Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
720 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i allready tried to search, found a few post but only brought up more questions. from what i have found out the strada uses the p8 computer and the strada engine has the words "desmo 4v" on the top of the heads. forgive my ignorance but i have no idea what a p8 computer looks like vs other ducati computers, and my engine has "4v DOHC" on the heads, not desmo 4v. soo confused!!! anyway, its a 98 916 mono, red with white number plates on the tail that say "ducati 916" and has an ohlins rear shock. does anyone know if it is a strada or sp? thanks for the help.

·
Registered
603 Posts
The P8 is about 6" square and about 1" thick. The 1.6 is about 61/2" x 4" and about 1 3/4 thick, should say IAW 16M whereas the P8 will say P8

The 98 strada had a 1.6. Only the 94(perhaps some 95's?) strada and the 94-96 SP had the P8. And the SPS had the P8

BTW, the ECU on a 916 is in the tail section, aluminum colored, you will have to remove the tail fairing. If it is a 98' and came originally with a P8 it is neither a strada or an SP, it is a SPS and the engine is actually a 996.

·
Premium Member
8,762 Posts
I have a P8 in my 95 916. I overheard a mechanic say positive things about the "big brain" computer when I had it in for a check up after I bought it. My computer also had in marker pen "USA" on the top of it. There was a 97 916 next to it and its computor was tiny by comparison. I heard the P8 was more flexible (whatever that means) while the later smaller computer was made to fit all the models, more universal. Mine also has "4v DOHC" on the heads.

My question is did Ducati build a 916 and a 916S?

·
Registered
603 Posts
John said:
I have a P8 in my 95 916. I overheard a mechanic say positive things about the "big brain" computer when I had it in for a check up after I bought it. My computer also had in marker pen "USA" on the top of it. There was a 97 916 next to it and its computor was tiny by comparison. I heard the P8 was more flexible (whatever that means) while the later smaller computer was made to fit all the models, more universal. Mine also has "4v DOHC" on the heads.

My question is did Ducati build a 916 and a 916S?
Not to my knowledge.

·
Registered
16,908 Posts
My 95 916SP does not have anything on the heads. It is smooth. It has the larger p8 computer as well but it says 916SP on it.

·
Registered
5,171 Posts
My '98 916 has 'Desmo 4V DOHC' on the horizontal head.

But I'm certain I read somewhere that SP, SPS, R etc models don't have any writing on the head because the heads have been 'slimmed' down to give more clearance for the front wheel, which can touch the cylinder under extreme braking if the front end is lowered as per race geometry?

·
Registered
386 Posts
jamesmorgan said:
i allready tried to search, found a few post but only brought up more questions. from what i have found out the strada uses the p8 computer and the strada engine has the words "desmo 4v" on the top of the heads. forgive my ignorance but i have no idea what a p8 computer looks like vs other ducati computers, and my engine has "4v DOHC" on the heads, not desmo 4v. soo confused!!! anyway, its a 98 916 mono, red with white number plates on the tail that say "ducati 916" and has an ohlins rear shock. does anyone know if it is a strada or sp? thanks for the help.
James,

All early 916 Bikes had the P8 CPU (both Strada and SP) from your question, you're trying to determine what model you have. Personally I'd not worry about the CPU for identification.

Physically, the 916SP should have the cast iron full floating fron brake discs, a carbon front guard (fender), a carbon airbox, Termingoni exhaust, Ohlins rear suspension, and Showa special front forks, plus there should be a plate on the triple clamp designating that it is an SP.

Unfortunatley during this time (mid 90's) Ducati's financial state was so dire that not all SP's gained the carbon parts, likewise I've also heard of SP's missing out on the brakes and Stradas being fitted with them (at the factory). The reality is that Ducati used whatever parts they had available at the time just to get the bikes crated and shipped, so for the distibuters the final specification tended to be a lottery.

Further adding to the confusion many owners have also have dressed up Strada's.

More difficult to ID and a more reliable indicator is the number of fuel injectors. Only SP's have two fuel injectors per throttle body, they are pretty obvious if you know what a fuel injector looks like. Finally the rear subframe is aluminium (as are all Mono-posto bikes i.e. all early 916's).

