Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Of the two which is the better bike? Which is more desirable?

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Slick move Buzz... I have an 05 might be able to get 93 cheap. Is that the one with the fully adjustable suspension and alum swing arm.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Both are great bikes, but what are you after. If you want better handling, brakes and engine, go the 05. The difference between my 97 and 05 is huge. I love em both.

·
Registered
791 Posts
A '93 900ss should have both aluminum swinger and fully adjustable Showa forks. SP/CR designation started in '94 with the CR getting the low end spec. as a built-to-a-price version.

Your question will probably bring out the opinionated wackos (CritterDoc, that would be a thinly veiled reference to you, but of course in good fun...) from each camp, but what you really need to know is that they are similar, but entirely different and each has it's share of fans and detractors.

Check here for a chart of model year goodies:http://www.geocities.com/edwyun/frames.html

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks Smack. I was wondering if there is a "collectable" value to a 93.

·
Registered
98 Posts
No idea as to collectable value, just look at my sig to see I have no idea. A 93 will be worth more and more as they disappear.

I have a mate in Aus that has an XA GT coupe. He smiles everytime he sees another one wrecked as he reckons it makes his more desirable. I see the logic.

·
Registered
1,802 Posts
Ya beat me to it.....

"Your question will probably bring out the opinionated wackos (CritterDoc, that would be a thinly veiled reference to you, but of course in good fun...)

·
Registered
638 Posts
Thanks Smack. I was wondering if there is a "collectable" value to a 93.
I think at some point supersports in general will have some collectible value to them. However, that's neither here nor there. But they DO hold a traditional value to them in the sense that they hold a heritage of Ducati.

At the same time, no one knows how that is going to be in the future and unless it's something exceptionally rare a vehicle is a bad choice for an "investment". So buy it expecting it to depreciate, and if it appreciates, appreciate it.

Oh, and yes, CritterDoc is freaking NUTTY! (i'm just kidding)

·
Registered
56 Posts
Maybe this thread isn't the appropriate place to ask, but I can't find it online, and don't want to start a whole thread for it.

After they switched to the new models of SS ('98 and up) they made the ergos much more agressive, much lower clipons. I heard they then relaxed it a bit in a subsequent year. Anyone know what year they started making them a little more comfortable again?

Thanks, and sorry to threadjack, should be a one-reply answer ;)

·
Registered
103 Posts
2000, they added a big spacer to the top of the forks and slap the clip on on top of it.

I had the 1999 900SS, with that said I just picked up a 1992 750SS and this bike I can ride all day. I have both so my personal feelings are that the 1992-1998 up to the FE still looks like a new bike while the 1999-2007 1000/900/800 looks dated already. I'm sure I'm not the only one that feels this way. My 750 stirs my soul while the '99 SS just beats it in performance everywhere.(some monies should fix that problem though.)

Go with what moves ya cause you'll kick yourself if you don't.

·
Registered
1,802 Posts
900 vs 800

One of the previous posters said that the 800 made more power, better handling, brakes, etc. than the 900. I can't speak of the brakes, but I think thats likely true.

However, in power the 900 carb and 800 ss/ie. are roughly equal, and I attached a link to Moto-one performance's 2V dyno chart. If power is a major concern, get the 1000DS. Or even the 900ss ie. With that said, it's fairly straight forward to get alot more punch from a carb'd 900. I've been up the tight side of palamar several times and come out of corners at least as hard as gixxer 750's. Now you can say it's the rider, and you may be right, but I'm definitely not making claims to being the fast guy up the hill. I know one of the years (04?) 800 ss had adjustable front suspension. I would try to make sure whatever you get has adjustable showas, and plan to re-valve or replace whatever is on the rear.

Brakes...Use steel lines and good pads and you can make the front tire howl on any of them.

Just don't get yellow, or you will have Critterdoc on your fanny forever...

http://www.moto-one.com.au/performance/comp2vmodels.html

·
Registered
1,802 Posts
"Just don't get yellow, or you will have Critterdoc on your fanny forever..."

unless it's a Superlight

·
Registered
95 Posts
I think Koihoshi said it best "which do you like?"For me i dont like the pre 99' body style.I have an 03'ss(the only year 800 with adjustable forks)and the more i look at it the more i love it.If power is what you want most...1000ds. Good luck!

·
Registered
1,142 Posts
Just don't get yellow, or you will have Critterdoc on your fanny forever...
Your question will probably bring out the opinionated wackos (CritterDoc, that would be a thinly veiled reference to you
Boys, boys, PLEASE...you really must try to give up this obsession with me!

·
Registered
454 Posts
Personal preference only on this one imo.

I chose the earlier bike.

As Smack mentioned GT coupes I thought I'd post a pic of my Ducati with my old GT under the house

·
Registered
300 Posts
Reference the collectible question, I suspect the '93 would not be particularly collectible. The first year superlight and the last year FE are the only ones that may be collectible....the FE less so.
Mechanically, the '93 won't have the improvements made to later year bikes such as 2 vs 3 phase electrics, internal oil return lines, high mounted positioning of the oil cooler....stuff like that. The '05 800 will have fuel injection...'93 is carb'd....which do you prefer?
Looks? Only you can decide. I like the looks of the early models like my FE. All the other stuff can be added on and changed so then it gets into money.
No easy answer here I guess. You have to decide which one you like and how much you wanna spend.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Thanks for the input guys. I did pick up the 05 800 recently. I'm just contemplating picking up the 93 to start what might be a small collection.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts