Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently bought a 1198 swingarm and an old magnesium Marchesini 16.5" wheel for my project. The guy sold me the wheel used it on his 916 (small axle family) but said this had a big center spoke. So presumably it will fit 916 family with some sort of adaptor (according to him). I was then concluded myself it should fit on 1198 swingarm with no problem (as it has big center hole) but I apparently didn't see this coming. The pin distance (pitch circle diameter) on the 1198 arm is 10.5cm (rought measurment by me) and on the wheel is 8.5cm (again, roughtly).

Diggin a bit deeper to find that the wheel is probably from Honda RC30 RC45 model (according to some internet sources). I have an NC30 arm laying around so will do some measurement tomorrow.

1. Can anyone confirm the pin distance (pcd) on the small axle? Are they 8.5cm (roughly)?

2. Are these axle interchangeable i.e. 1198 arm w/ set of small axle components?

3. Good place to buy 16.5" tires? lol

Cheers,

·
Registered
1,213 Posts
You're going to have some trouble with this.....

The eccentric and shaft are different between the 5 cush system and the larger 6 cush system, you can't swap them into either axle/swingarm.

16.5" wheels are odd, sure they were on race bikes but the only road bike i know of that used it was the Desmosedici, so that means if you want a street tyre you're stuck with the Bridgestone, race tyres i don't know, but i don't think there is much demand anymore so they may be hard to find.

Not sure what your wheel is actually off but I can say with confidence it's not an RC-30, they had a strange (read endurance) set up from std, an 18x5.5 and a 17x3.0 which most swapped for the accepted norm of 17x5.5 or 6.0 and 17x3.5, by Marvic, Marchesini and Dymag mainly and they were mostly magnesium race wheels but IIRC my RC PCD was larger at 100mm

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
You're going to have some trouble with this.....

The eccentric and shaft are different between the 5 cush system and the larger 6 cush system, you can't swap them into either axle/swingarm.

16.5" wheels are odd, sure they were on race bikes but the only road bike i know of that used it was the Desmosedici, so that means if you want a street tyre you're stuck with the Bridgestone, race tyres i don't know, but i don't think there is much demand anymore so they may be hard to find.

Not sure what your wheel is actually off but I can say with confidence it's not an RC-30, they had a strange (read endurance) set up from std, an 18x5.5 and a 17x3.0 which most swapped for the accepted norm of 17x5.5 or 6.0 and 17x3.5, by Marvic, Marchesini and Dymag mainly and they were mostly magnesium race wheels but IIRC my RC PCD was larger at 100mm
Cheers mate. What I mean is that I have to change the whole hub with it's components. Now not so sure about 916 family as NAMO said but 848 looks promising you think?

I'm ok with the track tires. Non DOT approve. Not so sure about the future when even motogp has switched to 17" lol.

I have my measurements today on the NC30 wheel. The pin spacing (pcd) is about 8.5cm roughly but center hole has a different system. It has a flush type not the big taper one. I didn't mean this is the original equipment from the manufacturer (Honda) but instead should be an aftermarket race equipment for them. It measures 6.25" from outside rim to rim.

3). Still need someone to confirm 916/848 have the pin spacing (pcd) of 8.5cm?

·
Registered
3,950 Posts
Looked into this again today and found 848 uses the same swingarm as 1198. Should I say 848 hub set would be more luck? =)
The 848 will work. Make sure the part numbers for the 848 and XX98 swing arm are the same. I believe that they are, but double check.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts