Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know where I can get a rubber gasket for my gas cap? It leaks when propped up. I did overhaul the lock assembly which really helped it seat flush, but its still leaking.

Any suggestions? I really don't want to loose the original logo, or use a second key.

Also, Ive had no luck finding a '00 750ss front brake switch for my master/lever conversion. Does anyone know where I can get one OEM, or aftermarket?

·
Registered
3,912 Posts
Your local dealer can order those, but most likely they will in turn order it from Ducati of Omaha anyway. You will have to call them to look it up, online part numbers don't go back that far for the gas cap rubber.

·
Registered
1,499 Posts
Does anyone know where I can get a rubber gasket for my gas cap? It leaks when propped up. I did overhaul the lock assembly which really helped it seat flush, but its still leaking.

Any suggestions? I really don't want to loose the original logo, or use a second key.
Ducati Omaha. The online microfiche for the 2001 Super Sport has what you need. The cap and cap carrier did not change. What do you mean propped up? It leaks when the tank is propped up? If so, it may not be the cap but the o-ring on the cap carrier that is leaking.
Also, Ive had no luck finding a '00 750ss front brake switch for my master/lever conversion. Does anyone know where I can get one OEM, or aftermarket?
You'll need to be patient and keep checking eBay...or also check Ducati Omaha. There may not be a difference in the switch from a 2001 back to the 2000. All I got man, hope it helps.....sean

·
Registered
5,284 Posts
You used to be able to get the Cherry brand version of this from Radio Shack for less than $2. My SP3 still wears one (from around 1996). I don't recall when Ducati started using ones with leads already attached. You could buy this one and make your own leads.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Ducati-Bre...Ducati&hash=item4d908e842c:g:5xsAAOSw2s1UzDRc

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Cherry-DC1...497377?hash=item467ccca621:g:wt0AAOSwLnBX8od8

https://uk.rs-online.com/web/p/micr...D424F5448267573743D444331432D4C31414126&sra=p

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Ducati-Bre...020688&hash=item4d9035a1fc:g:BEUAAOSw7ilcm7ie

·
Premium Member
5,455 Posts
Brembo 110.4418.12

I am out but will check the distributor to make sure they can still get them.

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Your local dealer can order those, but most likely they will in turn order it from Ducati of Omaha anyway. You will have to call them to look it up, online part numbers don't go back that far for the gas cap rubber.
Thanks!

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ducati Omaha. The online microfiche for the 2001 Super Sport has what you need. The cap and cap carrier did not change. What do you mean propped up? It leaks when the tank is propped up? If so, it may not be the cap but the o-ring on the cap carrier that is leaking.

You'll need to be patient and keep checking eBay...or also check Ducati Omaha. There may not be a difference in the switch from a 2001 back to the 2000. All I got man, hope it helps.....sean
Thanks Sean. Yeah when I prop the tank with the lever, it leaks from the cap on the outside, enough to drip steady off the outside of the tank. I noticed a tiny tear in the black rubber gasket so I figured it was that. Ill look up what your talking about.

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
You used to be able to get the Cherry brand version of this from Radio Shack for less than $2. My SP3 still wears one (from around 1996). I don't recall when Ducati started using ones with leads already attached. You could buy this one and make your own leads.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Ducati-Bre...Ducati&hash=item4d908e842c:g:5xsAAOSw2s1UzDRc

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Cherry-DC1...497377?hash=item467ccca621:g:wt0AAOSwLnBX8od8

https://uk.rs-online.com/web/p/micr...D424F5448267573743D444331432D4C31414126&sra=p

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Ducati-Bre...020688&hash=item4d9035a1fc:g:BEUAAOSw7ilcm7ie
Thanks SP3! Im sure I can make one now. How do they mount? I haven't looked closely at mine yet or taken it off. I do know that mine is not working.

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

Thanks Iwannaduc, I forgot to mention, this is for a '00 750ss set of masters/reservoirs that is going on a '93 750ss...that shouldn't matter from the switch back to the tail light I wouldn't think.

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks you guys for all the help! This forum has been nothing but positive, which is sometimes hard to find on forums now...especially in the RC world...yikes.

I forgot to ask...do you guys have any suggestions for front brake pads? Are the EBC HH Sintered good, if so are they ok with OEM discs?

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Brembo 110.4418.12

I am out but will check the distributor to make sure they can still get them.
Thanks ducvet! You guys are great!

·
Registered
235 Posts

If I need some OEM parts or OEM part numbers I always check www.startwin.com. Click: Parts -> OEM Ducati -> Supersport -> See all Ducati Supersport Parts ->1996 -> Supersport 900SS. You'll end up here and you will find nearly all available parts.
They haven't got the '93 750 listed but I believe the gas tank is the same as the one on a 900.

The part seems to be sold out but at least you can find the OEM Part number this way.
I believe it is part 48 in the Fuel Tank Drawing with part nr 79110151A.
Google this part number and see what you can find!

Good luck!!

·
Premium Member
5,455 Posts
I did hear back the switch is available for retail $10.67 us

Check your local shop and they should be able to get it for you. This is from a distributor so they do not sell to the public but the retail listed is msrp so you should expect to spend close to that price.

·
Registered
913 Posts
If you mean there is a tear in the black rubber gasket that is visible between the cap carrier and the top of the tank, that seal is only cosmetic and to keep stuff from getting in the space around the cap carrier. The actual fluid seals are a green Viton o-ring on the cap carrier and the seal between the cap and the filler hole. You have to remove the cap carrier from the tank to get to the o-ring.

·
Premium Member
5,455 Posts
As someone who plays with many gas tanks during service I can tell you most of the time the gas comes through the vent in the cap and not past the large green o-ring unless someone tore it. Almost all aftermarket caps will leak through the cap as they vent air through the cap. Seal the cap and some tanks will implode so look carefully at how air can get in the tank as fuel leaves it must be able to or you will be fixing your tank.

Many tanks simply cannot be inverted without losing fuel out the cap, is the problem a problem or just something you discovered your bike has always done? If the large green o-ring is the issue your bigger issue is that you will get water in the tank in the rain/washing. if it is through the cap/charcoal canister line you should be fine from water getting in. Is your bike a california model with a drilled out cap flange or a sold flange except for the drain?

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
If I need some OEM parts or OEM part numbers I always check www.startwin.com. Click: Parts -> OEM Ducati -> Supersport -> See all Ducati Supersport Parts ->1996 -> Supersport 900SS. You'll end up here and you will find nearly all available parts.
They haven't got the '93 750 listed but I believe the gas tank is the same as the one on a 900.

The part seems to be sold out but at least you can find the OEM Part number this way.
I believe it is part 48 in the Fuel Tank Drawing with part nr 79110151A.
Google this part number and see what you can find! Good luck!!
Sounds good...thanks!

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
As someone who plays with many gas tanks during service I can tell you most of the time the gas comes through the vent in the cap and not past the large green o-ring unless someone tore it. Almost all aftermarket caps will leak through the cap as they vent air through the cap. Seal the cap and some tanks will implode so look carefully at how air can get in the tank as fuel leaves it must be able to or you will be fixing your tank.

Many tanks simply cannot be inverted without losing fuel out the cap, is the problem a problem or just something you discovered your bike has always done? If the large green o-ring is the issue your bigger issue is that you will get water in the tank in the rain/washing. if it is through the cap/charcoal canister line you should be fine from water getting in. Is your bike a california model with a drilled out cap flange or a sold flange except for the drain?

Hmmm ducvet, my bike is not CA. I just bought it so Im not sure how long its been doing this. I do not have a green o-ring. Maybe its missing? I has the black rubber gasket which looks like an accordian bellows. If folds in on itself and It expands a bit if you pull on it. It does have a small tear in it in one of the folds.

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
If you mean there is a tear in the black rubber gasket that is visible between the cap carrier and the top of the tank, that seal is only cosmetic and to keep stuff from getting in the space around the cap carrier. The actual fluid seals are a green Viton o-ring on the cap carrier and the seal between the cap and the filler hole. You have to remove the cap carrier from the tank to get to the o-ring.
Thanks Spacey, Ill remove the carrier and check. I removed the cap from the carrier and did a total cleaning overhaul. It was rusted and had sludge in the lock mechanism. The cap carrier looks like someone stuck heat shrink tubing around it next to the tank outer edge.

The black gasket Im talking about is on the actual cap just past the lock, where it closes snug on the filler hole. It forms around a rim and can be removed at that lip. The tear is hidden in one of the folds.

·
Registered
1,499 Posts
Hmmm ducvet, my bike is not CA. I just bought it so Im not sure how long its been doing this. I do not have a green o-ring. Maybe its missing? I has the black rubber gasket which looks like an accordian bellows. If folds in on itself and It expands a bit if you pull on it. It does have a small tear in it in one of the folds.
The green viton o-ring is not visible. If you remove the fill cap, you will see there are 8 tiny grub screws that secure the cap carrier to the bung on the tank. Remove those and pull firmly up and the carrier will pop out revealing a green viton o-ring.

See the image below. You should see this once the cap carrier is removed......sean

1 - 20 of 28 Posts