Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm planning to buy a "new" duc. This time a SPS. And the question is:

Should I go for the 1997 916 sps or the 2000 996 SPS??
The 916 is a bit cheaper, but it doesn't have the öhlins forks and the 5-spoke light wheels though.

Please give me your opinions and reasons!

I need to now alot of facts about both bikes :)

·
Mayor of Simpleton
4,875 Posts
Someone else will be the authority on specs. I do know that there are big differences in what constituted an SPS from year to year.

I think the '98 model is one of the better ones. Called a 9196SPS, but its displacement is 996cc. It also has Ti con rods and such, which I believe some later ones lack. Again, I'm sure someone can provide better details.

When I had my '95 916, I always wanted an old 955cc SPS. I have a 748 now. Its certainly not the collectable that any SPS is, but with all I've done to it and after the 853 kit and big valve heads this winter, I'm sure it will more than satisfy me.

·
Registered
263 Posts
I'd buy the one that is in the best-maintained condition. Any differences are going to be marginal in reality.

I'd really be shooting for something that has the 3-phase charging system (post-'02 IIRC). The 2-phase bikes are getting fussy.

·
Super Moderator
8,211 Posts
The -97 916SPS is also a 996cc SPS engine, but it did not get the titanium rods, those came on in -98.

I´d go for the 996SPS, since it´s the last year "true" SPS and had all the good bits like forks and stuff.

//amullo

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Allright! Thanks for the input, guys!;)

Well, I'll have to go and check them out then. I think both of them are in exellent condition though. But I do want the 996 more than the 916, even though I feel the 916 is more like the "real ducati"!

I've owned two 916 before. One '98 biposto and one '97 Senna. This time I want a a 996cc bike. I feel it's time to do a cc-upgrade. I do not like my 749s that much. Never bin happy with it really. :confused:

Anyway, Im really looking forward getting back on a 916-style ducati. They've allways bin my favorite bike. Not just to look at, but to ride aswell! :)

Cheers

·
Registered
40 Posts
916 SPS all the way

I am biased...I have a 1998 916SPS. I think it is a perfect blend...996 motor with ti-con rods (only year done), the original 3 spoke wheels, 916 badging much better than in 1997 badging. It was the final year of the last original 916 SPS.

I am considering moving to a 2002 998R...found the perfect one for sale this week. If you are serious about a perfect 916SPS, let me know. It is one of the last unmolested 98 916SPS left.

Drop me an email at [email protected] if you want pics and specs.

·
Registered
797 Posts
Records

All I will say is records records records.....

History plays such an important thing with these machines, was it raced? was it used for track days? when was the last time it was opened up? rockers? When opened what was replaced? Ti-rods have very expensive bolts, and should be changed. If ANY racing was in their past, I would talk with the engine builder first!!!!!!!!!!

Many people that raced SPS machines tossed the Ti rods for Carillo rods, safer, stronger..........

Best of Luck
M

·
Registered
3,977 Posts
i've had '97 and '98 models apart and neither had ti rods. afaik they came with '99 onward models. the '97 has the old 916 style decals, which some people like. they're also rarer. by '00 the sps was limited to how many they could sell. earlier ones had cast iron front rotors, later ones the 996 style.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Sps Yoy

According to the 'standard catalogue of Ducati' by Ian Falloon, the difference between 97 and 98 were as follows:

slightly stiffer and lighter frame, then significantly lighter in 99
ti-con rods
newer style graphics
ohlins steering dampener

otherwise unchanged.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts