Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I ride an 800SS that I really enjoy, but it has two deficiencies that are making me consider an ST4: I can't bring my wife along and I can't take week-long trips on it.

I was wondering what you all thought of the difference between the ST4's with the 916 engine vs the ones with the 996 engine? I'm considering a 2000 ST4, which has the smaller engine.

Thanks,

ape

·
Registered
455 Posts
... I'm considering a 2000 ST4, which has the smaller engine... ape
Apehair, bigger is better remember? However, I wouldn't have any reservations about the smaller engine. But, I believe there were some specific issues or improvements made to the post 2000 ST4 that would be more of a concern which other, more knowledgeable members my have immediately at hand so I'll let the experts chime in here. One thought though, and hopefully I won't be banned forever is that you have the one-up Ducati so perhaps a different bike entirely. Would the wife be adverse to a Beemer GS? Good comfort for two and can handle dirt or gravel better.
Just my perspective.

·
Registered
998 Posts
I ride an 800SS that I really enjoy, but it has two deficiencies that are making me consider an ST4: I can't bring my wife along and I can't take week-long trips on it.

I was wondering what you all thought of the difference between the ST4's with the 916 engine vs the ones with the 996 engine? I'm considering a 2000 ST4, which has the smaller engine.

Thanks,

ape
If you are riding an 800SS, you could even consider an ST2. A lot less maintenance, less HP but still a lot of fun.

·
Vendor
1,586 Posts
I bought my 99 ST4 in 2003 with 7,000 miles. I now have 47,000 miles on it. I commuted on it, 2 up rides in the summer months, a long trip every year to the annual ST gathering. It has been the perfect bike for me. Absolutely no regrets at all. I tend to ride bikes to their limits and this bike has never let me down. Hours of riding in excess of 100 mph in Nevada and Eastern Oregon. Great through the twisties. Yes, the 996 motor is even better and the suspension on the newer ST4S is also superior, but the base model is still fun and will give years of grins. I replaced two rockers at 12,000 miles and thats about it. It has been very reliable. I have always liked the feel of this bike, very balanced.

Mike

·
Banned
5,879 Posts
I bought my 99 ST4 in 2003 with 7,000 miles. I now have 47,000 miles on it. I commuted on it, 2 up rides in the summer months, a long trip every year to the annual ST gathering. It has been the perfect bike for me. Absolutely no regrets at all. I tend to ride bikes to their limits and this bike has never let me down. Hours of riding in excess of 100 mph in Nevada and Eastern Oregon. Great through the twisties. Yes, the 996 motor is even better and the suspension on the newer ST4S is also superior, but the base model is still fun and will give years of grins. I replaced two rockers at 12,000 miles and thats about it. It has been very reliable. I have always liked the feel of this bike, very balanced.

Mike
wait, I thought the suspension on the ST4 earlier was adjustable and all,
the laters are not. So the early suspensions were better. ???

either way, right at 47k on mine and with the DP chip and Sli motor exhaust, I'd not trade for the 996.

·
Registered
3,393 Posts
The 4S has the adustable Ohlins, and the hardened finish forks ( titanium nitride ????)

wait, I thought the suspension on the ST4 earlier was adjustable and all,
the laters are not. So the early suspensions were better. ???

either way, right at 47k on mine and with the DP chip and Sli motor exhaust, I'd not trade for the 996.

·
Registered
2,732 Posts
I've ridden two up with no problem, I guess the size of the companion could matter. The ST4 (916) is a blast to ride, I don't know what I would do with more ponies, and I don't believe that you give up many ponies to the larger brethren. I would look at the other factors.

·
Registered
298 Posts
Apehair,

The 4s has more mid range torque which is great for blasting out of curves. Also better suspension. Some of the 4ss were fitted with a very good ABS. Later (post '03) had better seat and more protective fairing.

I suggest you search for either and settle on the best bike for the money. Insist on complete service records. Even if a dealer didn't do all the work the right owner will have kept receipts for oil, etc. If you go with a 4s demand all keys including the red key.

Jeff in Colorado
'02 ST4s

·
Banned
5,879 Posts
I've ridden two up with no problem, I guess the size of the companion could matter. The ST4 (916) is a blast to ride, I don't know what I would do with more ponies, and I don't believe that you give up many ponies to the larger brethren. I would look at the other factors.

mines been dynoed at 107 rear wheel,

are the later 4s adjustable both rebound and compression on the fronts,
The finish on the lower fork housings I like kind of plain.

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for the responses, guys.

Duc-a-tak, of all the bikes I've owned, Missus Wife's favorite ride was the pillion on a 2004 K1200RS. But I had so many problems with that bike and BMW service that I won't go back there. Besides, at the present time I only have room in my motorcycling heart for Ducati. :)

Bill, thanks for the newbies link (doh!). I posted the engine spec numbers I found for the ST4, ST3, and ST4S on that thread:.
http://www.ducati.ms/forums/showthread.php?t=15290

The rest of youse guyz, thanks for the tips. I appreciate them. Two factors are leading me toward the ST4 instead of the ST3 or the ST4s:

1. Money. Don't have a lot to play with right now.
2. Appearance. I like the older fairing, and the fact that I can swap it out for the better light package from Ducati Designs (http://www.ducatidesigns.com/products).

My only concern at this point is whether I'll miss the more aggressive riding position of the 800SS. Even though I'm having to get my neck in shape to handle it, I really enjoy it.

I also worry a little bit about losing some ground clearance, but I think I can manage that.

The long-term plan is to sell the Harley, save a few extra bucks, and get the 848 as my personal ride, then use the ST4 as our 2-up ride. I'll be putting the Harley up for sale either this winter or spring, but probably won't get the 848 till late 2010 or early 2011.

I never thought I'd ever leave Harley (been riding 'em for years), but I'm enjoying the Ducati so much I have no interest in the Harley. Other than using it as garage art. Big surprise to me.

ape

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Bought the ST4

Well, I did the deal.

Traded in my 06 800 SS for an 01 ST4 at our local dealer. My 800 SS had 5600 miles, had recently had the timing belt changed, but needed new tires. It had some cosmetic dings from the previous owner, but the paint was real shiny and the bike ran really well. I got $3750 for it from the dealer.

The ST4 had 18,000 miles, had some minor cosmetic dings, and was essentially stock except for pipes that I think were Remus, but didn't have a logo on them. I don't know my sportbike pipes by sound yet, but these were fat cans, stainless steel (I think), and sounded deep and throaty. The dealer was unable to verify whether the previous owner tuned the ECM to compensate for the higher flow, but the bike ran so well that either the ECM was flashed or, as is the case with Harleys, unless you open the air cleaner along with the pipes, you don't need to retune the ECM.

Do you guys know how I would be able to tell by examining the bike?

Anyway, I paid $5,500 for the ST1.

For about 30 seconds I thought about getting this
gem on Ebay, but I didn't have the coin.

So far I only have first impressions from riding the bike for about 15 minutes, but here's what I noted:

1. The 916 4-valve engine produces so many wonderful sounds I could swear it was designed by Paganini. When mated with a dry clutch, wow. I was in heaven just idling. (My 800SS has a wet clutch, so this was new to me.)

2. The riding position, which I thought might be too Catholic-school sit-up-straight, was actually just right. Not as aggressive as the 800SS, but aggressive enough. I was ready to hang off, shift weight, whatever, without paying a big penalty on comfort.

3. The windshield was just right. It blocked plenty of the cold Colorado wind, while giving me enough upper body support at speed to keep me relaxed.

4. Power was definitely better than the 800, but not as much as I expected it to be. Probably due to the extra 60 lbs or so. And the altitude. No complaints, though.

5. I didn't get a chance to test handling, other than weaving along the road a bit.

6. Missus Wife rode pillion around the parking lot and liked the riding position. She said it felt like it did on the K1200RS, but the tank was skinnier, so she's going to have to figure out where to put her hands. LOL.

7. We might have a problem fitting both our feet on those closely spaced footpegs, but we'll figure it out.

8. A much bigger problem will be what to name this beast. I always give my bikes girl's names, but she decided she wanted to name this one Bruno on account of the "nasty" exhaust. Not sure how I feel about riding a bike named Bruno. Alberto, maybe? LOL.

Again, thanks for your help. Will have many more questions and observations down the line.

ape

·
Still needs a life.
12,414 Posts
My son has ridden two up with me on all of my ST bikes (01-ST4, 02-ST4s, 04-ST4s). I recommend you install a heavier rear spring if you and your wife will be riding two up frequently. A topcase makes a very good sissy bar for the passsenger, especially when you accelerate.

·
Registered
2,549 Posts
ape,

I to own an 01 st4, nice choice it is a sweet bike. As for the ECM it is under the seat if you want to look for it. Pull the seat and you will see a silver box with a round rubber plug on top and some tape/seal or sticker over it. Under the plug is your ECM chip. If the tape from the Ducati factory looks undisturbed then most likely it has not been fiddled with. If the seal has been broken someone has been in there. You can pull the tape and have a look under the plug to see. If it is a DP chip it will have a sticker on it that tells you this. You might also want to look and see what kind of air cleaner you are running. I would suggest a K&N or something similiar if it has an exhaust. I actually added a hole in the top of the airbox for a little more breathing. Goodluck and have fun with her and you for sure have to give it a female name, its not right naming your mistress after a man.......:D

·
Banned
5,879 Posts
Congrats, oh yea sounds like you got some Ferracci cans.

Do they look like these?

I was told these were Ferracci cans when I bought the bike, the left one got scraped a bit in the deer attack so I replaced them with the Sil Motors

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Rocking-M,

No, the pipes are not the same as yours. They look exactly like the Leo Vince pipes I've seen on the web....same shape, same fasteners, but no logo. Maybe he didn't want the logo on the pipes and polished it off?

ape

1 - 17 of 17 Posts