Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 916 restoration is almost complete, just recently spin it on the dyno, and found out I'm totally on the rich side of A/F mixture. After reviewing my dyno results, I figure I need to use PCIII to build a proper fuel map for it.

My setup is: 916 stock engine, 748 throttle bodies bore out to match 916 inlets, cored stock 45mm 916 exhaust system, 916 biposto 1.6M Eprom with Ultimap UM181 chip.

The questions are: Which power commander III do I use? Since Power Commander website don't list item for 916 model. How different is 748 PCIII vs 996 PCIII?

·
Registered
680 Posts
Any 748 or 996 and even a 749/999 will work. You would likely want to start with a zero map anyway since you have an FIM chip.
My 916 restoration is almost complete, just recently spin it on the dyno, and found out I'm totally on the rich side of A/F mixture. After reviewing my dyno results, I figure I need to use PCIII to build a proper fuel map for it.

My setup is: 916 stock engine, 748 throttle bodies bore out to match 916 inlets, cored stock 45mm 916 exhaust system, 916 biposto 1.6M Eprom with Ultimap UM181 chip.

The questions are: Which power commander III do I use? Since Power Commander website don't list item for 916 model. How different is 748 PCIII vs 996 PCIII?

·
Registered
5,143 Posts
I have the 705-411, which is listed for a 996 and works/fits perfectly on a 916 but, as said above, you'll need to load a zero map then get it custom mapped to suit.

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the feedbacks, I will proly order 996 PCIII, since they are available to me immediately.

I'm planing on trying every available maps from PC website, then figure out which one is most suitable for my setup, then build a custom map from there............Wow, come to think of it, that will nearly 100 runs on the Dyno.

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Any 748 or 996 and even a 749/999 will work. You would likely want to start with a zero map anyway since you have an FIM chip.
I thought 749/999 had different pin-outs on the EPROM & throttle bodies connector?

·
Registered
797 Posts
Thanks for the feedbacks, I will proly order 996 PCIII, since they are available to me immediately.

I'm planing on trying every available maps from PC website, then figure out which one is most suitable for my setup, then build a custom map from there............Wow, come to think of it, that will nearly 100 runs on the Dyno.
Trying every map sounds like a big waste of time, but if ya have the time, I guess.

Every bike is slightly different and your dyno shop is going to build the best map possible for "your" bike, not someone else's.

That's the great part of having a map made, it's made for your bike, and should produce the best power/smoothness/torque for your bike.

Aso when buying any 748-996 PCIII make sure its a USB port model, as some are still trying to sell the old versions..............I had an old one that said PCIII but was not a USB port, and most good dyno shops will not dyno your bike with the older style, especially with the DynoJet 250i........
Cheers,
Mark

·
Premium Member
73 Posts

Just some FYI for you to consider. Check with Dynojet to see if a PCIII actually does anything when hooked up to a 916. There's a reason Dynojet does not list a Power Commander for your bike. I tried to use one on my 1997 916SPS. I had Don Babb at Modesto Ducati try and make a custom map for my bike. He had bungs welded into the exhaust headers for the gas analysers to map the individual cylinders. After going to all that trouble then putting it on the Dyno and trying to make the custom map, he found that he could not make any ajdustments at all. He called Dynojet to see what was up. Dynojet told him that although the PCIII will plug right into the older Ducati wireing harness like the 916 and even the 851s and 888s they won't actually change anything. I know there are guys on the 851/888 forum who swear that they plug in Power Commanders to those older bikes and get all kinds of improvements in there bikes. This just my experience and Modesto Ducati is an authorized Dynojet tuning center and Don Babb who runs the shop is a guy I race with in AFM, and I know he knows what he is doing when it comes to Ducatis. Just my two cents, but I would talk to Dynojet directly before spending any money on this.

·
Premium Member
73 Posts
Sean,

By the way I was having the same issue(running way to rich) after rebuilding my motor with Ferracci pistons, valves, cams, eprom, and exhaust. That's why I wanted to try custom mapping. Don finally got hold of Eraldo Ferracci and the problem was so simple. The air filters were to restrictive. Eraldo said check the air filters, if using the large usually green in color foam filter that fits over the velocity stacks or the small Mad Duc filters that snap onto the velocity stacks(which is what I had) it won't run right. We took off the filters and it ran perfectly, 131 RWHP and 76 ftlbs touque. I have since made some custom filters out of 999 race filters where they are attached to the inside of the airbox, so nothing is covering the actual velocity stack.

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for the heads up, I will confirm with PC.

I've heard that PC won't work on 916 with P8, and I'm also aware of that 748/916/996 1.6M EPROM are identical hardwares, its the EPROM chip that does the magics. I believed PCIII was designed to be competible with EPROM, since all memories are burnt into the ROM chip, and PCIII was designed to alter these ROM during operation. Unlike the P8 system where everything is nearly run on RAM, which is completely erased everytime the power is off.

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Sean,

By the way I was having the same issue(running way to rich) after rebuilding my motor with Ferracci pistons, valves, cams, eprom, and exhaust. That's why I wanted to try custom mapping. Don finally got hold of Eraldo Ferracci and the problem was so simple. The air filters were to restrictive. Eraldo said check the air filters, if using the large usually green in color foam filter that fits over the velocity stacks or the small Mad Duc filters that snap onto the velocity stacks(which is what I had) it won't run right. We took off the filters and it ran perfectly, 131 RWHP and 76 ftlbs touque. I have since made some custom filters out of 999 race filters where they are attached to the inside of the airbox, so nothing is covering the actual velocity stack.
Thanks again for that info, and yes I've tried the air filter method, its a standard testing procedure when we dyno a bike anyway. I found that, by removing the in-tube filter completely, I can gain 2rwhp, but I'm still on the rich side of A/F mixture. I don't wanna use filters on velocity stakcs, this will change airbox volume, which will make me rich even more. I may go with BCM filters once I get the carbon airbox and tube setup in the future.

Anyway, my 916 is sitting at 104rwhp with 61ft-lb torque without in-tube air filters, A/F mixture at 12.0:1 (I'm going for 14.0:1).

·
Registered
797 Posts
have you tried adjusting the idle trimmer?

12:1 is not too bad at wot, 14:1 is too lean.
Aggreed, should be around 13.2, right?

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
No guys, 12:1 is terrible, this is not carb days, we talking fuel injection here.

It really should be 13~14:1, and it makes more power when its close to 14:1 anyway.

And idle trimmer is for idle only, it really doesn't do anything once throttle is beyond 1/4 position. And yes, I played with it.

·
Premium Member
8,739 Posts
Aggreed, should be around 13.2, right?
Could be coincidence, but the 13.2 figure seems to be the optimum figure while using a FatDuc manipulator on Multistradas.

·
Registered
3,977 Posts
No guys, 12:1 is terrible, this is not carb days, we talking fuel injection here.

It really should be 13~14:1, and it makes more power when its close to 14:1 anyway.

And idle trimmer is for idle only, it really doesn't do anything once throttle is beyond 1/4 position. And yes, I played with it.
the idle trimmer affects the whole map, more so at lower pulse widths (lower throttle openings), but it will have an effect at wot. on the dyno i use 12.5 or so usually gives best power. you'll lose power going to 14 i'd expect. 13.2 seems to be the number dynojet tell everyone is best.

the UM181 eprom usually works really well when set up right.

·
Senior Narcissista
5,737 Posts
With the gear I use, innovative, 12,5:1 gives max power on stock bikes some tuned bikes gives max a bit leaner.
I go for whatever each engine needs to produce max, afr is just a control value.

For air filter on 916 style bikes, I use the DT1 with cage inside, it gives exactly the same power as no filter, safe and no loss.
I have tried other over the stacks filters and they have been robbing 4-5 hp, so you need to get the DT1.
I have tried this filter in the dyno at 5 occasions over 3 years and the before/after lines are on top of each other all the way.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts