Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

I have a 916 that I've had in storage for a while that I'm trying to get running again.

I have replaced just about everything in the fuel tank, all lines, new pump (cheap ebay one), and it just wont fire up.

I can hear the fuel pump come on (although it's a lot quieter than I remember it being), and it turns over fine, but doesn't come to life.

When I disconnect the fuel lines at the bottom of the tank (the quick connect ones) there isn't even a drop of fuel that spills, and it doesn't seem like there is any fuel in the lines.

Is it possible that I need to bleed air out of the fuel rail?

Just racking my brain trying to figure out what it could be.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
832 Posts
Stuck pressure regulator? Cracked fuel filter?

This is obviously wrong you should have a little fuel dripping out when disconnecting and there must be fuel in the line.

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Stuck pressure regulator? Cracked fuel filter?

This is obviously wrong you should have a little fuel dripping out when disconnecting and there must be fuel in the line.
I have a new fuel filter on as well.

What is the pressure regulator and where is it located?

Edit - I see what it is now. I took that off and inspected it and it looked fine to me (not that that means anything). There is a small nipple on the bottom, that would appear to have a hose connected to it, but I don't believe there is? Should there be something connected to that?

Also, I've heard about people using the fuel pump from a Ford Mustang, but I don't know what year or engine size (5.0?). I would be tempted to get one and try it out, because I'm not completely convinced that the fuel pump has the needed power.

Surely it's between that and the fuel pressure regulator?

·
Registered
436 Posts
Hey guys,

I have a 916 that I've had in storage for a while that I'm trying to get running again.

I have replaced just about everything in the fuel tank, all lines, new pump (cheap ebay one), and it just wont fire up.

I can hear the fuel pump come on (although it's a lot quieter than I remember it being), and it turns over fine, but doesn't come to life.

When I disconnect the fuel lines at the bottom of the tank (the quick connect ones) there isn't even a drop of fuel that spills, and it doesn't seem like there is any fuel in the lines.

There should be fuel in the lines when you disconnect them

·
Registered
335 Posts
take the furl pump out again! check the filter is the correct way round! (they are directional) take all pipes off and clean all passages including the air bleed hoses and the unions in the pump plate and in the top of the tank! also remove the fuel cap and carefully take it apart minding you dont lose the small spring and small steel ball so you can clean the air passage in the cap!
the pressure regulator is in the base of the fuel pump held in by a circlip (next to the fuel connectors) clean the air hole that comes off of this as well!! they rarely go wrong and can be changed after you go through everything else from the outside!

i would bet a blockage, filter the wrong way, or a pipe popped off!

regards rich

·
Registered
11 Posts
Hey guys,

if in storage ....may have a small amount of water on the bottom of tank , rust blockage in or near exit tubes , poke a small allen key or somethingt try unclearing them , sounds like blockade 😉

·
Registered
1 Posts
I am working through a similar situation as I try to get my 98 748 back to life. Long story...but after about the 4th time having everything apart, I pulled the fuel pressure regulator and found partial blockage in the passage leading from the FPR(see pics). Once I cleared that out it, ran beautifully...for about 8 mins. Now it won't restart/idle...however, I am seeing a little spray of gas inside the tank when the pump primes or I try to start it. I suspect I have a line not fastened appropriately. I ordered a $40 borescope of amazon to get a better look before I tear it apart again. I'd say put 2 gallons in the tank and look through the fuel fill for gas spraying around. That might help you pinpoint if somethings not right with the reassembly. I hope you have good luck!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts