Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
490 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 1996 916 SP3. I have had the bike for many years.

For a long time there has been a fairly pronounced dip in power at 3,900-4,300 rpm - what I mean is that it kind of chugs through that RPM range with little to no aggression, whereas she pulls really hard in the rest of the power-band.

Now on top of that, in 3,4,5, and 6th gears, it feels like the clutch is slipping... when I do my roll-on with the clutch all the way out, it slips... it feel like engine is revving but with the clutch partly in.

Okay so my mechanic cleaned the air intake cleaned - (the metal cones below the tank) and changed the oil and also the plugs and she runs much better now. There is still a slight dip in the power through that range but it's not nearly as bad no... almost unnoticeable but I'm very aware of my own bike.

So what he said is that I thought the clutch was slipping because the throttle bodies/air intake were dirty, and also I had some Iridium spark plugs in there which he says are only good for the track. Is that BS?

Plugs were dirty, oil was old, clutch is new... I am just a rider... so I wonder if this all adds up? Anybody have any insights?

Thanks in advance, -Badass

Attachments

·
Registered
627 Posts
I had some Iridium spark plugs in there which he says are only good for the track. Is that BS?
BS. One thing that's important to remember is that Iridium plugs NEED to be gapped larger. Some owners make the mistake of gapping them to the specification for non-iridium/platinum plugs. You have to install them as gapped (0.035 in.) straight out of the box, NOT the 0.024 in. that Ducati specifies for use with conventional spark plugs. NGK iridium plugs have a caution on the packet NOT to alter the gap on their plugs because the iridium electrodes can tolerate a larger gap for the same voltage.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts