Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm starting to rebuild my '93 Superlight, which has sat for a while. The battery's been on a tender and appears to have a full charge. However, at the moment when I hit the starter button there's a single click, and the motor doesn't turn over.

I'll check the starter relay and starter motor, but is there anything else I should keep an eye out for?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Haha

Or...

one of the two leads from the battery has slipped down into its housing and just isn't connected to the post. easy fix. :)

·
Registered
18 Posts
I'm starting to rebuild my '93 Superlight, which has sat for a while. The battery's been on a tender and appears to have a full charge. However, at the moment when I hit the starter button there's a single click, and the motor doesn't turn over.

I'll check the starter relay and starter motor, but is there anything else I should keep an eye out for?
What is the "full charge" reading? Should be close to about 13V.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Yeah, my ST just started doing this. I keep hitting the button, and then it finally turns over. Some days are better than others. I suspect the solenoid also, but just haven't taken it apart yet to confirm. Can I get into the Solenoid to clean it up or lube it or something, or is just a replaceable item? It sounds like the solenoid is hitting, but it just isn't making contact a the end of its throw.

Thanks, Phil

·
Registered
266 Posts
"click" on start

my 92 900ss/cr turned over slowly when i first got it. PO had put in a fresh battery, no help said he. very first thing i did when i got it home was to buff the battery leads (don't forget the frame ground lugs near the foot brake) and sand paint off the frame under these connectors. huge difference, spins over nicely now. then the nichols kickstand bolt, then the tank bra, then the +3 vortex, then the speedymoto clutch cover............
bobp

·
Registered
30 Posts
Yeah, my ST just started doing this. I keep hitting the button, and then it finally turns over. Some days are better than others. I suspect the solenoid also, but just haven't taken it apart yet to confirm. Can I get into the Solenoid to clean it up or lube it or something, or is just a replaceable item? It sounds like the solenoid is hitting, but it just isn't making contact a the end of its throw.

Thanks, Phil
It's not designed to be rebuildable but you can, with some effort, open the case o access the internals. Pitting on the contacts is a likely cause and can be sanded out but it's difficult to get the contact surfaces comlpetely flat. You are better off just ordering a new one.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts