Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
HI GUYS..

Need some help please.......
Have searched the net low and high for specs on the 916 SP3...

Can't find nothing.........HELP...looking at one.......wann know what It is
has 7000ks looks OK....??? :confused: :confused: :confused:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
602 Posts
PYALONG said:
HI GUYS..

Need some help please.......
Have searched the net low and high for specs on the 916 SP3...

Can't find nothing.........HELP...looking at one.......wann know what It is
has 7000ks looks OK....??? :confused: :confused: :confused:
Are you sure it's a 916? There is an 851/888 SP3, don't know about a 916 SP3.? What year is the bike?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
marvin said:
Are you sure it's a 916? There is an 851/888 SP3, don't know about a 916 SP3.? What year is the bike?
Yes ...it's a 916...was advertised as a SPS but has the SP3 Plate
on top Triple Clamp.....

think it's 96....(forgot to ask)

I'll be buggered ...can't find nothing on the net...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,049 Posts
That would be an SP model (SPS came in 97), dunno where the '3' came from. Could be a fake...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
vtwin said:
In Ian Falloon ducati 916-book, it states, that the SP3 was a '96 bike, with a plaque on the triple tree, 497 were made. (like can also be seen from the ebay-ad.)

It's basically a follow up to 1995 916 SP, with less carbonfiber, new crankcases (no kickstartboss).
What do you think.......worth a look...?....7000ks looks clean..
was the SP a goer.....

Just don't know enough about Ducs
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
799 Posts
Well, the SP's were always a bit 'better' than the plain models, can't say much more. Keep in mind, it's over 10 years old..

Does the price reflect the normal pricerange of the plain 916's + something for the 'exclusivity' of being an SP? How's the maintenance? what's been done and what's not?

If your not familiar with ducs, have someone take a look at it. or maybe take it to a shop to have it looked over. There are at least a few things to look for, mainly the rockers, voltage regulator wiring, rear sprocket carrier + bushing etc. These are the things I've picked from here and from speedzilla..

Those who know more, can continue.

/edit: attachment, found from some forum (probably here, in the hall of wisdom.. :) )
 

Attachments

·
Registered
Joined
·
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanx Vtwin........................am reading everything I can get my hands on.

I have put a deposit on a Ten98 s but I missed the first bunch and am doomed to wait till December for the next bunch....
so when I saw the SP3........would c me through till then and been meaning to get a 916 for years before all the clean ones disapear......

But would love to c the specs/bits sheet before I make a decision......
but from what I hear/read on the forums it could be an expensive mistake......
 

·
Super Moderator
Joined
·
8,185 Posts
The SP3 is actually a very nice bike, a friend of mine has one.

As i recall, the 916 SP3 where actually -96 bikes that where rebadged SP´s and sold as late 96 and early 97 models, with the 916sps (996cc) coming in late 1997.

Don´t be fooled by someone talking about 955cc´s. The SP3 where only sold as 916cc

Advertised as having over 130 hp, it has A/G cams and slightly higher compression then the stock 916. Lighter flywheel and Pankl rods (instead of the stock forged ones).

//amullo
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
375 Posts
Good for the track but not for anything else - all top end performance.

Maybe the odd one made it's way to other parts of the world but they were all sold in Europe.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
358 Posts
Neil996R said:
Good for the track but not for anything else - all top end performance.

Maybe the odd one made it's way to other parts of the world but they were all sold in Europe.
The 916SP3 is the last 916 engined SP that was made. The 919SPS was initially sold alongside the 916SP3, then eventually replaced it (probably when the last unsold 916SP3 models left the show rooms).

Here in Australia they were available and I've sighted several through the years, they were also the fist 916SP that were sold (in Australia) with an optional road registration kit (I also know of a few earlier 916SP models that were privately converted to road use).

Mechanically they are a bit of a mystery as they come from the darkest times of Ducati (just prior to the sale to TGP) and as a result very few were ever tested or even specs made available.

Ducati's of this era were very variable in specification, literally being built with the parts available at the time. At minimum there should be an Ohlins rear shock and uprated Showa forks and the SP3 plate on the head-stock, a lack of carbon, no cast iron brakes etc do not necessarily discount it as an SP. As an 916SP it should have a very top-end orientated power delivery (they don't loose out to the regular models in lower ranges though). They will also struggle to idle and behave smoothly at lower revs.

As a result they can feel more lively than the later 996SPS (with its more relaxed power delivery and general good manners) however this is a fallacy the 916SPS will easily out perform any 916 engines bike.

Here in Australia the 916SP3 was predominantly available in 1996 and was still listed in 1997.

Andrew...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Andrew said:
The 916SP3 is the last 916 engined SP that was made. The 919SPS was initially sold alongside the 916SP3, then eventually replaced it (probably when the last unsold 916SP3 models left the show rooms).

Here in Australia they were available and I've sighted several through the years, they were also the fist 916SP that were sold (in Australia) with an optional road registration kit (I also know of a few earlier 916SP models that were privately converted to road use).

Mechanically they are a bit of a mystery as they come from the darkest times of Ducati (just prior to the sale to TGP) and as a result very few were ever tested or even specs made available.

Ducati's of this era were very variable in specification, literally being built with the parts available at the time. At minimum there should be an Ohlins rear shock and uprated Showa forks and the SP3 plate on the head-stock, a lack of carbon, no cast iron brakes etc do not necessarily discount it as an SP. As an 916SP it should have a very top-end orientated power delivery (they don't loose out to the regular models in lower ranges though). They will also struggle to idle and behave smoothly at lower revs.

As a result they can feel more lively than the later 996SPS (with its more relaxed power delivery and general good manners) however this is a fallacy the 916SPS will easily out perform any 916 engines bike.

Here in Australia the 916SP3 was predominantly available in 1996 and was still listed in 1997.

Andrew...
Thank you Andrew....As you say the Specs are a bit of a mystery and can from the sounds of it can vary .........but where/how can I get more detailed specs.......
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
358 Posts
PYALONG said:
Thank you Andrew....As you say the Specs are a bit of a mystery and can from the sounds of it can vary .........but where/how can I get more detailed specs.......
Checking my records (sales brochures and magazine articles) I can offer the following.

When the 916 was released in 1994 the SP gained the following improvements / differences from the Strada:

Front Suspension: Showa Special Forks
Rear Suspension: Ohlins
Exhaust: Termignoni
Fuel Injection: Webber Marelli P8 (with 2 injectors per cylinder)
Brakes: 320mm Brembo full floating cast iron rotors
Horizontal Cylinder: No insignia placed on rocker cover
Rear Subframe: Aluminum
Carbon Parts: Front guard, radiator shroud and airbox lower
Lightened internals including: flywheel and Pankyl conrods
Special Inlet Cam: Corsa "G" grind
Valves: bigger inlet and exhaust valves
Studs: cylinder stud spacing was wider thus enabling 955 barrels to be easily fitted

(There will be other differences as well)

As time passed the carbon body parts were eliminated and even the brakes seemed to be optional.

In 1994, Ducati claimed 195kg and [email protected] for a Strada and 192kg and [email protected] for a SP

In 1997, Ducati claims 204kg and [email protected] for a Strada and 195kg and [email protected] for a SP

These weights are believable since in 1994 there wasn't a Biposto, so these values probably reflect the difference between a Monoposto and a Biposto in the Strada model. Additionally, in 1995 the voltage regulator was uprated and an extra bolt was added to the crankcase (to increase stiffness), this may also be reflected in the changes in weight.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,977 Posts
we sold a couple of them, afaik it's just a 1996 916SP with a little plate to make it feel special. same as any other 916SP from what i have seen. they weren't complianced out here, a dealer in wa (thoroughbred m/c) got the compliance done, which you bought as a kit from them for $2,000 from memory. we did quite a few. they didn't get compliance on the top sp model until the '99 996sps. all the '97 and '98 916sps we sold also used the thoroughbred compliance kit.

big hole in the midrange, comes on hard around 7,000 rpm - g inlet, a exhaust cams. many got 955 kits, a fashion of the times. not sure if the cases are the later sps style with the cross bolts from the right, etc. early 916sp cases will crack if you rev it lots. feels great to ride when you're using the top end, but not overly powerful - 112 or so on the dynojet i use. with the 5 spoke marchesini mag wheels in the light gold washed out colour they look great.

the 916sp was very hard to get when new (out here anyway) and cost a lot, but anyone who bought one then has taken a real bath on it up to now - as usual, the later 996cc sps models were faster and much easier to get. keep it for 20 years tho and it'll be worth a bit more i think.
 

·
Super Moderator
Joined
·
8,185 Posts
Might aswell put this up there.

My friends 1997 916SP3 on the dyno with "before and after" PC3.

118 bhp (SAE) at 10500 rpm
97 Nm (71 ft/lbs) at 7500 rpm



//amullo
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
21 Posts
Hi Mate. I have a 916Sp3, from new has now over 50,000km's on the clock. As stated 96 model, with Ohlins rear & Showa front shocks. I have tarted mine up with L/Weight 5 spoke wheels, the usual carbon t/out, Titanium gr5 bolts t/out, radial Brembo M/Cylinders, Mag engine cover, L/weight alloy clutch, lighter B/Rotors, head work, Chipped & dyno'd, race rear sets & reverse pattern g/change, Corbin seat, custom paint job. Although 10 years old still great to ride, have ridden across Australia & back in 7days, 7600km's. Love it. Cheers Takkasan.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Takkasan said:
Hi Mate. I have a 916Sp3, from new has now over 50,000km's on the clock. As stated 96 model, with Ohlins rear & Showa front shocks. I have tarted mine up with L/Weight 5 spoke wheels, the usual carbon t/out, Titanium gr5 bolts t/out, radial Brembo M/Cylinders, Mag engine cover, L/weight alloy clutch, lighter B/Rotors, head work, Chipped & dyno'd, race rear sets & reverse pattern g/change, Corbin seat, custom paint job. Although 10 years old still great to ride, have ridden across Australia & back in 7days, 7600km's. Love it. Cheers Takkasan.
Sounds great.....just such a nice looking machine....Orig specs...?
1,000ks a Day....ya must have had a sore arse after 7 Days......

Regards..

PS...Thanks guys for all the Input/Help
 
1 - 18 of 18 Posts
Top