Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Just picked up a 916 this weekend. When test riding it I noticed a slow crank, and sounded like a typical low battery charge.
When I got home I ran out and got a new battery and mounted it but its the exact same slow turn on start up.

I searched this site an a couple others yesterday and today and noticed there is often lead issues for the batter to the starter and that an upgraded wire may fix it.

I just placed and order for the Motorwheels kit for the new cables, and I will swap it on as soon as it comes in, but as I wait is there anything else I should be checking that may also be causing this issue?

T

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks I did buy the cables and they should be in on Friday.

Checked the ground lines when I swapped the new battery on and there wasn't really much build up or corrosion on them. The biggest thing to me was the fact that there are so many leads from the positive and negative terminals that I am questioning maybe there is a short in one of those lines causing it to lose cranking amps.

This was a used track bike, and I have by no means gone through it fully yet, but just out of curiosity how many lines does the 916/996 have to the battery stock?

Cause I believe I have like 6 on each side??:confused:

No idea what's all connected and will have to trace them back, but I'm doubting Ducati planned to have this much connected at the battery.

Here below is the original battery which had a modded top bracket and bottom tray to fit it. I reverted back to the OEM one but at least you can see what I mean buy "so many leads"

Attachments

·
Registered
59 Posts
I just installed the motoelectric cables about a week ago. The bike starts instantly now with no sluggish turnover. Before the starter really sounded like it was struggling to turn the twin over.

While I was in there I also replaced the wiring to the starter relay and the connector at the regulator. They had evidence of overheating and corrosion. I think the acidic vapor from the battery was causing the corrosion at the relay- I just replaced the whole relay and wiring.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Thanks I did buy the cables and they should be in on Friday.

Checked the ground lines when I swapped the new battery on and there wasn't really much build up or corrosion on them. The biggest thing to me was the fact that there are so many leads from the positive and negative terminals that I am questioning maybe there is a short in one of those lines causing it to lose cranking amps.

This was a used track bike, and I have by no means gone through it fully yet, but just out of curiosity how many lines does the 916/996 have to the battery stock?

Cause I believe I have like 6 on each side??:confused:

No idea what's all connected and will have to trace them back, but I'm doubting Ducati planned to have this much connected at the battery.

Here below is the original battery which had a modded top bracket and bottom tray to fit it. I reverted back to the OEM one but at least you can see what I mean buy "so many leads"
I don't have an "after" photo for after I replaced the wiring, but here is what it looked like after I removed the battery. Only 2 cables each side. I ride often enough the battery tender is only used in the winter.

Attachments

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks Piercems3!
Picture is also very helpful, I'll do some chasing tonight and figure out what everything goes two... hopefully I have the same results as you after I replace the leads.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts