Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Are there chassis differences between these early 9xx bikes? I am looking to do a project build off of this chassis/body design and I wanted to be sure I understood why these may be different in case it mattered to my plans.

What I hope to build is a 1100 air-cooled track bike, so I am looking for a rolling chassis mainly to build this off of.

·
Premium Member
5,151 Posts
The only differences were around the airbox/throttle body area due to different frame bracing. Steering geometry is the same and rear suspension is the same. Some 748’s didn’t have the adjustable steering angle insert therefore the steering geometry is fixed.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The only differences were around the airbox/throttle body area due to different frame bracing. Steering geometry is the same and rear suspension is the same. Some 748’s didn’t have the adjustable steering angle insert therefore the steering geometry is fixed.
Thank you for the reply, that is what I was hoping to hear.

·
Registered
449 Posts
Air-cooled cases have a different swingarm attachment; the SSSA from a superbike will not fit without mods.

·
Registered
867 Posts
The DS 1000/1100 engine will fit in the 748/99X frame and the engine bolt holes are also a match... but
the swing arm is a different situation. You will have to machine the cases if you are using a single sided swing arm or add some frame brackets to adapt double sided swinger. Maybe a swing arm from a monster would work?

·
Registered
867 Posts
To the best of my knowledge the DS engine was used in single and double sided swing arm applications.
The Sport Classic had both , the GT did not
Attached is a pic of a DS aircooled engine installed in an 848 frame with the dbl sided swing arm.

The 996/916/748 engines are machined down at the pivot on the left side for chain alignment.
I can't say with any certainty if the DS engine cases were machined or not for the SSSA applications

Attachments

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the follow up on this chassis. I am familiar with the work needed for the various 1100 motors to work in this chassis with the SSSA. I have a friend that built one using the 848 platform.
I prefer the looks/handling on the 916 style so hopefully I can find a rolling setup to build off of.

·
Registered
2,050 Posts
You can use a Monster S2R swingarm if you want to retain the SSS with 2V cases. 2V support the swingarm pivot with bearings in the crankcases, 916-998 do not.

Aside from that your main issue is finding a way to route the intakes past the cross brace in a Superbike frame. The engine will bolt straight in but you won't have clearance for the intake/throttles.

It can and has been done it's just not 100% Lego with zero effort.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts