro jet kit and the shop has also installed new emulsion tubes so those should be ok. Not really interesting in moving on to keihin flat slide carbs so I am working with what I have.

In addition I was wondering if anyone has a recommendation on a set of heavy duty hand gurads - the kind that wrap around with a metal bar that affixes to the bar end to provide maximum protection.

Other tips and tricks also really welcome. It is a bit of an archaeological dig going through the bike and finding nibbly things that need to be attended to.

Thanks in advance,
Brett

Attachments

·
Registered
577 Posts
nice ride!

Try Acerbis handguards or perhaps moose racing.

You'll have to acquire a service manual to get the stock jetting, not sure if was the same for the 900ss from which the motor came from.

Check the wiring from the stator to the regulator, it has been know to go bad, also the starting wires are a bit small, people usually upgrade them.

·
Registered
733 Posts
Barkbusters are what I am thinking of. They list the late models on the website but it also says they will help find something to fit. Bummer is that they don't sell direct to the public though so you'll have to search a bit for a place that does.

Barkbusters

Brands - Barkbusters - TwistedThrottle.com

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks guys. Will check out those vendors on the hand guards. Had not heard of Barkbusters but they look pretty cool.

The Efefant has 4 gage upgraded wiring and hot coils so that should be fine. I am familiar with the stator issues on the 900ss bikes. I also have my eyes wide open that this is going to be a project to keep alive/going as part become unobtanium. What worries me most is rear swing arm and linkage bits and pieces. I figure somewhere in the future I will have to go through and rebuild it so I am hunting now for spares just to keep this thing alive.

I rode the Elefant when they first came out and was tempted but never pulled the trigger till this one found me. I am pretty much hooked on old Ducati v twins and it will be interesting getting this one back on the road.

Cheers,
Brett

·
Vendor
565 Posts
The Efefant has 4 gage upgraded wiring and hot coils so that should be fine.

I figure somewhere in the future I will have to go through and rebuild it so I am hunting now for spares just to keep this thing alive.
That must an old customers of mine since it has the coils kit upgrade kit and the HICAP on it.

I run a small site for the bikes

cagiva elefant and ducati E900 upgrades

you can subscribe to the talk list from there and get most any info you need either from the archive or by posting to the list.

I've had mine since I bought it new in '96. They're probably the best overall bike of the last 20-25 years. There's just nothing you can't do with them. Since they were the pet project of the Castiglioni brothers the frame geometry is just dialed in.

Just some quick comments;

Factory Pro never made a jet kit for the bike, they just relabeled the one for the 900SS. It will run too rich since the E900 is tuned for torque and has 750 heads.

If you run it with foam sock air cleaners it runs leaner than with the airbox and so you might be able to get it running okay. But if you hit a pause/stutter at about 3800 when going through the gears, that's the changeover to the main circuit and means things are off.

The best jetting is with the "Euro" jetting; a 5C19 needle and jet. They were available a few years ago but I don't know if they are anymore.

Needle: Ducati part no. 13240051A Marking on needle: 5C19
Jet: Ducati part no. 13240041B

With the above the engine runs really well but there is a substantial bump in performance with the FCRs.

The 2 into 1 exhaust is a tuned exhaust and the straight through can is costing a couple HP, some torque and causes the engine to rev up slower (than it would even with the OEM cat).

Remus made the best aftermarket exhaust but since I have to special order them and custom replicate their adapter they are in the $600 range.

The E900/Elefant bikes have slipped out of the aftermarkets target, no major makers really want to make anything for them as the sales are so sporadic. I was able to get Remus to make a batch of the adapters about 5 years ago but they won't do it again unless someone orders 50 units. And that won't be me.

I do have upgrades made for the bike (just got the Traxxion AK-20 kits going in 2012). But many options are just thinning out and so if you like the bike it would be best to focus on getting it fully sorted as soon as you can.

Final point, the strong hand guards can probably be fitted but it's a challenge due to the size and placement of the master and brake cylinders. You will also probably have to drill out the bar ends as they are threaded for the OEM bar end weights (I gave up and sold my aftermarket guards to another rider).

Join the talk list, it’s the best source of good info on the planet.

Hope This Helps.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Michael.... you rock!

Thank you very much for the detailed info! I know your site and am actually an old customer of your -> I am the guy with the '93 900SS that you installed the master battery cut off switch last year.

I will work through the info you posted on the jets and reach out to you directly if I get jammed up.

I love the bike.... just want to properly sort it out.

Cheers,
Brett

·
Registered
506 Posts
I have nothing other than NICE BIKE! I've always liked the Elefant! Looks like a riot to ride!

·
Registered
374 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hey Hundle... If you are interested I know a guy that might be interested in selling his '95 (blue) down by Los Gatos. PM if you are interested.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts