Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

For the first time in about 8 months I was finally able to go for a ride and it nearly went real bad.
Stopped at the pub on the return trip and thought I could smell fuel. Guy I was with mentioned he got some on him when we fuelled up so I didnt think anymore of it.
Unfortunately when I got home the smell was worse and I noticed a leak on the garage floor. Pants I was wearing stank of fuel.
The hot day could have been real hot...
Before I start randonmly pulling things to pieces does anyone have suggestions on where this might be coming from?
Nearest shop I could take it to is unfortunately about 250ks away.
Any advice or some pointers would be appreciated :)

·
Old Wizard
3,006 Posts
Also, check the o-rings on the fuel line quick disconnect male fittings (under the tank) for a leak.

Fuel-Rated Quick-Disconnect O-Rings (Male)

Viton (Fluorocarbon) O-Ring (black)
AS568A Dash # 011, 7/16 inch O.D. by 5/16 inch I.D. by 1/16inch wide

McMaster-Carr # 9464K16, $8.57 per 100 pack.
McMaster-Carr

Marco size 2-011, $11 per 250 pack
Marco Rubber - O-Ring, Seal, Fitting, & Component Super Store (Kalrez, Viton, Parker, Metric, Custom)

The local dealer charges $.94 each.

Viton (Fluorocarbon) o-rings have better compatibility with gasoline than Buna-N (Nitrile) o-rings.

·
Registered
1,937 Posts
First off don't worry, these things are alot easier to work on then what you think. Pull the seat off to lift the tank (unbolting of course)...lift it slightly and see if you can see where it might be coming from. There's only two spots it could be....fuel line (could be cracked) or the "O" ring for the fuel pump. Of which are both easy fix's. Check both of those and check back so we can walk you through them. Just remember when you try to lift the tank, slightly pull it back as there is a peg in the front that it sits in.

·
Come in Spinner :)
8,553 Posts
There are 4 places it could be leaking, fuel line disconnect O ring, fuel pump base O ring, fuel sensor O ring or cracked nut, split fuel hose.

·
Registered
334 Posts
Just went through this with my 748, it was the cheap ass plastic nut on the fuel sender, motowheels.com (guy above) hooked me up with a beautiful billet replacement. Only part that sucked was having to cut my fuel sending wires and solder them back because I didn't want to mess with unhooking all the individual leads at the connector, but even that is easy.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Clicked a few too many buttons and wound up ordering 200 o-rings from McMaster Carr. So... if that winds up being the problem, and you're in the lower 48, send me a PM.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts