Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Ducati lovers

I just got back from having the oil changed on my 2005 ST3. It's the first time I've had it in the shop since I bought it 3 months ago. I've always heard that maintenance costs on a Duc are on the high side, but is paying $92.17 for an oil change excessive?

Oil...$8.50 per quart X 4 quarts = $34.00
Filter = $15.00
Washer = $2.50
Shop supplies = $6.00
Labor = $30.00

For a grand total...after taxes...$92.17

Did I get taken to the cleaners? Or is this about standard price for an oil change?

·
Registered
699 Posts
labor seems alittle high. best option is to just change the oil yourself, it takes about 20 minutes max, way easier than any car ive ever owned! save the 30 bucks in labor next time and buy a haynes motor manual for your bike and enjoy doing your own maintnance!

·
Registered
106 Posts
No, you weren't "taken to the cleaners" - an oil change is around $80 here in Southern California. It's embarrassing to pay so much for such a simple task, but I prefer that the dealer does all maintenance work during the warranty period in case (heaven forbid :eek: ) I have to make any claims. I'll definitely change my own oil after the warranty period is over.

·
Bobaganoosh
2,048 Posts
oil - $6.00 x 4 = 24.00(buy Mobil 1 syn in bulk)
filter - $0.00 = 0.00 (I have a Scotts reusable filter)
Washer - $0.00 = 0.00 ( I reuse 3-4 times 0 leaks)
Supplies - $ 0.00 = 0.00 (I have a garage full of everything)
Six Pack - $7.99 = $7.99

Total $31.99 and having the satisfaction or working on it myself and knowing its done right.

·
Registered
882 Posts
You didn't do it yourself, so everything looks fine - $30 for labor is low if you ask me. That's what, under half an hour? I would expect a service department at any dealership to charge a full hour for a complete oil/filter change. The parts and material charges look fine too since it's a dealership.

Around $100 for a Ducati dealer oil and filter change, including a screen inspection, including synthetic oil... is the norm.

Do it yourself next time and save $70 or more. Keep the receipts for your records.

·
Bobaganoosh
2,048 Posts
Stealerships in LA going rate is $90 an hour

·
Registered
3,493 Posts
Question;

Can I get by with just using a rearstand for changing my own oil or will I need to buy a front stand too? I paid 60.00 for labor at my local Honda (":eek:") shop to have them do it even after I brought my own oil/filter with me (and pages from the shop manual I printed for their wrench).

·
Super Moderator
25,923 Posts
Just a rear will work fine. The best way to check the level when you are re-filling (and sneaking up on it!) is with the bike on its wheels, I just hold the frame spar and crouch down next to it. I use a long, skinny plastic funnel and a bungee cord to keep it in place freeing up my hands to hold the bike and add oil as needed.

·
Flavor of the Month
2,359 Posts
Synergy said:
Six Pack - $7.99 = $7.99

Total $31.99 and having the satisfaction or working on it myself and knowing its done right.

That's almost correct, it's $10.75 per six pack of New Castle here in BFE. By the way Synergy, my So-Cal trip is on hold now until next year. Thanks for the information early, I guess I'll hit you up next year.

·
Registered
523 Posts
What you paid sounds reasonable. Rear stand not needed, you can do it on the center stand, but you'll need a few basic tools to get the job done. You can find a basic change procedure, including the tools needed at:
http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/st2_owners/files/. It usually takes me about a half-hour to do the change. As noted by chuckracer, you kind have to sneak up on the proper amount of oil. I've found that if I get it to just barely even with the lower line, I'm real close. Stupid oil seems to expand and shows more after I start it up. I've never actually been able to put in as much as it will supposedly hold. And, while I don't wish to start another oil thread, be sure you use oil designed for bikes with wet clutches to avoid possible problems with the wet clutch in your '05 ST3. Even though it costs about $8/quart, I settled on the Mobil MX4T, available at my local Autozone. I change it about every 4,000 miles. Happy wrenching!!!
Bill W.

·
Registered
27 Posts
When I was wrenching/parts at RK BMW, Ducati,Triumph in '84 we were charging 45 for labor. It later in the year to 50. We did not charge more if the customer 'supervised'.

Maxwell

·
Registered
1,845 Posts
Synergy said:
Six Pack - $7.99 = $7.99

Synergy provided the correct answer. C'mon, $92 to change the frickin oil?
Are we nuts???
$12 for a Duc filter plus your oil of choice for what, $5-6 bucks per quart?

·
Registered
179 Posts
Well, I just put my bike in Eximport two weeks ago. Replace chain, sprockets and an oil change. No sprockets, bike is still there and after a couple of weeks, I'm just wondering why I'm being so lazy, or avoiding Houston heat. I mean, they don't even stock sprockets? Damn. After all, I can go down the road and get parts for my KTM easy. I think I will be keeping the BMW.

·
Registered
3,393 Posts
I'm shocked that you are even surprised !

What is your frame of reference ? What is your previous experience ?

( I can't believe that labor and oil are cheaper at a brand X store.)

AirForceDucatiGuy said:
Hey Ducati lovers

I just got back from having the oil changed on my 2005 ST3. It's the first time I've had it in the shop since I bought it 3 months ago. I've always heard that maintenance costs on a Duc are on the high side, but is paying $92.17 for an oil change excessive?

Oil...$8.50 per quart X 4 quarts = $34.00
Filter = $15.00
Washer = $2.50
Shop supplies = $6.00
Labor = $30.00

For a grand total...after taxes...$92.17

Did I get taken to the cleaners? Or is this about standard price for an oil change?

1 - 20 of 42 Posts