1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
490 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay... dream on.

Opinions PLEASE!!

Take your pick:

If you had the choice of a 916 Senna in great condition (8k miles), or a perfect 916SP (a true SP with the 955 engine, confirmed by VIN number), also with 8k miles, which would you choose?

The reason I'm asking is because I may be choosing between one of these two. The Senna is SLIGHTLY cheaper in price and the SP is in a bit better condition.

Both are just about the maximum I want to spend for a bike and I know I'd love either.

Thoughts?

Cheers!

alexxx

·
Premium Member
8,727 Posts
For me, I would go with the SP. BTW, I was in your town last year and plan on returning next year. Maybe we can meet up and talk bikes.

·
Registered
490 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Cool mate! Which town is that though? I am from Portland, Oregon, although I have lived in Venice, CA for quite a while, and am not in Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia. Anyway, always happy to meet another Ducatisti.

Cheers!

alexxx

·
Premium Member
8,727 Posts
Kuala Lumpur is where I go, to bad I'm not there for MotoGP.

·
Super Moderator
8,211 Posts
The senna has two things going for it.
1. Numbered limited edition bike
2. Some odd bits upgraded

The SP has a few things going for it
1. Limited edition, numbered bike
2. Really nice engine
3. Very few made.

I´d go with the SP. The Senna is nice, but it´s all show and no go. The SP is all show and all go. But a 996sps/f would be even better :)

·
Registered
835 Posts
thats a tough choice... i would get the more "rare" (senna, if it is more rare)one... but depends on what you are buying it for too..........

·
Registered
5,136 Posts
ducati955 said:
thats a tough choice... i would get the more "rare" (senna, if it is more rare)one... but depends on what you are buying it for too..........
But the true 955cc SP3 is far rarer than the Senna, they only made 50 and only for the US. I think they made 300 or so of the Senna mk I and then a few hundred more mk II.

Senna is a 916 with Ohlins and different paint job, SP3 has the Ohlins, 955cc twin injector SP motor and other goodies - to me it's a no-brainer. :)

·
Registered
490 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
It would be a weekend rider! I can't buy it and not ride it.

Yeah, I think the SP is better, although it's a bit more expensive.

BTW, I did see a SENNA in the MoMA in LA. It was surrounded by designer furniture! Wow, that was really special to see that bike in a museum, with a bunch of other extremely well designed items.

Thanks all for your input!

·
Registered
490 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
BTW John...

I am in KL.

Call me if you're in town!

016-266-5099.

Just dial the above number direct with no prefixes, as long as you're within Malaysia.

Cheers!

alexxx

·
Registered
12 Posts
Go for the SP - no question.....

The Senna is a gorgeous bike BUT.....the SP was the basis point for the WSB racer, depending on year the SP has better suspension, a genuine 955 engine is about as good as it gets - I recall BFB did a 955 kit but a real 955 is rare as hens teeth, lighter wheels, ohlins, lighter, more carbon so a real no brainer.

One thing I have noticed about SP's and SPS's is they tend to be parts bin specials, when I bought mine - a 2000 model I had a choice of 3 and all despite being same year and brand new were all different specs, mine having more carbon fiber.

Go SP.....

·
Registered
1,802 Posts
If it's a genuine 955SP it will have it indicated on the engine number. The 955's also had the speedo in kph, coolant temp in degrees C. The engine number is the big one. And the VIN number will be short 3 digits from standard. There will also be asterisks in the VIN number which designates a Corse built frame.

If you want the best running desmoquattro get a 916SPS, which is the 996 engine. They had Ti rods and the SPS cams. Two big advantages. For the two you listed get the 955 if it checks out. easy choice.

·
Registered
106 Posts
If it's a genuine 955SP it will have it indicated on the engine number. The 955's also had the speedo in kph, coolant temp in degrees C. The engine number is the big one. And the VIN number will be short 3 digits from standard. There will also be asterisks in the VIN number which designates a Corse built frame.

If you want the best running desmoquattro get a 916SPS, which is the 996 engine. They had Ti rods and the SPS cams. Two big advantages. For the two you listed get the 955 if it checks out. easy choice.
:confused::confused::confused:

"badass916sp" Was asking and searching about those bikes in January from 2006.... maybe he allready have decided what bike to buy... no???? :rolleyes:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.