Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

61 - 70 of 70 Posts

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
Discussion Starter #61
There's another topics about the battery box and different options what can be installed instead of the OEM plastic thingy. 2Moto has their aluminium version for sale again. Asked about it and it's 90 pounds(sterling) plus 20 for shipping to Finland. So roughly 128 euros shipped. Claimed weight saving 500 grams. I think the race boxes save more, but are they made for the RS piping or are there different models?

https://www.facebook.com/commerce/products/3086563841369799/

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
Discussion Starter #62
The end is near and the motor has been put back together. Final configuration was the old engine spiced with 999S crank, titanium rods, 749R cams and modified Pistal Pistons(the ones from the big bore kit). Compression should be somewhere above 14. It's still out of the frame and timing needs to be sorted. Any suggestions?

Lots of little stuff to install and I already missed one track day, but planning to have it dynoed during next week and ready for double header in 1,5 weeks time.

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
Discussion Starter #63
Problems at the final hour. Was supposed to do a track weekend sat-sun, but instead the bike isn't running. One of the 2 fuel injectors seems to be clogged or something. Is there any point in "upgrading" to 12 hole ones or just replace the faulty one if it cannot be brought back to life? Not that keen on pouring any more money on this build for now...

·
Premium Member
4,561 Posts
Some people say do it, other (me:)) say don’t bother as there’s nothing to gain. Just buy a single replacement injector and ride the crap out of it.

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
Discussion Starter #65
And we have a solution. It wasn't the injector, but ECU instead. Tried with used race ECU and it ran fine. Next stop is the dyno. I thought it was odd that during more or less proper storage during the winter the injector would have given up, but I guess it made sense. Now I'm more puzzled that the ECU would be faulty, since it ran just fine before the bike was dismantled, but can't argue with the results. It wasn't just that it wasn't spitting fuel, but same symptoms were noticed at the spark plug too by the plug not giving proper spark when it should have -> faulty ecu.

I know these bikes have had faulty ECUs, but mine wasn't even the original one. It was replaced back in 2005 or 2006 under warranty, then swapped to FIM ecu which never worked that well before it went toast and then we went back to the OEM replacement one with PCIII.

·
Registered
21 Posts
There's another topics about the battery box and different options what can be installed instead of the OEM plastic thingy. 2Moto has their aluminium version for sale again. Asked about it and it's 90 pounds(sterling) plus 20 for shipping to Finland. So roughly 128 euros shipped. Claimed weight saving 500 grams. I think the race boxes save more, but are they made for the RS piping or are there different models?

https://www.facebook.com/commerce/products/3086563841369799/
Did you end up getting this? Considering getting one as my battery tray is discolored from probably a faulty battery from a previous owner and I'm looking to put in a lithium battery next.

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
Discussion Starter #68
Talking about smaller disappointments I found out the Samco hose kit that was installed was the wrong one. Missing one longer one that does 90 degree turn in the middle of the pipe. Should have made my homework with these too:

"Please note that due to Ducati fitting some 749 / 999 Base and S models with R version cooling systems please check the attached images to make sure you select the correct kit, This Kit is DUC-5 & This does not fit the 749 / 999 R models which have a different kit DUC-8 here."

I guess I have the DUC-5 kit and due to different radiators used I need the DUC-8 kit. I guess my bike has then the R radiator.

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
Discussion Starter #69
Season opened. I'll write up longer story when I have more time in hands + photos, but few key points:

- Power went from 123hp rear wheel to 142,8. So a healthy gain there. 108nm of torque.(for reference another 924 kitted bike had done 117 at the same dyno)
- Brembo serie oro discs, Ferodo pads and Brembo RCS 19*xx works a treat.

More to follow.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
Discussion Starter #70
So few track days behind and some issues have occurred. Bike misfires. It doesn’t do it often or in consistent places/rpm/gear etc. Back in the day when I had the FIM ecu it caused misfire but it was more or less constant at higher rpm. Then I had faulty coil which cut spark at 7000rpm or somewhere around there. Now its really random. The electronics are the same as before but we had issues with the crank position sensor before dyno so it’s been replaced with used functional item. Anyway feel free to share opinions what to try now. No error light.

61 - 70 of 70 Posts