Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
815 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just started riding again since my accident last September and have been taking some short hops out on my 1992 SS. I never really rode this bike (I always used the Superlight). I notice that when the revs get up above 6500, the bike hesitates, breaks up, and just runs very poorly. Seems like it makes more noise than power. At slower speeds and lower RPMs, it seems fine. Bike only has 2000 mile son it. Previous owner did install a jet kit. Has open airbox, K&N filter, stock exhaust. While I don’t expect it to respond like the Superlight did with the 41 MM FCRs, I can’t believe that a ‘stock’ bike should run this poorly.

Any ideas (besides putting the FCRs on it)? Is this an ignition problem, fuel problem, both?

Also, I notice the rubber gasket around the gas tank filler neck is all dry-rotted? How do you get to this gasket? Simply removing the Allen bolts holding gas cap doesn’t do the trick. :eek:(

·
Premium Member
815 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks. I'll get new plugs. I have the Dyna coils form my Superlight. Is that an easy swap?

·
Excel Addict
2001 900SSie
5,345 Posts
Fuel cap assembly removal

I presume the fuel cap assembly is the same/similar to later models. There is a large O ring down lower in the assembly. This provides a very tight fit. On my 01 model, I put the rubber handle end of my hammer into the hole and lever it gently, working from side to side to break the seal and ease it up.

Watch out for bits of the perished top ring dropping in.

Richard

·
Senior Italophile
867 Posts
I had the same issue with my girls 900ss. The carbs were not sync'ed right. The effect was that one cylinder was not getting as much fuel mixture at the higher RPMs thus causing the rough performance at higher rpms.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts