Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello.
Just my tiny 916 strada.
An 916s, very low chassis number, not S1 not S2, i dunno why (?)
It is the first time that i see a 916s, so i bought her.

2and owner. First register in belgium, in februar 1994. Got the original certificate from the dealer at the time.

Need some special treatment this diva. But what a gorgeous bike.

Cheers

·
Registered
3,951 Posts
Nice machine, and as the inmates from down under like to say, "good on ya."

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you!

Not perfect but soon i will upgrade her with an ohlins DU143, Termis 45mm, and some NCR parts.

Someone got an idea why the frame is not S1 S2 but just S. Is this some kind of the pre SP era ? All around i ve got all the elephantino elements, how to know if the carbon bits (bought likje that) where installed at the factory?

·
Registered
1,221 Posts
Nice bike!
VERY collectible now and appreciating rapidly, at least in my neck of the woods they are. Single seat 94 stradas are pretty scarce.

No way of knowing if the carbon bits were installed from new, doubtful though, the 916SP was "supposed" to have a C/F airbox when delivered but because of financial difficulties some did some didn't so i doubt the regular strada would have been lavished with extras, anything is possible though. Your Front rotors are Brembo iron reproductions so they're not original, the V piece and front guard probably aren't either but hey after 24 years it's still a stunner and pretty easy to revert back to std if you want to. The Cagiva logos on everything is correct, i _think_ the frame is marked as an S because it's a solo seat strada, could be wrong though.

Nice find, look after her.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Nice bike!
i _think_ the frame is marked as an S because it's a solo seat strada, could be wrong though.
Sure but when i was searchin for a strada, a previous one 916 that i have some interest, was also monoposto, P8 and alu rear frame but S1, but first immatriculation October 94 :confused:

·
Premium Member
5,204 Posts
The early carbon fiber often looked like this after a while so I would expect if it did not come on the bike it was added in that time period. Stradas did not come in the USA with the iron rotors but were also a common upgrade as the race bikes ran them. I am not sure why those are not thought to be Brembos they look it to me from those pictures, what am I missing?

It is also common to have the heat shield mounts break off the mid pipes, either get new ones welded on or pick up a good used mid pipe last I knew they were still plentiful and cheap.

Nice Bike !

·
Premium Member
5,737 Posts
Hello.
Just my tiny 916 strada.
An 916s, very low chassis number, not S1 not S2, i dunno why (?)
It is the first time that i see a 916s, so i bought her.

2and owner. First register in belgium, in februar 1994. Got the original certificate from the dealer at the time.

Need some special treatment this diva. But what a gorgeous bike.

Cheers
Gorgeous!

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
The early carbon fiber often looked like this after a while so I would expect if it did not come on the bike it was added in that time period.
Sure it is the reason, with the old cf, that i will not tend to spay it in red. It is a very nice patina :)

Stradas did not come in the USA with the iron rotors but were also a common upgrade as the race bikes ran them. I am not sure why those are not thought to be Brembos they look it to me from those pictures, what am I missing?
Nice to read you. And for the era, does it corresponds? Like you kno today, anything is copied, unfortunatly...

It is also common to have the heat shield mounts break off the mid pipes, either get new ones welded on or pick up a good used mid pipe last I knew they were still plentiful and cheap.
Already got a used mid pipe. Thinking about to polish all the line, Termis included :think:

·
Premium Member
5,204 Posts
Yes the iron rotors are period correct so those are what I would want on a ducati up until they stopped using iron rotors in late 90's early 2000ish. What makes you think they are fakes? Just curious as I want to know what I am buying as well.

The vintage carbon can be freshened if you find someone that has proven capable, I have seen it done both good and bad.

24 years old and I still struggle to find a better design. Yes they can make faster and lighter bikes with performance increases all the time but show this bike to a non-biker and they will appreciate the beauty. Some designs are just timeless.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
24 years old and I still struggle to find a better design. Yes they can make faster and lighter bikes with performance increases all the time but show this bike to a non-biker and they will appreciate the beauty. Some designs are just timeless.
yes 24 years till next month ;-)
Stunning design, timeless, this is trully the interpretation of a bike must be....it would not have sense if it would not be a cagiva/ducati 916...Really the prima arte from Italy and the renaissance of their industry in late 80. You ve got dejà the 888 who is almost a stunning piece of art. The details, the macchinery, it is just incredible without IT data and 3D CAD behind...It is just human and italian stunning beauty!

ducvet: for the rotors, where to have these?

·
Registered
1,221 Posts
The early carbon fiber often looked like this after a while so I would expect if it did not come on the bike it was added in that time period. Stradas did not come in the USA with the iron rotors but were also a common upgrade as the race bikes ran them. I am not sure why those are not thought to be Brembos they look it to me from those pictures, what am I missing?

Nice Bike !
They're copies, they're made to look like the originals but the round and triangular holes are too large, nothing wrong with them, but they don't look original to me. The dead set easiest way to tell is if there is a brembo logo machined on the outside face between the bolt holes.
The rivets will have glue on the inside to stop them from falling apart as well, not sure if the repros have that.

They are definitely correct for the period, very scarce and while you can buy the friction surface from brembo the complete unit is out of production because they don't make the beautiful gold alloy carrier anymore.

·
Registered
1,221 Posts
loony888, are these genuine brembos of that era?

they look more authentic, the carrier looks more like the original with the triangle and round holes more the correct size, look for the brembo logo machined into the outside between the bolt holes, that's the easiest way to know, later discs had laser etching on the inside where they bolt to the face of the wheel, not sure the early ones did. Those ones in the pic look like they're using genuine discs so they may be made under license which is a plus.

·
Registered
1,221 Posts

Old c/f looks like that, Ducati used it for racing and they had little concern how it appeared, it was light so they used it, aftermarket carbon became much prettier and the suppliers all got better over time but some of the stuff i've seen is garbage, that includes genuine stuff. I don't remember the black lower edge on the airbox, but that doesn't mean anything, the condition is about right.
The Ohlins steering damper is a good idea, the stock one had a bad habit of rubbing through the paint on the front of the tank, yours will have done it looking at where it sits in the picture.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 · (Edited)
they look more authentic, the carrier looks more like the original with the triangle and round holes more the correct size, look for the brembo logo machined into the outside between the bolt holes, that's the easiest way to know, later discs had laser etching on the inside where they bolt to the face of the wheel, not sure the early ones did. Those ones in the pic look like they're using genuine discs so they may be made under license which is a plus.
More like these loony888?

DUCATI 996 748/916/998/ BREMBO FRONT BRAKE ROTORS DISC SET 6 BOLT PATTERN 492.4.010.1A

·
Registered
1,221 Posts
they look like a std stainless steel option, the other set with the alternating triangle/hole pattern is the iron full floating rotor, that was the std rotor for the SP and SL of the era and the common upgrade for the time, the stainless ones above are what comes on the strada as standard.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts