Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
490 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 916 SP3 stalled a few times and I heard a pop or two/sputtering.

It happened twice or three times at idle after the bike is already warmed up.

Might it be old spark plugs?

Bike runs well at higher revs, on the highway to work it was fine, but I didn't push it much.

It even sputtered/missed a bit when I was moving off the line at a green light-- felt like a cylinder didn't fire.

Any ideas for me? Thanks in advance.

alexxx

·
Registered
5,143 Posts
The plugs can 'consume' after time and so end up with larger gaps so worth checking, otherwise sounds like it could be a lean air/fuel mix? air leaks in the exhaust system? or maybe check the TPS/balance/CO setup.

·
Registered
1,604 Posts
My 916 started sputtering during a track day session. I had a bad pressure sensor. I would check all your sensors (temp and pressure).

Mike

·
Registered
490 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys, still haven't sorted it out. But I'll let you know. I hope it's something simple.

Next is probably the usual... new chain, tires, brake pads. Those should be good 'upgrades'.

·
Registered
380 Posts
My 916 SP3 stalled a few times and I heard a pop or two/sputtering.

It happened twice or three times at idle after the bike is already warmed up.

Might it be old spark plugs?

Bike runs well at higher revs, on the highway to work it was fine, but I didn't push it much.

It even sputtered/missed a bit when I was moving off the line at a green light-- felt like a cylinder didn't fire.

Any ideas for me? Thanks in advance.

alexxx
The old 916 SP bikes were angry machines and do not like idling and low revs generally (the 996 and 998 bikes are civilied by comparison). They will remind you of thier contempt for your driving style by stalling, spitting back, exhaust popping etc. Ride it hard (+7000 rpm) and it will come smooth and real power starts.

As a result, tuning is critical. If the spark plugs and fuel are getting old then fresh plugs and fuel will do wonders for the bike. Check the the TPS and throttle body balance (and while you're at it fit new belts). If all this is good than the bike should idle and run.

A faulty sensor can be difficult to detect and are normally fueled quite well by Ducati (the SP bikes have Termi pipes as standard).

Another issue may be the battery is tired and the voltage regulator isn't up to the task at low revs resulting in erratic running.

Good luck

Andrew...

·
Registered
797 Posts
You are joking, right?
A possible reason could be valves, or worn rockers throwing your clearances way off, seen it many times!
Chain, tires or brake pads will not affect an engine issue...........

Thanks guys, still haven't sorted it out. But I'll let you know. I hope it's something simple.

Next is probably the usual... new chain, tires, brake pads. Those should be good 'upgrades'.

·
Registered
490 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks guys. I checked the plugs (they're fine) and valves are fine too.

I am now pretty sure that the problem was water seepage into the tank when it rained here a lot.

For the last few years it's been garaged, so never an issue with rain... i just assumed that leaving it in the rain was ok.

I'll run this tank out and refill, then see how it goes.

(Tires and chain just needed for maintenance-- an aside only)

cheers!

·
Super Moderator
8,220 Posts
I have to agree with Andrew on this. Ducati´s SP models in particular where angry bikes with a definite Italian temper to them. My 748SP was much the same at low speed. It spit, bucked and generally didn´t like enginespeeds under 3500 RPM at all. The aggressive cams have abit to to with it. A buddy of mine had a 916SP3 that was very rough in traffic, but on the track it really shined. It even let loose with black smoke when revving it after a longer period of idling.

Make sure your TPS is dialled in and look at getting the fuelmap looked at by a good tuner. SP and SPS bike need more attention then a stock bike, but you probably know that already.. Valve checks and checking stuff like belt tension aswell as TPS and tb sync now and again will give you a much happier bike to ride.

//amullo

·
Registered
490 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks Amullo.

I remember reading your posts at least SEVERAL years ago, I know you're one of the core forum guys.

Yes I read about the bits on my bike... amazing parts list.

And the first time I rode it, I instantly felt it was faster than my plain 916, which of course I had ridden around for a few years and was extremely familar with in terms of performance.

The SP3 that I have will lift its front wheel off the ground (1.5 inches) in moderate acceleration when it hits higher revs. Then you hit 2nd gear and keep going!

The funny thing I noticed with this sputtering was that it stopped happening when I didnt run it hard. Maintained at under 3,000 rpm seemed to keep it from sputtering...

when i hit 150kph and revved it hard, the symptoms seemed to worsen.

Most amazing was a really nice sounding backfire and gargle... if only it hadn't been sick.

Seems to have improved a lot and I'm running the gas almost completely out before I add more new fuel.

Thanks Fellas.

alexxx

1 - 11 of 11 Posts