Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

21 - 40 of 62 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
There's something about these Italians, theyr'e annoying, beautiful, strong, hot, easy to fall in love with, and hard to forget.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
Can these spark plug wires on my 93 750ss be changed w/o changing the coils too? The wires don't want to come out of the coils.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
Apparently that's not the case. I just did it and the wire snapped off inside. Apparently its one unit.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
The core appears to be solid copper. Usually on twist off types there's a kind of threaded spike inside to make the connection. I put it back together and it runs the same but I think there should be a solid connection in there. What does yours look like inside the coil where the wire meets it?

·
Registered
327 Posts
Mine was just the regular threaded spike thingy. I wonder if that coil was aftermarket part? I now have different coils.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
Thanks ducvet. The bike ran pretty good for a couple of days after being in the garage for a week. Last night we had a lot of rain and its running terrible today.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
All right, So after I pulled the wire out of the coil I put it back in and the bike ran exactly the same, pretty terrible but the same as before I pulled the wire. So apparently the spark can jump a small gap as with points. So I tested the coils. The primaries both in spec but no continuity in the high voltage circuit on both. Also found no continuity in one spark plug connector. I think I've found the problem. Got another set of coils and wires on the way.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #36
It's all good! I appreciate the help and it's up to me to do the research. J.B. you actually gave me the key to the problem I think. The coils appear to be bad and I've got some black ones on the way. All things work together for good to them that love God, who are the called according to his purpose. Romans 8:28 KJV

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #38
Turns out I was not using my 1950's multimeter correctly. The coils and wires do test within spec resistance. So I put some solder on the plug wire and shoved it up where it attached/broke off from the coil. I figured the high voltage arc might fuse it. It tested within specs. Took the bike to Stavely Custom Cycles here in Ormond Beach. The owner has two 900ss's. He said it sounded like a vacuum leak. Sure enough my airbox/crankcase breather hole was leaking. Fixed it and much improvement. Will now go over all possible vacuum leak spots. This bike is definitely keeping me focused on some thing positive during these crazy times.

·
Registered
1,062 Posts
Damn your in Ormond Beach---My Shop is in DeLand lol

21 - 40 of 62 Posts