Another indicator of dressed-up bike is on the tail piece there is a gold stripe separating the white and red colours. Plus early 916 series bikes (Strada and SP) had the words "Campione Del Mundo" (or similar, I don't remember exactly) on the tail piece. If the white race plate is added at a later date, then it is likely to be missing the transfer. (PS no 916 SP was fitted with a number within the race plate only the earlier 888 SP's had this feature)

In short identifying an original 916 SP today is going to be difficult, for me the most reliable indicator will be the Dual Fuel injectors and a VIN check from Ducati.

Andrew...

·
Registered
2,050 Posts
Allow me to simplify this:

If it has any lettering on the horizontal cylinder head, its a standard Strada or Biposto.

If it has no lettering, it is an SP.

The SP also has about 15-20 more horsepower than a standard 916, so its hard to mistake an SP for a base 916.

For really detailed info on the differences, read Ian Falloon's "Ducati Desmoquattro Superbikes".

·
Registered
3,977 Posts
as stated, the sp heads had the roof above the exhaust port lowered for front wheel clearance. they use the small exhaust rocker cover that was made std on the 996.

the 916sp allegedly has 20 more hp. in reality it has maybe 3 or 4 and a midrange hole. it has 1mm bigger valves, g inlet and a exhaust cam, lighter crank and pankl steel rods. kind of fun when they come on.

ecu wise, the first 916 was called 916 strada and was single seat only. it was released in euro spec (which we first got in september '94 from memory) with the p8 ecu. when the 916 biposto (dual seat) was released, which we first got in '95 sometime, it had the 1.6m ecu. the 1.6m is a more capable ecu than p8 with more stuff internal than external, but ducati didn't use any more of it than they did of the p8. the p8 uses 2 pickups - crank and timing gear - whereas the 1.6m uses one pickup on the timing gear.

lots of the 916sp i've seen have a green dot on the lh top rear of the cases, plus the cases are usually not painted. the sp were very hard to get when they first came out and expensive, but when tpg took over they changed that, meaning the next version of the top model - 996cc 916/996sps - was limited to how many they could sell pretty much.

·
Premium Member
8,762 Posts
This is like reading bike geneology. Very interesting. I'll bet there are some out there (including myself) that secretly wished they were riding around on a special category bike, instead of just the standard model. Apparently Ducati had all kinds of different variations back then and more importantly Ducati didn't always go by the rules in outfitting them as Andrew said. I've heard this regarding which shock they installed at that particular moment during production; the rule was they installed whatever was available on the shelf. So, it was like enie minie mighty mo, something like that.

I knew my 916 wasn't special because it just didn't have the grunt I would expect from a beefed up version. It just felt like the stock HP rating.

We all know the 916 was first released in Europe in 94, right? Bradblack indicated a Euro spec 916 Strada was released in Sept 94, does that mean a Euro spec Ducati with metric gauges were released to us or is there another difinition of Euro spec? I heard the first 916s produced were bi-posto and they were released only in Europe in 94 and they were registered as 1994 models. The mono-posto was first released in the USA and were registered as 1995 models. Can someone clarify?

·
Registered
386 Posts
John and others,

Here in Australia (and elsewhere for that matter) the original 916 was a Mono-posto the Biposto wasn't released until later (maybe a year or so).

Getting slightly off topic there is one mythic special 916 SP to look for, the one with the factory fitted 955cc engine. Reputedly a few were sold in North America only, I remember seeing pictures of one in "Fast Bikes" magazine in 1994 or 1995. I must dig out that magazine as I believe it was a road bike (i.e. lights etc, not necessarily road legal though), subsequently I've only ever seen a couple of references to a race spec "955cc Foggy Replica" that didn't include road gear (as far as I can tell).

Maybe someone here can shed some light on this...

Andrew...

·
Registered
5,171 Posts
According to Ian Fallon's book, there were only 50 916SP with the 955cc engine manufactured in 1996 to Homologate the 955 Corsa for racing in the USA.

:)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts