Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
506 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I searched around and haven't found the short and simple answer to this:

Do I need to upgrade the charging system on my '92 900SS if I choose to go with a Shorai battery? The OEM (yes, OEM) LA won't hold a charge, even after replacing the juice last summer. It's toast as far as batteries go.

·
Registered
154 Posts
I have not yet installed mine yet, but from what I understand it is just a battery swap and the oem charging system is just fine for it.

·
Registered
506 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you, that's what I wanted to know.

One more Q, basically my bike is stock, think I can get away with the 14 instead of the 18 and save myself $50?

·
Registered
2,434 Posts
I have lithium batteries in both my bikes. No modifications necesary. In Livingston MT it gets cold. The lithium batteries don't like cold. Get the 18.

·
Registered
401 Posts
Check your charging out put. If you get the 14+ volts you are supposed to you are fine. If it is running low then not so much. All the literature I have seen recommends charging the lithium batteries at 14.4 volts.

·
Registered
506 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Check your charging out put. If you get the 14+ volts you are supposed to you are fine. If it is running low then not so much. All the literature I have seen recommends charging the lithium batteries at 14.4 volts.
Thanks for the tip. I'll check it out tonight when I jump it to get some tires installed.

I'm going to go with the 18. I'm not concerned about cold, since I pull the batteries and leave them in my house over winter anyway.

·
Registered
2,434 Posts
Cold won't hurt a lithium battery, it just reduces the cranking ability. I leave mine in the bikes all winter in an unheated garage in Wyoming. Doesn't have to be winter though; the reduced output is noticeable below about 50 F.

·
Registered
506 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I can't wait to get the battery. Its going to be nice knowing I can shut my bike off and it will start up again!:rolleyes:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts