Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

21 - 36 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
733 Posts
As Smack mentioned GT coupes I thought I'd post a pic of my Ducati with my old GT under the house
I think it's called product placement. Or hiding. Does yours have a full tank of petrol ready for the drive to work on Christmas day? As long as it's not raining?

·
Registered
86 Posts
I have a 93 and to me it is the sweeter bike of the two, I love seeing the look on peoples faces when I blow by them on a bike that old. I think that the 93-98 bikes are awsome.

·
Registered
293 Posts
Got to admit I prefer the look of the older 'slab sided' bikes-but the newer ones are just much better to ride-fast. My old '95 900SS was a fabulous tourer but hard work down the lanes or on track-you have to use so much bar pressure to get them to turn quickly. My 1078SS project bike is hard wired to my brain-when I think turn it's already on it's side-but I wouldn't want to tour on it-horses for courses.

John

·
Registered
300 Posts
-horses for courses.
John
How true a statement this is. I've had suspension work done to both ends of my FE, to include raising the rear a bit and it's actually a pretty good ride in the twisties, but not the best by any means. But I love the look and it keeps getting better the older it (I?) get.

·
Registered
1,802 Posts
How true a statement this is. I've had suspension work done to both ends of my FE, to include raising the rear a bit and it's actually a pretty good ride in the twisties, but not the best by any means. But I love the look and it keeps getting better the older it (I?) get.
+1, raised the rear, dropped the front. rolls in nicely. Either that or I'm just used to it. You'd think I would be after 16 years.

·
Registered
293 Posts
+1, raised the rear, dropped the front. rolls in nicely. Either that or I'm just used to it. You'd think I would be after 16 years.
Done the same to my ST4S-turns really well-but it's still nothing like the 1078-that REALLY turns. It probably helps that it only weighs 174kg fully fuelled-165kg dry, against the ST4S's 213kg dry!

John

·
Registered
350 Posts
IMO if you want a bike that has ease of starting, more initial power, and lighter handling, then go for the FI bikes. If you want a bike that you can ride on longer trips, then get the carb bike.

I won't open the pandora's box regarding styling, yet the ergos were not as street friendly with the FI bikes. Are you buying a track bike or street bike?

If you want an early 90's bike that may retain value, then grab a superlight or 851-888.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
I'm just thinking of starting a small collection. I think an early carbed bike would be a good addition. A superlight would be a nice start.

·
Registered
2,058 Posts
My suggestion would be to add a 4-valver if you want a small collection. The superbikes are really quite amazing...and a completely different ride than the SuperSports.

·
Registered
454 Posts
I won't open the pandora's box regarding styling,

Why not ... everyone who's opinion matters thinks the carb'd bikes look sooo much better than the later SS ... and anyone who doesn't think that is just plain wrong :abduct:

·
Registered
2,058 Posts
Hey!!! I own a '99 900SSie, and I'll have you know --

ok, nevermind. I happen to prefer the looks of the older SS myself...:eek:

·
Registered
350 Posts
I think it's clear from my signature which style I prefer.

Some day, I'll have the $$ to add one of those black '92s.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Is '03 the only SS800 w/ fully adjustable forks?

I think Koihoshi said it best "which do you like?"For me i dont like the pre 99' body style.I have an 03'ss(the only year 800 with adjustable forks)and the more i look at it the more i love it.If power is what you want most...1000ds. Good luck!
Q: Would appreciate confirmation: is '03 the ONLY year SS800 w/ fully adjustable forks? (rebound, compression & preload)

I put about 13k on my '99 SS900 & later rode an 800. The 800's power seemed remarkably close to the 900. Personally I preferred the 800s increased smoothness & refinement, esp the wet clutch (I know some of you won't even think of riding a wet clutch, but that's my story & I'm sticking to it!)

21 - 36 of 36 Posts