Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

81 - 88 of 88 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #81
Got in touch with Jiri at Ignitech and the Sparker TCI is only $129 USD plus $36 shipping. Really a good price, the ignition box handles both coils. I may not need it though. I've been carrying a screw driver and riding and adjusting the pilot screws. Adjusting out the rough spots. The bike is now running much better. I can actually ride it without having to wrestle it. I can go through the gears in town at low RPM and I'm in the sweet spot when I turn the power on. Of course we'll see what kind of a mood the "old girl" is in tomorrow...

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #82
Ok here's the latest. No matter how I improved it, it always came back to the same thing: sputtering and bucking when at idle low or high, and then the occasional pop back on a turn. Last night I was ready to throw it in the river! I opened the carb drains and collected some gas in a clear bottle. Debris in the gas! I drained the carbs good and now its running much better, better than ever. I did have the carbs cleaned, but there must have been some varnish in the lines. When I got the bike it had bad gas in it. A very easy fix. I will check it occasionally.

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
If you have to remove the carbs to clean them---Did you replace the old fuel lines--If No -why not?, Did you clean the tank (not just drain some of the old gas out)--If No why not? --If the carbs are dirty enough to need removal and cleaning what makes you think the rest of fuel system does not need the same.--Work smart Not hard

·
Registered
7,031 Posts
“If you don’t have the time to do it right, where will you find the time to do it over ?”
( my old boss)

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #86 (Edited)
You guys are absolutely correct. I suppose I could mention that the reason I didn't get into the carbs myself is because I'm recovering from a chemical burning accident which left me disabled with MCS. I actually got the bike to help me retrain my brain not to over-react to chemicals. The endorphins I get from riding help to reinforce new brain maps. (The Brain that changes itself by Dr. Norman Doidge) I did change the gas filter myself but didn't feel ready to hover over the carbs just yet. I am determined to get there mostly for my health but partly to avoid the frustration of other people messing up my bike and getting paid to do it! I can do that myself for free.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #87
Ok, finally decided to get to the carbs and at least look them over. On my way in I noticed one of the clamps that hold the carbs to the airbox was slipped up and over tightened causing a vacuum leak and interrupting air flow to that carb. Then I found the air box lower front screw on the left was cross threaded and I had to cut it out to remove the air box. Replaced the air box put new correct screws (brass) so they wont react with the brass inserts and, wrestled the air box into place ( I can see how people cross thread those screws it's a tight fit) got it all back together and just made sure it started. Put it away until a week later. Test rode it today and It's really finally running good.

·
Registered
7,031 Posts
Glad you got it going. Good luck with your recovery. I had a chemical burn incident many years ago that still affects me ( nerve damage ) The best advice I could ever give you is to follow the doctors advice and do your therapy. I made a huge mistake not doing my therapy because it hurt. That was a mistake I regret to this day.

81 - 88 of 88 Posts