Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
565 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
916 - Rear brake caliper hanger getting "shaved"

Hey all,

I noticed this the other day but I can't figure out what is wrong. The bolt heads on the rear disc have shaved grooves into the rear brake caliper hanger bracket. It isn't bad, maybe ~1mm out but I can't figure out why it has happened?

From what I remember, there is just a large O-ring and a thin washer/spacer that dictate the gap between the hanger and the disc so I don't know how it could be wrong?

Any ideas?

Thanks
Luke

·
Premium Member
5,643 Posts
I think the only path forward is to pull it apart and check the condition of the bearings and such.

·
Registered
2,478 Posts
there are thin spacers with o-rings on both sides of the bracket, supposed to be

·
Registered
2,478 Posts
looks like you rotor bolts are rubbing, wrong or loose bolts, they are a thin head bolt??? also check the big cir-clip to see if mounted properly.

·
Registered
364 Posts
Hey all,

I noticed this the other day but I can't figure out what is wrong. The bolt heads on the rear disc have shaved grooves into the rear brake caliper hanger bracket. It isn't bad, maybe ~1mm out but I can't figure out why it has happened?

From what I remember, there is just a large O-ring and a thin washer/spacer that dictate the gap between the hanger and the disc so I don't know how it could be wrong?

Any ideas?

Thanks
Luke
wiggle the rear wheel up and down see if there is any play in the hub assembly. Odds are, there is and the culprit is the hub spacer on the sprocket side.

·
Registered
5,136 Posts
Does this have the older type of sprocket carrier - the type with a circlip that locates it rather than the tapered spacer? Because if so the groove wears and the carrier works it's way in to machine the swingarm but if the 'play' went the other way (towards the sprocket by retorqueing the sprocket nut) then I wonder if it could move over far enough to do this?

I know the bolt heads are close as I fitted a thicker aftermarket rear disc and actually had to counterbore the bolt holes deeper as it was too close for comfort.

Certainly need to investigate the location of the stub axle...

·
Registered
5,136 Posts
Old 916 type, showing the worn groove;

Later 998 type with solid tapered spacer;

Mine just machined away the hub a little.

·
Registered
2,048 Posts
The axle butts up directly against the bearing on the hub. The caliper hanger is held in via circlip and there is no direct contact with the axle. If there is a clearance issue on the wheel side it's likely a bearing problem, or you left the circlip off allowing the hanger to drift outward on the hub into the brake disc.

I can't see OP's original pics but as Gary noted if you have the wrong bolts installed this could be your problem as well. May be just enough clearance with the bike on the stand, but then when under load flexing around going down the road they may make contact.

·
Premium Member
565 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for all the replies.

Yep, the circle is definitely installed. Pretty sure these are stock bolts (looking at ref of my older 1996 916). Both o-rings and thin spacers are fitted

Only thing I have done is replaced the swingarm, so I assume it has happened since then. I will pull the hub apart and see what I can see. No distinctive play in the bearings from what I can make out

1 - 10 of 10 Posts