Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
565 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey

I'm part the way through an oil change and I pulled the oil pickup filter for a clean and it has a fair few metallic particles in it. I can take a pic tomorrow to better illustrate, but I know particles in the filter can be a warning sign for something bad.

Has anyone got any pic(s) of what would be considered normal wear, what deposits you get when the oil gallery plug starts backing out and what you get when the rocker arms start flaking? The particles are aluminum, and not chrome, so I doubt it is the rockers, but it would be good to see for reference!

(Bike is a 1996 916 SP3)

Thanks
Luke

·
Registered
2,050 Posts
Depends on the size and shape. Galley plug would be alloy but usually looks like slivers or fingernail clippings. A few small chips isn't much to worry about. Some big chunks, start worrying.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Hi lukemillar,

You can have a look at my post and see what I found recently :

http://www.ducati.ms/forums/56-superbikes/152228-2000-ducati-996-red-bull-preparation-4.html

It is not scaring me that much...but I will attend one first track day with the bike in beginning of may and right after I'm going to inspect the oil strainer again...just to see if things are better or worst...

My point of view is : If you find some aluminum or chrome looking flakes on the oil strainer...make sure to doublechek this oil strainer really often..maybe like each 200-500 miles...

If after 500 miles you check it again and you find the same amount of metal flakes or even worst more of it...you will need to doublecheck the crank oil gallery plug and the rockers...

It is not the end of the world...but it needs to be followed really carefully....

The worst thing to do is puting everything back with new oil and wait til the next oil change in 6,000 miles...then everything could be far worst...

I hope it helps you...:)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts