Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hey team,, i blew a rear wheel bearing on my bike the other day so i replaced it and stuck it back on...
2km down the road it blew the same bearing! So i pulled it out and realised the caliper hanger is real real close to the bearing. Is the caliper hanger supposed to have a stepped spacer or a washer to open the gap abit??
The rear bit of the hanger looks like its worn down so thats why its rubbing on the bearing.
Does anybody know what the setup on these bikes are? Cos it looks to me like the caliper hanger needs a spacer sticking out of it :mad:

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I don't have a spacer between the hanger and the rear wheel.
Maybe the bearing wasn't completly put in straight?
Or the hanger got damaged and busted the new bearing?

Check this parts manual to be sure you're not missing anything: http://www.ducati999.nl/WPHB/Supersport&Monster/Oudtype/Parts_Catalog_SS.pdf

I see they list two types of rear wheels in that catalogue..
One has a spacer inside the bearings and one dosent show any.
Basically my caliper hanger sits too close to the hub, and its instantly cooking the bearing on that side. WEIRD!!

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The hanger is the same for both types or rear wheel assemblies is seems.
Mine indeed has a lip of about 1 or 2 mm on the rear of the hanger where it touches the bearing inner ring.

You can see it in one of the photos here: Ducati BREMBO 900SS SP CR SuperLight Rear Brake Caliper Hanger Mounting Bracket | eBay

So your hanger sits against the bearing?? Mine does too but almost touches and when i tighten the wheel up it gets tight..
The sprocket side seems to be together the correct way so im abit stumped as to why its destroying bearings. After riding 1km down the road the caliper hanger is real hot seems like its has been rubbing. I bet its something simple but i cant seem to find it :think:

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
So your hanger sits against the bearing?? Mine does too but almost touches and when i tighten the wheel up it gets tight..
The sprocket side seems to be together the correct way so im abit stumped as to why its destroying bearings. After riding 1km down the road the caliper hanger is real hot seems like its has been rubbing. I bet its something simple but i cant seem to find it :think:

Also, are your wheel bearings spaced or do they just slip into the wheel? Because i notice one of those wheel diagrams show a washer or spacer on the inside of the bearing spacing it out a bit?

·
Registered
756 Posts
The part numbers for both types of bearings are different as I remember. You need the right bearing for your bearing spacer and wheel.
Since your bike is a 93 model, I think you will have the bearing spacer without the extra spacers. But check the framenumber to be sure!

·
Registered
756 Posts
Could be many things: maybe the bearing is to wide and rubs too much with the hanger.
Maybe you over-torqued the axle bolts, causing extra friction.

My hanger indeed sits against the bearing, but never had any issues with it.

·
Registered
2,434 Posts
Don't know about 1993, but my 1997 and 1998 both have a bushing on each side of the caliper hanger that fit into the hanger. They press on the swingarm on one side, and on the bearing on the other side.

·
Registered
756 Posts
That's indeed the case with the full floating rear brake set-up (so I have seen in the parts manual, don't know it by experience...).

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Well it seems i have found the problem with my setup:

On the sprocket side i have the sleeve tube against the swingarm, not the tapered spacer!!! (only because thats how i pulled it apart)
So when i tighten the wheel, it pulls the wheel bearings through to the sprocket side leaving no gap on the brake side for clearance hence the rubbing!!!
:D:D:D

1 - 12 of 12 Posts