Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All.

Can anyone advise if a standard set of crankcases from a 916 1996,
will fit my 916sp3, if I bore out the cylinder spigot (hole) to the same diameter as the SP cases, or are there other differences to consider.
Thanks in advance.

John B

·
Registered
241 Posts
Why not.....

If your case is cracked then they are knackered. No more "like kind" can be had as they more than likely where sand casted cases. Also it might be time for new bearings and a crank balancing job!

Measure stud spacing and the spigot size and try to match something up. Then check with some of the local vendors who deal in used cases. "Gotham" comes to mind.

Boring the spigot holes can be done just watch your stud spacing.

She'll run again.

·
Premium Member
112 Posts
IMO no. I had 2 SP's. An 1994 SP 1 and a 1997 SP 3. I think the stud spacing is incompatable but the experts will be along soon 'cos I only ride them.
Nice machine, and one of the fastest Duc's ever produced.

·
Registered
1,802 Posts
The SP's had sand cast cases, and there are different oil galleries, (and not gallies) than standard cases.

You might try fast By Ferraci in the US. If nothing else they can probably explain the differences better than I can, which is very little.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the Help,

Seems the cases can be purchased from Ducati Kaemna, they have the new type crank housing for the 916-955 in stock,
The cam belt axle bearing is differant ,all other fits directly, was there response,
So I may go that way, I owe this bike way more than money, its been a rocket ship for the last 10 years with 0 break-downs, well until the back straight at Snetterton in the Uk last week.
Again thanks for the help, great site,

john b

1 - 5 of 5 Posts