Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, how much oil is your 939 using? Did it get less over time?

Mine consumed 650mL from 1000km to 3100km. Whereby most of it was consumed when riding to the Dolomites in Italy on the highway.

900km highway at 120 to 140km/h
800km mountain roads
400km standard roads

·
Registered
95 Posts
I have 4000 miles on my and I haven't noticed any consumption. This bike consumes less oil than my 2011 R1 and my Kawasaki Zx12r did

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
253 Posts
I have an 821 and never thought to measure but I change my oil and filter every 3000 miles.

·
Premium Member
876 Posts

Mine consumed 650mL from 1000km to 3100km.
So you drained hot oil at 1000km and put in X.X liters. Drained hot oil at 3100km and got Y.Y liters out. X - Y = 650ml, 2/3 liter?

·
Registered
98 Posts

Mine consumed 650mL from 1000km to 3100km. Whereby most of it was consumed when riding to the Dolomites in Italy on the highway.

800km mountain roads
400km standard roads
That oil consumption is due to bad breaking.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
@jahjah: When oil is at low mark (engine cold, bike in vertical position) I add measured oil until max (approx. 400mL). Then you record the driven distance until oil is low next time. My mentioned consumption is referring only to the time after the 1000km oil service. No oil drain since that time. (Bike is only 4 weeks old)
(oil consumtion per 1000km = oil consumption / 0,001*driven distance)
-> 650mL / 2100km = ~0,3L/1000km average oil consumption

@Casso99: Break in was according manual. Also the same I was breakin in my 821.
(6000U/min max, not full throttle & twisty roads, no highway until 1000km /// 7000U/min max until 2500km /// then pushing it hard)

I will keep an eye on it if its getting better... Otherwise I get in touch with ducati

·
Registered
83 Posts
Easy to overfill the oil if you check the sight glass under different circumstances.

I fill the oil level to the upper mark with each change, then check it again in the morning before rides. If checked at gas stops the level appears low in the sight glass because extra oil is hanging around elsewhere. Left alone, the oil level returns to perfect in the morning.

Overfilling is as bad as underfilling, if not worse.

·
Premium Member
876 Posts
I'm not a fan of the soft break in. Being careful of overheating, I recommend hard accelerating up an incline. Avoid cruising. However, Ducati engines are supposed to be run in at the factory.

If there is synthetic put in a motor before the rings seat, you might ride it 25,000 miles consuming oil before it gets better.

I am certainly not implying you did anything wrong so don't get me wrong. That said, that is a lot of oil consumption for a modern engine. My Ducati uses immeasurable oil between changes. Rather than have a dealer squabble or the issues that inevitable come up from a dealer trying to fix it, I would, in your shoes, put a straight mineral oil in it and run the piss out if it to see if the rings will seat. Another thing you can do is inspect to make sure the valve stem seals were all installed and that the crankcase ventilation system is working.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
@ jahjah: everything is fine ;-)
I try to push it real hard till rev limit once engine hot. I hope it will solve out this way.
How do I check the list two items you mentioned?
I checked the two hoses under the engine if oil was running out, but they are both dry.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I have 12600 miles on my 16 hyper SP. I have added a total of one qt. over the life of this bike. or about 90ml per 1000 miles.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
@Say10:
Just a few questions ;-)
What is your riding style, RPM range?
Do you drive in flat area or mountains?
Whats the average ambient temperature?
When was the last oil change? So is it a real qt over 12600 miles or have there been refills due to oil change?
What oil do you use?

·
Registered
28 Posts
So i ride it like I stole it......mostly twisties on weekends. lots of wheelies, high revs. I do a little commuting also, just 20m each way on the freeway. I live in northern CA, so it's moderate as far as temps, not too cold, not too hot.

The oil I added was the shell 15w50. full synth. And I just added a few bit here and there just to keep it topped off. I am really suprised at how little oil it burns compared to my KTM.

·
Registered
269 Posts

800km mountain roads
400km standard roads

I'm curious to know what happened in the end with your bike's oil consumption since my M1200 goes through the same amount of oil as yours (ml/1000km)...

Any updates ?

Cheers

·
Registered
853 Posts
Each vehicle manufacturer has an oil consumption limit (ask) above which they will do a rebuild under warranty. They also have a specific procedure that they require to be used to determine the amount of oil consumption. This usually requires that they do the oil change and fill.

Nevertheless, each owner should keep careful detailed records of any oil changes/additions and the oil spec used (Receipts would be also useful.)

Following the recommended break-in procedure is useful, but in truth, the engine piston ring break-in is completed on Ducati's dyno before the bike is shipped.

If a new bike is burning oil it will only get worse, not better.

·
Registered
269 Posts
Each vehicle manufacturer has an oil consumption limit (ask) above which they will do a rebuild under warranty. They also have a specific procedure that they require to be used to determine the amount of oil consumption. This usually requires that they do the oil change and fill.

Nevertheless, each owner should keep careful detailed records of any oil changes/additions and the oil spec used (Receipts would be also useful.)

Following the recommended break-in procedure is useful, but in truth, the engine piston ring break-in is completed on Ducati's dyno before the bike is shipped.

If a new bike is burning oil it will only get worse, not better.
I know Strega, that's what was proposed to me by Ducati HQ over my part of the world.
They're going to change the oil and then measure the consumption after 1000 Kms and report back to me.
Up until now, i've burned approximately 310 ml of oil per 1000 Km.

Here's the thing though : i already know that they'll say that it's normal/within normal parameters.

A Dude with an MTS1200 Enduro that i know had the same thing lately, difference being that his burned almost 450ml of oil every 1000 Km for Christ's sake, Ducati's response was that it was "normal".On the other hand, another guy that i know, his MTS1200 DVT doesn't burn a drop of oil and let's just say that he rides it like he stole it every time.
Oh, another guy i know of, his old 821 H.M burned the same amount of oil which led to...the cylinders/pistons failing.He got a 939 after that and guess what, exactly same amount of oil consumption (300 ml/1000 Km), the good news is that his new bike hasn't kicked the proverbial bucket yet though.

Generally speaking my good man, newer Ducatis seem to burn through oil kind of quick - there's lots of examples on the internet regarding Diavels, liquid cooled Hypers, 1200/821 monsters, MTS's both 1200 and 950 and also the new Supersport, fun fact ? In most cases, the oil consumption is similar, i.e, approximately 300+/- ml every 1000 Km's, coincidence ? I think not Not every single one of them must be defective or badly broken in, can they ?

Cheers

·
Registered
406 Posts
I know Strega, that's what was proposed to me by Ducati HQ over my part of the world.
They're going to change the oil and then measure the consumption after 1000 Kms and report back to me.
Up until now, i've burned approximately 310 ml of oil per 1000 Km.

Here's the thing though : i already know that they'll say that it's normal/within normal parameters.

A Dude with an MTS1200 Enduro that i know had the same thing lately, difference being that his burned almost 450ml of oil every 1000 Km for Christ's sake, Ducati's response was that it was "normal".On the other hand, another guy that i know, his MTS1200 DVT doesn't burn a drop of oil and let's just say that he rides it like he stole it every time.
Oh, another guy i know of, his old 821 H.M burned the same amount of oil which led to...the cylinders/pistons failing.He got a 939 after that and guess what, exactly same amount of oil consumption (300 ml/1000 Km), the good news is that his new bike hasn't kicked the proverbial bucket yet though.

Generally speaking my good man, newer Ducatis seem to burn through oil kind of quick - there's lots of examples on the internet regarding Diavels, liquid cooled Hypers, 1200/821 monsters, MTS's both 1200 and 950 and also the new Supersport, fun fact ? In most cases, the oil consumption is similar, i.e, approximately 300+/- ml every 1000 Km's, coincidence ? I think not Not every single one of them must be defective or badly broken in, can they ?

Cheers
There's no way they'd even get euro or epa certs if this was how they designed the bikes. If that's what you're getting at. It's a defect amplified by the web - hopefully they do the right thing and fix it. If not, challenge them to meet pollution standards with your bike and take them to court.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Oil consumption got worse with approx. 0,5 - 1,0L / 1000km.
Ducati checked the bike found the vertical cylinder/piston to be the cause.
(Burned oil residues have been visible at spark plugs etc.)
They changed the cylinder & piston of the vertical cyclinder.
After disassambly, they localized the cause by a about 1mm big defect at the piston.
They said it is an manufacturing failure.

Since then, no visible oil consumption for the last approx. 4000km. Sight glass is still at full mark.

·
Registered
269 Posts
Oil consumption got worse with approx. 0,5 - 1,0L / 1000km.
Ducati checked the bike found the vertical cylinder/piston to be the cause.
(Burned oil residues have been visible at spark plugs etc.)
They changed the cylinder & piston of the vertical cyclinder.
After disassambly, they localized the cause by a about 1mm big defect at the piston.
They said it is an manufacturing failure.

Since then, no visible oil consumption for the last approx. 4000km. Sight glass is still at full mark.
Well, shit... not what i wanted to hear...
Sorry to hear that man btw and thanks for the update.

Had a mechanic telling me that 300ml/1000Km is normal/OK for newer Ducati motors due to their high compression, not that i find acceptable that kind of consumption to begin with but...
Pred, did you have any other symptoms like loss of power or blue smoke coming out of your pipes ?

Question : if i stay at the 300ml/1000Km mark and it doesn't get worse like yours did and Ducati also says that it's ok/within normal limits shall i continue being worried gents ?

·
Registered
406 Posts
Well, shit... not what i wanted to hear...
Sorry to hear that man btw and thanks for the update.

Had a mechanic telling me that 300ml/1000Km is normal/OK for newer Ducati motors due to their high compression, not that i find acceptable that kind of consumption to begin with but...
Pred, did you have any other symptoms like loss of power or blue smoke coming out of your pipes ?

Question : if i stay at the 300ml/1000Km mark and it doesn't get worse like yours did and Ducati also says that it's ok/within normal limits shall i continue being worried gents ?
Judging by Preds' post, I'd pull the plugs and get a look at them. Pretty straightforward.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts