Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can anyone tell me what are the differences between the 3? Performance and cosmetics?

Also, what to look out for when getting one of these...

Thanks in advance!!

·
Registered
8,545 Posts
The most significant difference, IMHO, is that the 998 has the Testastretta motor (and all that means) and has not had any of the flaking rockers issues. I believe the last year of the 996R had the Testastretta as well. In general, from 916 to 998 they just kept getting better, and thus, the 998 is The One.

bruce19

·
Registered
39 Posts
That's a long list! If you could be more specific as to your needs/use of the motorcycle. Like Maybe you are looking for your first Ducati for say, track days? Or you are going to add an italian bike to your Motorcycle collection.

For starters all three bikes have different displacement engines, secondly the 916, 996, 998 describes the evolution of the modern Ducati SBK, with the 916 being

A. The most dated!
B. A desirable collectors bike
C. Could be troublesome from a reliability standpoint.
(see A.)
D. The best track bike out of the 3 (not racebike)

In 1999 the Ducati 916 evolved into the 996 following in the footsteps of its racing heritage. The new bike retained the majority of it's predecessors "style" and bodywork but recieved a detuned version of the engine the WSBK racers had been running since 1996

In the year 2002 the 996 became the 998 with radically different cylinder heads, injectors and CPU, making the new engine known as the testastretta. The pevious being the Desmoquattro.

·
Premium Member
8,730 Posts
All of the above.

95 916 pretty much escaped the rocker issues that plagued post 95 916s to 01 996s. However, they can be fixed with megacycle rockers, a little bit of a pain but then your done. Other issues is the flywheel nut backing out, cush drives backing out and poor 2 phase electrical. These items can be fixed too. The 996 has nice grunt to its power and I think it would make a better bike if you want more power. 916 is OK, but you must gear lower and do some other things to make it go faster. 998 is the bomb, but your looking at a lot more dough. Speaking of money, I just saw a very nice 996 for sale for $7,200. My suggestion, buy a 600 for a track bike and move on.

·
Registered
11 Posts
werent the motors in the 96 and 97 916 superbikes 996? I though it took then a couple of years to change the modle name to reflect the right size motor

L

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks from over here with a 1996 916. New to Ducati, and the forum, so it's good to get short versions of how it all shakes out.
BTW Anyone know the difference between 60 deg. and 90 deg? About 30 deg, but they both sound really good! When both are fired, and doing the idle thing there in my garage... I'd swear I hear 'harmony', or maybe a mating ritutal.

"95 916 pretty much escaped the rocker issues that plagued post 95 916s to 01 996s. However, they can be fixed with megacycle rockers, a little bit of a pain but then your done. Other issues is the flywheel nut backing out, cush drives backing out and poor 2 phase electrical. These items can be fixed too."
John, could you go into a little detail on these items? I sure would like to sort them out.

Thanks,

·
Premium Member
1,163 Posts
Skullyrocketman said:
For starters all three bikes have different displacement engines, secondly the 916, 996, 998 describes the evolution of the modern Ducati SBK, with the 916 being

D. The best track bike out of the 3 (not racebike)
Why do you say that?

Tony

1 - 7 of 7 Posts