Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

21 - 40 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
396 Posts
Good Lord!

I cannot believe what I read on forums at times! If you cannot add 3 or so odd quarts to your machine after loosening a screw and unscrewing an oil filter at the minimum you should not even be riding the thing!!! $100 to change some oil is obscene to say the least, sheeez......

·
Registered
8,545 Posts
Rduck851 said:
I cannot believe what I read on forums at times! If you cannot add 3 or so odd quarts to your machine after loosening a screw and unscrewing an oil filter at the minimum you should not even be riding the thing!!! $100 to change some oil is obscene to say the least, sheeez......
I'd say anyone who goes back a second time to have their oil & filter changed for $100 already has that screw loose.

·
Registered
130 Posts
+1

Even when I'm doing either my BMW or Ducati oil/ filter change it usually costs me around fifty bucks. An extra $40.00 for someone else to do it doesn't seem unreasonable to me.

How much do you make in a half hour at work? These guys need to eat to you know.

·
Registered
882 Posts
Some people need to have the work done by someone else, for whatever reason(s). $100 is not out of the ordinary. It's a brand new bike, his first oil change, maybe his first Ducati. The dealer might also have spent a little extra time looking over a few things.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
I just wanted to give a big 'thanks' to all of you who responded. And to those who were so quick to judge with your negative comments (thanks for the warm welcome!)...this is my first bike.

On the positive side, I had a hidden agenda when I took my bike there. I wanted to see how easy or difficult the job is. After BS'ing with the mechanic, he let me come back to the service area and watch what he was doing. He described everything in detail (how to remove the fairing, drain plugs, filter screen, ect.) and said it would be a piece of cake to change the oil myself. A little bit messy with the oil dripping in the exhaust, but no big deal.

I'll definitely do it myself the next time...

·
Registered
1,167 Posts
bruce19 said:
I'd say anyone who goes back a second time to have their oil & filter changed for $100 already has that screw loose.
Ah, heh, you see, um, we got this saying in Texas, mebbe ya'll got here in Tennessee as well. It's a- Fool me once, shame on you! Fool me twice... well, ummm ahhh, ummm... ya'll can't git fooled again! heh heh".

·
Registered
2,794 Posts
As a retired Air Force guy, I'll change your oil for you any time. Air Force special is currently $50 even. Beer included. Just bring the bike by any time today and leave it. I'll have it ready to pick up early 2008. ;)

·
Registered
8,545 Posts
AirForceDucatiGuy said:
.... And to those who were so quick to judge with your negative comments (thanks for the warm welcome!).....
Don't confuse honest comments with "negativity." It's not about you. It's about dealerships that charge too much and what we all learn from those experiences.

·
Registered
104 Posts
$150 at Munroe in San Fran.

·
Registered
403 Posts
Don't think you got taken at all. But next time you need an oil change, me and my friends would be happy to help you do it. Just give me a shout (you're always welcome to join a ride, too). IMO, oil changes are something that every bike owner should be doing themselves.

·
Registered
575 Posts
I wouldn't have minded someone else around the first time I did mine. The mesh screen was in there so tight I though I would break something getting it out. To add insult to injury, the oil filter must have been put on with lock-tite. These bikes are a real investment and screwing it up takes away at least $100 worth of fun. Having the mechanic walk you through was a good idea.

·
Señor Member
8,027 Posts
A suggestion for when the time comes that you do the oil change yourself. Wrap aluminum foil around the lower pipe to keep the draining oil off of it. Wear rubber gloves to keep it off your hands, the stuff is a health risk. While the oil is draining look around the open areas for anything looking out of place or broken. A Hanyes manual goes a long way in helping with what to do. Best of luck.

"in accordance with the prophecy"

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
There is absolutely nothing wrong with people having the dealers do ALL of their work.. More power to you or them. I know a lot of people who just prefer to pay someone to do the work.. Bit like I bet quite a few of you will pay some-one to mow your lawns or clean your house or even wash your car.. go figure.

Big thing is I know a LOT more people that just should NEVER be allowed anywhere near hand or power tools.. A few true examples.. Had 3 people in the last few years who fitted brake pads to their car and put one in back to front.. Metal to metal in about 30 metres.. "Can't be the brakes.. I just did them" .. One VERY good friend was removing and re-fitting 5mm threaded bolts into an aluminium rocker cover using a 1/2" drive ratchet and socket.. after breaking the 4th head OFF.. he says.. " These bolts are pretty soft.. hey!!! " Or what about the chap here who thought there might be a problem with his brakes so he pulled his calipers apart..

I'd ALWAYS suggest having the dealer do the first few services and even the inital one if I bought a s/h bike.

anyway... welcome and hope you enjoy your bike.

In accordance with the prophecy...

Mal

·
Bobaganoosh
2,048 Posts
mals900ss said:
Big thing is I know a LOT more people that just should NEVER be allowed anywhere near hand or power tools.. A few true examples.. Had 3 people in the last few years who fitted brake pads to their car and put one in back to front.. Metal to metal in about 30 metres.. "Can't be the brakes.. I just did them" .. One VERY good friend was removing and re-fitting 5mm threaded bolts into an aluminium rocker cover using a 1/2" drive ratchet and socket.. after breaking the 4th head OFF.. he says.. " These bolts are pretty soft.. hey!!! " Or what about the chap here who thought there might be a problem with his brakes so he pulled his calipers apart..

Mal
I had a co-worker (a fireman, supposed to know tools) ask me to help him change a flat. I said go get me a 3/4" socket, extension and 3/8"drive. He comes back with a handfull of open-end box wrenches. Well I wasted my time trying to educate him since he finally got fired!

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
Don't blame him mate... a 3/4" socket on a 3/8 drive?? sheesh!!!

Right tool for the right job haahahah...

I have to admit I have a real bad Ring Spanner habit.. In preference I'll grab a spanner over socket most times.

Mal

·
Bobaganoosh
2,048 Posts
mals900ss said:
Don't blame him mate... a 3/4" socket on a 3/8 drive?? sheesh!!!

Right tool for the right job haahahah...

I have to admit I have a real bad Ring Spanner habit.. In preference I'll grab a spanner over socket most times.

Mal
If you know tools and I ask for a 3/4 socket with a 3/8's drive you should know what I am talking about. Since when does what you call a "spanner" we call a open end box fit inside the recessed lug nut on a modern car wheel.

I just finally got a set of ratcheting open-end/box wrenches...oh how I love them...

My new toolchest, empty its 300+lbs of steel and ball bearings! Drawers with 60 pounds of tools are smooth like buttah!

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
Fair enough.. not all wheel nuts are recessed though.. I hijack a little.. Still, you want to undo a 3/4" nut with a 3/8" drive?? I'm not sure I even have a 3/8" dr 3/4 socket.. I WILL go check though.. (oops I do have a 13/16 spark plug socket with 3/8 dr)

hehehe.. perhaps you meant 1/2" drive??

Still what's an eighth of an inch between friends.. Not even my ex-wife could tell that difference.. she would have told you she could though!!! hahaha..

Ok enough thread jacking..

21 - 40 of 42 Posts