Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

41 - 60 of 70 Posts

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
Discussion Starter #41
As promised some video footage from the track:

https://youtu.be/kWJFjf9VDPM

Quite soft riding, but at least you get a glimpse of the nicest track in Finland (that loooong fast left hander is really nice curve). Don't like the Yamaha throttle that much as it is way too long still. Gonna get a quick action throttle and quick shifter so I can focus on riding better. I tried this new more mature approach to riding and took the brakes for example really easy.

·
Premium Member
3,067 Posts
As promised some video footage from the track:

https://youtu.be/kWJFjf9VDPM

Quite soft riding, but at least you get a glimpse of the nicest track in Finland (that loooong fast left hander is really nice curve). Don't like the Yamaha throttle that much as it is way too long still. Gonna get a quick action throttle and quick shifter so I can focus on riding better. I tried this new more mature approach to riding and took the brakes for example really easy.
Good to see you having some fun mate :D

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
Discussion Starter #43
Problems solved.

Swapped the horizontal coil to a new used one and bang the bike ran faultlessly according to my mech. Problem with the front brake was more alarming now when I think it. I can't remember what brand those pads were (bought them from a member here same time with the mag wheels) and they had gone really bad. Now installed some Brembo ones and we are good to go again. Gonna add Domino quick action throttle while we are at it now.

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
Discussion Starter #47
Spend last weekend at a track and suffered quite a few false neutrals when downshifting from 3rd to 2nd gear. Usually if I miss a gear it's during upshifting, but this time almost all of my missed were downshifting errors. Sometimes I get lazy with the lever, but not like this before. No quickshifter installed etc, so it's pretty much stock setting. Slipper clutch is installed. Any insight what might be the problem?

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
Discussion Starter #50
Now that this is up again I might chime in the latest. It's quite rainy and cold here already, so bike has been in garage at another town for a few weeks now. Spent yesterday doing maintenance things like changing the oil and filter, cleaning the chain and re-lubricating it, cleaned the wheels and fairings too. While doing the wheels I noticed that with all the tire changing marks on the rear wheel there was also a place where the paint was bubbling a bit. Oxidation? Should I send the wheels for a refurbishing? They are the magnesium Marchesini's, so they could have their issues I assume. I have to try and find out if there is some place here in Finland that does these jobs or I have to send them to England to that ex-Dymag guy who at least does these and has good reputation.

Mods for the winter:

- Install the Domino quick action throttle (just need to sort out the thing with the cable)
- Lightweight battery
- Quick shifter
- Maybe get rid of the street stuff. Pretty confident it's all track next summer. Would mean getting rid of lights and installing the race front frame.

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
Discussion Starter #51
Resurrection.

Engine started making funny noises on it's last track day this summer, yet it did run well until the end. The engine hasn't been torn apart yet, but after inspection the problem was crank bearing or some other bearing(can't recall 100% sure which one). Hopefully everything else is fine.

What's next?

Rebuilding it. Classic while we are at it... Why not upgrade a bit? Rough plan currently:

- replace all the bearings etc
- 999 crank
- titanium rods
- 100mm Pistal pistons(the big bore kit ones that it currently has)
- 749R heads
- check that all transmission parts are fine and if not replaced

Comments? Recommendations? Ideas? If there was no limit on the budget I would probably polish the crank and send the heads to CJS racing for some airflowing, but that would be some 1000-2000 euros more which I'm not interested investing. Rather put that money on suspension if somewhere. Listed parts are available from my mech so therefore they are much easier in that sense. We need to open the engine anyway so I thought making reasonable upgrades isn't going overboard and should offer some extra performance. Was planning to buy a new Panigale half seriously, but maybe I'll postpone it for one year at least and see how this turns out. I still like the bike and it's pretty heavily modded so it goes pretty well IMO around the track. If I sort the suspension too then it should be a nice package for some time.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Check your piston height as its different from 749 100mm big bore to 100mm 999 pistons.
You can see on the pistal website.

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
Discussion Starter #53
Check your piston height as its different from 749 100mm big bore to 100mm 999 pistons.
You can see on the pistal website.
This will be done accordingly.

Update: Engine was torn apart and luckily everything else seems to be in good working order. So the plan is pretty much the same, but will most probably just go with the 749R cams instead of the complete heads. This is up to debate and we can do both as the cams slot in nicely to the current heads too. Any thoughts on this whether the gains from the full heads would be worthwhile? Cases etc seemed to be in good condition too.

Currently the bike has OEM ecu with PCIII. We will need to remap it anyway, so is it more sensible just to ditch the PCIII and re-flash the ecu? We got access to local Ducati guy who can do that too. Will be adding HM quickshifter same time if that makes any difference.

Forged magnesium Marchesinis left yesterday towards UK and TCPS powder coating for the proper treatment that mag wheels need when redone. Probably will stick with gloss black color, but could go mag gold color too.

Planning to do fork rebuild(mild one) with new valving, oil and possibly new springs too. Would like to do cartridge kit rebuild with Mupo etc, but it gets a bit pricey. If anyone has info chime in here whether it's worthwhile to do the bigger. Rear shock either rebuild or new one(also Mupo). Will throw in the carbon fairings that I have lying around and turn it into 100% track bike without lights etc.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Hi,

I've got some experiences revalving the stock showa fork (shims only) and can only recomment that you give this a go. Stock compression valving is a joke (way to harsh) and I went down on spring rate as well.

Rear could use a heavier spring as well.

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
Discussion Starter #55
Regarding suspension I currently have Bitubo rear shock so that end is sort of sorted. It's pretty old though and doesn't look anything like the ones they sell now at Bitubo for the 999 models. I'm pondering whether try to rebuild(spring needs to be powder coated too etc) it or just get something newer and readily sorted same time with the fork upgrade. Originally the bike was biposto so the OEM rear Showa was probably a bit too hard on the spring side rather than too soft, but anyway that's a thing of past.

In other news TPCS has the wheels ready and I received couple of before/after photos from Steve. Went for the gold color in the end and gotta say they look pretty nice, but... The rear wheel was quite badly oxidized already so the finish on that isn't perfect, but it's as good as it could be. I'll post the photos when I've got the ok from them to share those. If not you gotta wait for a week or so that I get my hands on them. Overall very happy with the service.

Other parts have been arriving too and I'll post some pictures when I get the whole bunch of them together. Could do some weight measuring too since that at least interests me quite a lot.

- PP Tuning clip ons
- Front racing frame from Bursi(nice quality and very light)
- Used front race fairing in carbon (got the carbon side panels already too)
- Carbon fairing V piece
- HM quickshifter +
- New Frentubo brake lines (type 3 in blue)
- New black OEM look dzus fasterners (old ones partly corroded)

Will most probably get new Brembo discs for the refurbished wheels. Current setup includes some stupid chinese braking wave copies in front and OEM disc at the rear. Carbon tail is also happening and then the whole lot will be painted(plus some carbon bits re-finished with fresh lacquer), but struggling to make up my mind what kind of color scheme to go for. Normal red or superleggera red? How much carbon exposed etc. Got some ideas from yellowducking's 999 FILA project, but not sure what will be the final product. Maybe will get some Samco or similar hoses for pure aesthetics. Bubbling under is the battery box which is pretty bulky originally and I've got access to nice aluminium setup, but we will see.

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
Discussion Starter #56
There we go. During and after the process. I'll dig into my archives and try to find a before shot too. The damage was extensive and I'm sure that's the best possible outcome. Color looking not too shabby IMO.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
Discussion Starter #59
Will post some pictures from the bits that are going in and try to weight them up(if possible I'll weight the replaced parts too).

Happened to have old battery around to make comparison with the Magneti Marelli lithium battery.

OEM battery 3753 grams
Magneti Marelli lithium 889 grams

weight saving = 2864 grams

PP Tuning clip on (bar) 177 grams
PP Tuning clip on (mount) 155 grams

Can't do comparison yet, but the bar seems to be pretty heavy IMO. Carbon tubes maybe...

Carbon fiber nose cone 634 grams

This is pretty light. Has already some paint on it, but will be redone. I think it was DP part.

Race front fairing stay 446 grams

From Bursi Evolution. Don't know if they manufacture anything is buy from somewhere, but it's really light and looks good quality too.

Fren Tubo type 3 clutch line 67 grams

Wasn't going to do this swap, but since the brake lines will be swapped this will complete the look. If I went @yellowducking I would be swapping the oil lines too with these hoses, but will probably resist the temptation :D

Attachments

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
Discussion Starter #60
Thumbnails seem to rotate the photo, but if you open them in new tab then they are not sideways anymore.

8 dzus fairing bolts OEM style 44 grams

I think these are by far the best looking ones. I see a lot of those metal ones with the pin that you can twist by hand, but don't like them at all.

Samco hoses (including the plastic wrapping they came with) 458 grams

These are 100% for the looks. When I get the OEM hoses will do a comparison anyway.

Attachments

41 - 60 of 70 Posts