Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I listed my 916 for sale, and I’ve had a lot of interest really quickly. People wanting to buy it for my asking price waaaaay quicker than I expected. I have 2 questions.
1) Is it under priced?
2) what kind of payment would y’all accept?

I recently sold my monster and that was fairly uneventful. Have $1,000 cash up front, then paid the rest in cash shortly thereafter.

Some guy wants the 916, and is trying to do some kind of check from his “cashless bank”. Sounds kind of strange to me. Tried to do PayPal at first, but I balked at that. Just seeing if there are any scams in particular I should be on the lookout for.
The ad:
Check out this 1995 Ducati 916 Monoposto shared from the CycleTrader iOS App.
1995 Ducati 916 Monoposto, Rowlett TX - - Cycletrader.com

·
Premium Member
1997 748 Mono
63 Posts
I can't speak to price but others will I'm sure. As far as payment type, just do whatever you are comfortable with, it's a lot of money and not worth the stress to worry about it. I bought a bike recently and I used a payment app for a big chunk of it because it was during Covid lockdown and the banks weren't open - but the seller was cool with it so no sweat. Cash is getting less common even for big ticket items but if you want cash in hand then just insist on it. With that bike you aren't going to have trouble setting parameters!

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I can't speak to price but others will I'm sure. As far as payment type, just do whatever you are comfortable with, it's a lot of money and not worth the stress to worry about it. I bought a bike recently and I used a payment app for a big chunk of it because it was during Covid lockdown and the banks weren't open - but the seller was cool with it so no sweat. Cash is getting less common even for big ticket items but if you want cash in hand then just insist on it. With that bike you aren't going to have trouble setting parameters!
I don’t have to have cash in hand, but I’ve heard some horror stories about having funds getting reversed (usually PayPal related), and I’m not on top of all that anymore. Just don’t want to get scammed through Zelle, or Venmo, or whatever.

·
Registered
1,234 Posts
U.S. Postal Money Orders---They have to go to a post office plop down cash to get them & they are made out to you. --I personally have not heard of any scams with U.S. PMO's ---that is another option

·
Premium Member
794 Posts
Well, it's a Varese bike so maybe it's priced low or maybe it's priced perfectly but whatever - too late to question it now.

As far as money goes, most trustworthy buyers have several ways to pay and you choose the one that you like best.. There are usually at least a couple of those that I always like.

·
Registered
3,831 Posts
Without stock parts to replace the aftermarket items, maybe $6k. If you have all the original parts, that bike is worth $7,500 to me, to me.

·
Registered
427 Posts
1) Yes
2) Wire transfer

·
Registered
1,449 Posts
Why sell? I mean, I get it, sometimes it's time to move on etc. Everyone I know who's owned one or one of it's siblings regrets selling. Sure, they could buy another but their connection to the next machine isn't there.

I waited a life time to buy my 996. My only regret is that I didn't pull that trigger sooner. Now that it is in my garage, there it will stay until the day I can't ride anymore. Then it will move to my living room.

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
Why sell? I mean, I get it, sometimes it's time to move on etc. Everyone I know who's owned one or one of it's siblings regrets selling. Sure, they could buy another but their connection to the next machine isn't there.

I waited a life time to buy my 996. My only regret is that I didn't pull that trigger sooner. Now that it is in my garage, there it will stay until the day I can't ride anymore. Then it will move to my living room.
My plan is to sell everything, buy a sailboat, and try to do something ridiculous.

otherwise I would never sell it.

·
Registered
1,234 Posts
My plan is to sell everything, buy a sailboat, and try to do something ridiculous.

otherwise I would never sell it.
Oh Hell mate --a sailboat -Been there done that-you think a Ducati is expensive? ---ROLFLMFAO I sailed for years and still love it but I am not going to purchase another boat--I had a Morgan Out Island 51 ------Remember the 2 best days a boat owner has--The day they purchase their boat & the day they sell their boat

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Oh Hell mate --a sailboat -Been there done that-you think a Ducati is expensive? ---ROLFLMFAO I sailed for years and still love it but I am not going to purchase another boat--I had a Morgan Out Island 51 ------Remember the 2 best days a boat owner has--The day they purchase their boat & the day they sell their boat
I’ve heard that, lol. This would be a live aboard cruiser more of a lifestyle change than a different toy. I plan to get the boat and work remotely from the boat, so keeping things in a storage building on land doesn’t really make sense.

I may be slightly crazy, but I have to try it out. 🤓

·
Registered
1,234 Posts
lol good luck with that mate

Reactions: batman137

·
Registered
113 Posts
So I listed my 916 for sale, and I’ve had a lot of interest really quickly. People wanting to buy it for my asking price waaaaay quicker than I expected. I have 2 questions.
1) Is it under priced?

I recently sold my monster and that was fairly uneventful. Have $1,000 cash up front, then paid the rest in cash shortly thereafter.

Some guy wants the 916, and is trying to do some kind of check from his “cashless bank”. Sounds kind of strange to me. Tried to do PayPal at first, but I balked at that. Just seeing if there are any scams in particular I should be on the lookout for.
The ad:
I’ve owned several of these and just bought another. If the OP’s bike were closer to TN I’d have considered it. I did see the ad.

In response to the OP, if that bike were mine I’d be asking more for it. Like $9k+ if the all the service paperwork is there. And I’d have it on one of the more boutique type sites (rare sport bikes or iconic motor bike auctions). Original parts sure, but I’d sell the accessories separately. That’s a lot of money you’re giving away in parts, I am speaking from experience.

And cashiers check or money order. Nothing digital.

·
Registered
29 Posts
It’s all about the money these days! All. About. The. Monneyyy! Even in our motorcycle community.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Only take cash or wire transfer, Period.

1) Is it under priced?

The ad:

1 - 18 of 18 Posts