Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I called my local dealer to order a new gasket for the cover (the one covering the timing wheel) and I was told they just use a tube of sealant instead of a gasket (they did look up the part in their computer). My Haines manual says otherwise. Anyone want to weigh in on whom is correct?

·
Registered
536 Posts
your dealer is right...ducati discontinued the gasket and recommend sealant. However,california cycleworks makes gaskets (i think theyre 16 bucks ). I prefer the gasket as its alot less messy. I installed a Cali cycleworks gasket on my carby SS and havent had any leaks yet...

look at the cali cycleworks website in the "Maintenance , Tools and Chemicals" Section under "Gaskets"

·
Registered
157 Posts
I have had the side cases off my duc and a number of others and found that there is no gasket, even on new bikes. Ducati will sell you this white goop in a toothpaste tube. Its great stuff.

I use loctite ultra blue. a: because its better, b: ultra blue makes anything look like a race bike!! c: it's easier to apply and wont move about and get damaged when youre trying to refit everything. Only thing with goop gaskets is that everything needs to be 100% free of any oil and need a small curing time. You dont need a HUGE bead of goop, just a small thing smear is enough. If its messy, its because you have put too much on. :p

Gaskets are so 1950's man! dont waste your money on one. The goop is just as good, if not better. I hate reparing cars with cork rocker cover gaskets...some makers still sell cork for rocker covers.

·
Registered
40 Posts
i agree with the last post..

One point to consider. If you for some reason buy an engine cover (ebay etc.) at least us a straight edge and inspect the mating surface closely before you assemble it with goop. A ten minute trip to a machine shop to check it for flatness may save you some grief.

·
Registered
1,278 Posts
The Blue clashes with my red bodywork. The Permatex Ultra gray is cheap and available at any autoparts store plus it goes with any paint scheme.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts