Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys,

I'm looking at a 1997 916 SP3. I'm not 100% sure what to look for in terms of authenticity. It's got the top triple clamp with the build number and SP3 lettering, but not sure what else to look for to confirm (as the seller is asking for a couple of $k more than a standard 916). Should it have a 955 engine? Sandcast bits on the engine? Anybody aware of chassis number/engine numbers that it should have? Any and all tips welcome.:)

thanks
Guy

·
Mayor of Simpleton
4,875 Posts
It won't be 955cc and I believe '96 was the final year of the SP.

·
Registered
444 Posts
It won't be 955cc and I believe '96 was the final year of the SP.
The first year of SPS is 1998 so the last year of SP is 1997.
the 3 after SP indicate that it is the 3th serie of SP :
- 916SP(1) in 1995
- 916SP(2) in 1996
- 916SP3 in 1997

the 916SPS was 996cc but 916SP was 916cc.
Only the 955SP was 955cc.

·
Registered
379 Posts
I'm looking at a 1997 916 SP3. I'm not 100% sure what to look for in terms of authenticity. It's got the top triple clamp with the build number and SP3 lettering, but not sure what else to look for to confirm (as the seller is asking for a couple of $k more than a standard 916). Should it have a 955 engine? Sandcast bits on the engine? Anybody aware of chassis number/engine numbers that it should have?
The 916SP3 was still available new in 1997 however, they were most likely left over models as the 916SPS was also available.

The 916SP3 was the last SP fitted with a 916cc engine (the 916SPS has a 996cc engine), so the engine number should start with ZDM916...

To determine if it is real, there are a few items that should be identifiable
- carbon front guard
- monoposto tail with aluminium frame
- Ohlins rear shock

The above are easily forged - more difficult to duplicate are the following unique parts to the 916SP models:
- P8 ECU (regular models have 1.6 ECU)
- Dual Injectors on the throttle bodies
- No lettering on the cam cover poking through the fairing behind the front wheel.
- Plate on the triple-clamp with SP3

The 916SP3 is from the darkest days of the Ducati cash flow crisis so the following may not be present
- Showa Special Forks (gold in colour)
- Full floating cast iron brakes

Finally the 916SP3 did not come with a carbon air box.

Finally, there are internal changes too (especially the cams) meaning a genuine 916SP3 will clear its throat at 7000rpm and rev all the way to the limiter without becoming breathless.

Andrew...

·
Registered
2,050 Posts
It's a real un. Notice there is no Desmo 4V DOHC lettering on the front head - they "shaved" the head slightly and cast them without lettering to give an extra few mms of wheel clearance. The SPS and 996s were the same.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Hi Guy

I have that on my TM watchlist.

I think it looks like a good buy. Especially compared to the other one listed on TM.

You mention 916s in the 8.5k range. Most of them are showing there age now, high kms, after market plastic and look pretty rough. The only nice one I have seen lately was the $10K in Hastings which I thought was a reasonable deal for very tidy 95 mod. I noticed it has disappeared off TM in last few days.

Condition wise it looks like the radiator/oil cooler show a bit of damage but everything else looks pretty mint. A couple of aftermarket parts footpegs etc but nothing that is not hard to buy to make it stock...if you want it that way.

Is it a Jap import? If so you can probably factor in it has never had a service in its life...so use belts change etc as a bargaining point. My last two dukes have been ex Jap imports.

Mint/tidy unmolested early 916 series bikes here are now near impossible to find here...let alone S/SPS models.

If I win lotto tonite I will be buying that bike.

Wayne

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Hi Guy

I have that on my TM watchlist.

I think it looks like a good buy. Especially compared to the other one listed on TM.

You mention 916s in the 8.5k range. Most of them are showing there age now, high kms, after market plastic and look pretty rough. The only nice one I have seen lately was the $10K in Hastings which I thought was a reasonable deal for very tidy 95 mod. I noticed it has disappeared off TM in last few days.

Condition wise it looks like the radiator/oil cooler show a bit of damage but everything else looks pretty mint. A couple of aftermarket parts footpegs etc but nothing that is not hard to buy to make it stock...if you want it that way.

Is it a Jap import? If so you can probably factor in it has never had a service in its life...so use belts change etc as a bargaining point. My last two dukes have been ex Jap imports.

Mint/tidy unmolested early 916 series bikes here are now near impossible to find here...let alone S/SPS models.

If I win lotto tonite I will be buying that bike.

Wayne
Hi yeah been looking for a little while. Not set on a SP just looking for a good condition one. Yep would replace belts and check the cam gear day 1. Winter a good time to get that stuff done. $17k a little more than I was planning on but looking for a long term keeper so you tend to forget that a few years on. Sounds like I'm talking myself into it! Shit.

·
Registered
368 Posts
i'll play devil's advocate, what if you bought the cheapest one going, rebuilt the motor, upgrade the suspension & wiring, maybe a set of BST wheels. which would you prefer?
The genuine SP. The "real deal" will always satisfy me, + it will retain its' value, if not increase, in the future.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts