Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The stock Ducati P/N for these is 699.2.072.1A... can anyone confirm whether or not they are the same, e.g., interchangeable? After speaking to a couple of dealers, I was led to believe that this P/N is for a single wellnut, and that the price was around $8.50 per unit.

Meanwhile, MotoWheels and ProItalia sell Windscreen "kits" with 9 wellnuts, for around $20.00. Is this cost difference due to the material used? The stock wellnuts are CRES while those in the kits appear to be AL. Is it that simple or am I missing something?

·
Premium Member
579 Posts
Go with the aftermarket ones, I wasted the money on the Ducati ones one time and it most certainly wasn't worth it. Went with the aftermarket ones the last time and they worked perfect.

·
Premium Member
6,105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Go with the aftermarket ones, I wasted the money on the Ducati ones one time and it most certainly wasn't worth it. Went with the aftermarket ones the last time and they worked perfect.
Thank you sir, am definitely leaning that way... do you know if they are interchangeable between the windscreen and the fairing? I see no difference between them when I look at them.

·
Premium Member
396 Posts
No, the windscreen ones are the smaller M4 (4 mm) version while the fairings use M5. They look the same unless you have one of each in your hand or try to use the wrong nut (By the way, the big ones on your headlight bucket, license plate hanger in the heat shield, etc are M6).

In addition, the stock windscreen ones require a "torx" type tool though I was installing/removing them with a ball end Allen key jammed in there. The tool made it a lot easier :)
Here's the Torx tool I was using:
SlingShot Racing Windscreen Torx Tool

When I finished up Anatra I went with ProBolt kits. They are aluminum, come in all sorts of colors, and come with the well nuts. They also use standard Allen keys instead of the Torx.

Note that ProBolt has 2 kits: a fairing kit and a windscreen kit. They sell the windscreen kit separately (go figure - I called their USA office in Florida and the rep didn't get it either).

The fairing kit has the bolts for the front mud guard (fender) and the nose cone in addition to the fairing bolts/nuts. It also had replacements for the Duzs fasteners and receptacles but I didn't use those (went with Titanium 1/4-turns and zinc plated Duzs receptacles).

I went with the kits in gold and they came with black (on the big bolts) nylon/plastic washers to protect the paint (the bolts that use the well nuts use clear/white "washers").

If you want just the well nuts you may find them in a really good hardware store or you can get them from TPO Parts (that has a forum discount code "csb12" on checkout):
TPO Parts Well Nuts 10 packs
TPO Parts Well Nuts, Singles
Select M4 for the windscreen, M5 for the fairing halves, and M6 for the ones on the headlight bucket etc.

You can see a lot of the ProBolt stuff in this picture:

·
Premium Member
6,105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
No, the windscreen ones are the smaller M4 (4 mm) version while the fairings use M5. They look the same unless you have one of each in your hand or try to use the wrong nut (By the way, the big ones on your headlight bucket, license plate hanger in the heat shield, etc are M6).
Dude... as usual, you are a wealth of knowledge on this stuff. Thanks so much, I really appreciate it.

·
Premium Member
396 Posts

·
Registered
2,050 Posts
LT at Desmotimes sells a complete SS bolt kit that includes new (allen) screen/fairing bolts and wellnuts - 50$ for the whole kit, well worth it to get rid of any corroded bolts and replace all the wellnuts.
Desmo Times Product 234 - Fastener Kits

1 - 7 of 7 Posts