Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Question for the learned -

What makes a 1998 916S1 special?

I have done a bit of scratching around and haven't seen anything yet.

·
Registered
572 Posts
Basically, the 916S is a 916 strada with SP motor. I know these bikes exist, being made at Bologna but i'm not sure it was in 1998.
Does the head have the "desmo 4V'' marks? If not, so they are REAL sp heads.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the quick response. I am trying to help a friend out. He has been offered a bike that is described as a 1998 916S1. I have owned Ducs since 1975 and am not familiar with that exact nomenclature. Hence my question.

The bike is being represented as being one of 300 imported into the US. I cannot inspect the bike myself so I am passing this info on.

·
Registered
572 Posts
Slight update to what i've previously said:

It is known that an SBK called 916S has been sold by ducati in late 90's. BUT, 916S1 could also be the factory name of 916 strada (ZDM916S1xxxxxx).
So, the trick is in the heads: Heads without "DOHC 4V" are SP heads.

UPDATE BIS:

In fact, the 916 S1 would be the very first 916, produced in late 1993.
This bike is monoposto. I'd tend to think it has a P8 ecu and engine bits that make it closer to the SP than a regular 916 Strada Biposto.

·
Super Moderator
8,248 Posts
I´ve never heard of a 916S1 and i´ve been heavily into superbikes since i got my first Duc. All I´ve ever owned have been SP or SPS models, so those are the ones i know most about.

If its indeed a very early 916, then the P8 will definatly be used and its going to be a Monoposte. SP and SPS heads say 4v DOHC if those are used..

But since you say it´s a 1998 916S1 Special, could it be an imported SPS? Those have the 996cc engine and can be recognized by the 4v DOHC heads and P8 ECU aswell as some other easily replaced ods and ends.

But to be truthful.. I´ve never heard of any other "special" except the SPS in -98..

//amullo

1 - 8 of 8 Posts